[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would it be feasible to charter an E-unit & some coaches

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: iowa_pacific_515.jpg (129KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
iowa_pacific_515.jpg
129KB, 640x480px
Would it be feasible to charter an E-unit & some coaches to go full speed on an upgraded 100mph+ Amtrak route?
>>
>>1055014

you're better off charting your own amtrak train as they will cover the insurance cost

your picture is curious though since Iowa Pacific operates the Hooiser State for Amtrak
>>
>>1055014
The insurance is what's stupidly expensive about running your shit on Amtrak. I'm not sure that you can run an extra train with Amtrak, though. That comes down to agreements that they have with the owning railroad and you'd probably be better off negotiating that with them individually.

Now, if you own a passenger car you can tack it onto Amtrak for like $.60 a mile or something cheap like that. You can find the rate tucked away somewhere on the site. The problem is you need like a $1 million insurance policy and some place to store your car. The trick to cheap storage though is finding some small industry that you'd pay a small fee to store it on. Then you'd have to pay to get it spotted and pulled, which isn't all that cheap. Easily $1k each time.
>>
>>1055192
My bad, it's like $2.20 a mile which isn't cheap, but consider a 1k mile trip will only cost you $2k and that's actually pretty cheap.

But like I said, switching and storage is expensive.
>>
>>1055148
>>1055192
The whole idea is getting an E8 or E9 to run at max speed again. I'm pretty butthurt I'll never get to experience/see that, desu.
>>
>>1055457
You know the IC and KCS still own a few and will run them on their business and Christmas trains.
>>
>>1055464
Forgot the picture
>>
>>1055466
Illinois Central (& others) had them running at 100mph+ back in the good old days, though. I'd really like to see one hauling ass like they used to.
>>
File: iowa pacific.jpg (367KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
iowa pacific.jpg
367KB, 1024x681px
>>1055014

What about ordering a couple of new Siemens Charger with cosmetic modifications to look like an E/F-unit?

>inb4 le high cost

All Aboard Florida had all their Charger locomotives installed with fake noses to resemble European high speed rail, I see no reason why you couldn't request a bulldog nose cone.
>>
>>1055148
>your picture is curious though since Iowa Pacific operates the Hooiser State for Amtrak
Not anymore it doesn't
>On January 30, 2017, INDOT announced that Iowa Pacific was no longer able to fulfill the contract and had asked to be released from the contract early, prior to its original end date of June 30, 2017. As a result, the equipment and personnel provided by Iowa Pacific were withdrawn and replaced by Amtrak equipment and on-board services personnel in advance of March 1 run of the westbound train from Indianapolis.[18][19]
>>
>>1055467
Are there even stretches of track outside the NEC that allow more than 79 mph?
>>
>>1055