[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did I get fucked over by my LBS? I own a Surly Staggler (similar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: serveimage.jpg (215KB, 1024x636px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
215KB, 1024x636px
Did I get fucked over by my LBS?

I own a Surly Staggler (similar to pic related), I have done 9,000 km since I bought, been riding it no matter what the weather was like.

Took it in for a service and said fix brakes (replace rotors and pads if needed), tune gears, and fix anything else that needs doing.

I picked it up and the bill was £240.

They changed the BB, upgrading it to a Ultegra, replaced headset bearings, changed both rotors and put in new pads, changed chain, replaced cassette, and one gear cable.

Did I get cucked? (feels like I did)
>>
lmao wtf
>>
>>1055538
OP here, I'll take that as a yes.
>>
Hmm. I'm making up the prices based on memory and what my shop charges for labor, but
>rotor front and rear = $40
>pads front and rear = $25
>tune gears front back = $20
>new ultegra BB = $30
>new headset bearings ??? I'm gonna say $30 but I have no idea
>new chain $30
>new cassette $40
>new cable (just the cable? I'd assume housing too) + housing = $20
>labor for some of that other shit $60
$295

yeah, sounds about right

if you didn't own the tools and a workstand it probably would have cost you about the same to do it yourself this time around. but then the next time of course, it's quite a bit cheaper
>>
File: 1483370083120.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1483370083120.gif
2MB, 480x360px
Sounds pretty expensive and maybe the stuff wasn't used enough to need replacements.
This is why you need to learn the basic stuff and work on your own bike.
>>
>>1055543
>9000km on one chain in all weather
>hasn't been serviced at all
desu I'm surprised they only replaced one cable and didn't redo all the housing. maybe I just have more hills than the op but I go through pads up front maybe once every 3000 miles, england must be flat as fuck

the hub bearings could probably use a service too
>>
>>1055537
Don't stand up while riding it. Your drivetrain could fail while you're standing up and you would fall over the front of the bike.They LB shooped your chain, cassette, and spokes.
>>
>>1055546
they also transported it to a church parking lot in Minnesota
>>
>>1055537
Shouldn't have cost more than about £120 in parts. I don't know what labour rates are but I could have all that shit done in an hour, two if I was feeling really lazy.
>>
>>1055541
Those prices sound about right.

If they replaced the BB with an Ultegra one i assume every new part is at that level so the prices are quite normal. Also some of those operations are fairly work-intensive (changing headset bearings is annoying).

Also at 9,000 km on a single chain with no maintenance i'm surprised they didn't have to change the chainrings or service the bearings of the hubs.
>>
>>1055551
>Shouldn't have cost more than about £120 in parts.

Maybe with bottom of the barrel components, but an LBS using ultegra doesn't sound like the sort doing that.
>>
File: parktools.jpg (299KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
parktools.jpg
299KB, 1024x682px
>>1055537
lmao that is what you get for being a cuck who doesnt service his own bike
>>
>>1055560
First of all they get shit for cheap. Secondly only some of those components can be had in Ultegra. Thirdly Ultegra isn't necessarily that much more expensive.

Ultegra BB - £30, £16 on sale at CRC
Ultegra chain - £30, as low as £18 for 10 speed on sale
Ultegra cassette - anywhere from £40 to maybe £75

So that's a reasonable total of £74 (whilst they may not go with the cheapest options a bike shop also gets parts cheaper). For the cassette I wouldn't be surprised if they went for a cheaper wider range MTB cassette for this type of bike. So, that leaves nearly £50 for the rest of the parts which is easily doable.
>>
Seems reasonable to me. The price is about right for the work done, and those are all parts which wear out with use. The headset should usually last longer though, unless it's poorly sealed and you're always riding in shit conditions with no front fender.

What did they upgrade the BB from? The Ultegra one might have just been the closest thing they had in stock to what you had originally that was compatible with your crankset.

> and fix anything else that needs doing

Kinda sounds like you gave them free reign to fix any issues they found, and that's what they did. Maybe I'm being naive, but if your only reason to distrust this shop is that you asked them to fix any issues they found and it cost you more money than you expected, I wouldn't worry about it. Parts and labour cost money.
>>
>>1055537
>did I get ripped off
I dunno,you sure are retarded though.
>>
>>1055564
Parts at your LBS will always cost more than they do online because online retailers get stuff way cheaper than your LBS can. There's markup on the price done by the retailer, be they Chain Reaction or your LBS. Markup is higher at the LBS because of larger overhead.

Neither store will sell you a part for what they paid for it themselves.

Your calculations are pointless because all those parts cost significantly more if you buy them at the LBS, and you haven't even considered the cost of labour.
>>
>>1055571
You're arguing with a MGTOW DIY cultist, they will use all sorts of fuzzy math to make their numbers match their agenda

I do as much of my own maintenance as reasonably possible but I don't begrudge the LBS for running a business
>>
>>1055564
You forget some items. A decent rotor is about £20, a decent pad £10. A decent cable and housing would be £10. Headset bearings are fairly cheap. Say £5. Although it's quite a bit of work to service. Also for online retailers like CRC there are shipping costs to add.

With £30 BB, £30 chain and £40 cassette you mention that's a minimum of £175. Add in the work performed and £240 seems fairly realistic.
>>
>>1055571
>online retailers get stuff way cheaper than your LBS can.

That's especially true of Shimano's parts given how retarded Shimano's pricing policies are.
>>
>>1055571
> you haven't even considered the cost of labour.
And what is a typical labour rate? I just checked my LBS's site and they have a price list for individual jobs and it comes to £80 (including a gear cable and that's to completely replace a headset), no doubt they'd knock money off for having so much done at once. So, that leaves £160 at least for parts.

>Parts at your LBS will always cost more than they do online because online retailers get stuff way cheaper than your LBS can
Yes a LBS won't get parts cheaper than CRC can but they get them for less than it would cost a regular customer to buy them from CRC.

>Markup is higher at the LBS because of larger overhead.
How so?

>>1055576
I was only talking about the price of Ultegra parts. Rotors can be had for £30 a pair, I highly doubt the shop would fit ones costing £20 each.

30 - rotors
20 - pads
30 - BB
40 - cassette
10 - cable
5 - headset bearings
20 - chain

Total of £155 at most, probably less. Plus £70 labour at my shop at most (again, probably less as they'd do a deal) and you're at least £15 under what OP paid. Chances are it would cost even less. Is it a huge amount of money? Not really, but it's still more than it should be and in my opinion that would mean that OP did "get cucked".
>>
>>1055537
>Did I get cucked? (feels like I did)
not by the bike shop, no. you told them to fix everything they found wrong, they did, and charged you a fair rate to do so. you may have cucked yourself if it was not your intent to actually give the shop permission to fully inspect and repair any issues they found in addition to the service you specifically requested. of course if you're just spurting out shit and thinking the listening party is going to interpret your words in any other way than as-stated you might need to re-assess the way in which you communicate with others.

tl;dr this one's on you, homie.
>>
>>1055537
doesn't sound like they overcharged you on the face of it, but they should have called you and given an estimate of how much it cost to let you say 'no' if you wanted to.
>>
>>1055537
nice RD mate
>>
>>1055537
>tell the LBS to "fix anything else that needs doing"
>wonder why they did all that shit
Should've told them _specifically_ what needs to be done and tell them again, that you ain't paying for anything they'll do above that.
Also,
>Surly Staggler
>on Ultegra
Post that shit in the troll bike thread ASAP, mate. Could use a good laugh.
Cheers.
>>
>>1055581
Shimano's pricing is fucked and on large portion of the parts LBS buy in prices are higher than retail or sale prices on CRC or other large online vendors.
>>
>>1055537
That's your fault for giving them a blank check. I'm sure the hours and full MSRP parts add up to that much.

>>1055541
Parts are way cheaper in the UK. Just grab prices from Wiggle, or Halfords if you want to say muh brick and mortar.

>>1055551
That's a lot of work for an hour. Not saying it can't be done in an hour, but I don't think a shop would only charge an hour for it.

>>1055559
> Also some of those operations are fairly work-intensive (changing headset bearings is annoying).
It's really not.

>>1055564
They're going to charge you the shop price for parts, not give you a magic discount and give you parts at cost because you pay for labor. If they have a $10 part, they're not going to give it to you for $5 and $5 labor.

>>1055582
This

>>1055600
No, he explicitly told them to fix anything they found wrong. They're not in the wrong. And honestly, if they might by milking him, but they didn't rip him off and take him for a ride. They could have replaced all his cabling and stuff. The fact they only changed one cable means they probably only replaced stuff that actually needed replacing. Although one advantage of not fixing things all at one time is you aren't binning parts at 30-40% life.

>>1055683
The Ultegra BB is actually the same part as the 105 BB, BBR60. OP is probably trying to complain that they put fancier parts than they should have on the bike. A 105 level BB isn't really fancy.
>>
>>1055693
>that guy who replies to every post in the thread
Also an ultegra BB isn't fancy either, this thread is just full of poorfag MGTOW DIY cultists who think that shop labor should be free
>>
>>1055578
...and this is why Shimano is cracking down on Distributors and only selling direct to Shops lately
>>
>>1055537
should have just used a BB52 which is like £10
headset would have just needed greasing,
rotors only really need to be replaced if they are taco'd,
pads are like £5 for both wheels
chain is like £15
cassettes hardly need replacing,
gear cables are £1

at most with labour that should have been £75

they done you over, also it's wise to get an estimate before they touch anything, but this is the shit why LBS's are dying out.
>>
>>1055537
The only thing that's suspect to me
is the headset bearings

who Ever wears those out?
>>
>>1055713
>cassettes hardly need replacing,
>gear cables are £1
Oh come on now

>>1055714
Its a surly,the headset isnt faced so the bearing cups are crooked
>>
>>1055717
How do I know if my cups are faced? I recently reinstalled my fork and had play in the bottom bearing. Bought a new headset and all is well. (the original was a cheap necco)
>>
>>1055690
So then why wouldn't shops just get stuff from those online stores instead of Shimano? And how can those online stores get parts so cheap from Shimano that they can afford to sell them below Shimano's own price and still make a profit?

>>1055693
>That's a lot of work for an hour
It's quite a few jobs but they're all fairly quick to do. Wheels off and rotors and cassette changed in 10 minutes, chain changed in 5, pads changed in 10, headset changed in 10, BB bracket in 10, gear cable changed and gears adjusted in maybe 15.
>>
>>1055713
>cassettes hardly need replacing,
after 9000km is does need replacing.

Also gear cables (+housing) and pads are more expensive that what you think.

>>1055702
While you are partially true it depends mostly on the bike and its purpose. Why spend 50£ on a cassette for a shitty meme comuter ? On the other hand why not spend 50£ on a cassette for a bike you paid 1500£ and regulary use for real biking ?
>>
>>1055717
i've gone 3 years with a fair bit of riding, and my cassette is still almost new

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Road-Bike-Front-Rear-Inner-Gear-Cable-x-1-/281475356996?hash=item41893d1944:g:vyAAAOxy0bRTGESy

knock 50 pence off for a stamp

LBS's would get them cheaper as they buy them in bulk
>>
>>1055713
>I've never actually done any bike maintenance myself

>>1055723
To make dealing with warranties and shit manageable, because online shops might not have everything in stock. So they'd need to deal with shimano anyway. By getting everything directly from them makes shit much easier in the long run.

And the online shops can get shit cheaply is because their volumes are orders of magnitudes higher than your normal LBS so they get discounts. Also because much higher volumes and lower overhead they don't have to mark up their prices as much to make a profit.

>>1055737
>replacing cables but not housings
For what purpose?
>>
>>1055537
You should've asked how much would cost in the first place, you cucked yourself stupid leftist.
>>
>>1055537
Shouldn't need new BB + headset bearings + rotors after 9000 km. You got cucked bud. Learn from your mistake and start doing your own service.
>>
>>1055737
>LBS's would get them cheaper as they buy them in bulk
But why does this matter? The LBS is selling you parts just like the guy on ebay. They're trying to turn a profit, not give you parts at cost.
>>
>>1055767
He rides in the rain.
>>
>>1055723
>>those time estimates
ok, being an actual LBS mechanic
*maybe* if I'm off the clock and working on my own shit after hours.
but fuck no way any mechanic is going to push for that kind of time for a job.
Double the time estimates for each of those tasks, throw a bathroom/smoke/lunch break inbetween each one
>>
>>1055745
>>cables not housings

frayed wires

crushed cable at derailer/brake pinch bolt

after replacing pads, cable now too short

full length housing, must remove cable to lube, frayed end won't reinsert so replace

etc

plenty of times when cable goes bad but housing is still fine
>>
>>1055956
>lube cable
please don't do this, just replace the housing
>frayed
by the time there's any visible fraying the cable is WAY overdue for replacement, you have a very permissive idea of "fine"
>>
>>1055725
>Why spend 50£ on a cassette for a shitty meme comuter ? On the other hand why not spend 50£ on a cassette for a bike you paid 1500£ and regulary use for real biking ?
I don't know what "shitty meme commuter" or "real biking" means, other than just arbitrary terms used on the internet to legitimize or delegitimize an interlocutor

I dunno what the britbong equivalent of QBP is or how they work that out, but as a retail consumer the price difference between an ultegra and a 105 BB usually comes down to which vendor has free shipping. the ultegra may end up cheaper in some cases. the cassette is a different story, but there's no evidence they put an ultegra cassette on there.
>>
>>1055562
This, the only thing I could see bringing in to get serviced is a bottom bracket or a wheel that's out of true.

Everything involving the brakes, cassettes, cranks, derailleurs, or shifters can easily be done with <30$ worth of tools. The only thing special you really need to buy is a chain whip, chain breaker if you don't have powerlinks, and a crank puller.
>>
>>1055723
>tfw my bike shop charges a flat rate per job regardless of the difficulty

feels pretty good to not get jewed
>>
>>1055973
what kind of fucked up BB do you have where replacing it is more complicated than servicing the bearings in your hubs?
>>
>>1055975
I dunno actually but it's a really old Trek from like the mid-90s and I have no idea what tool would be needed to get the thing off.

I was thinking of stuff you don't need really specialized tools to do. Bottom bracket tools are usually bike-specific depending on how old it is but a chain whip and a crank puller can be used on almost any bike.
>>
>>1055537

Why would someone photoshop the rear mech out?
>>
>>1055985
Reg number or something, i dunno.
>>
>>1055985
Maybe to see if it was a nice looking bike as a singlespeed because the chain has been remade with paint.
>>
>>1055562
Has anyone ever used one of those chain cleaners and not thought it was a total piece of shit?
>>
>>1056041
They're fun to use but a waste of money
>>
>>1056041
I have a cheap China one I got for under $5.

You use them if you don't want to keep a solvent tank around, and the chain is dirty enough that you would rather replace it than clean it out by hand because you didn't do post ride wipes.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.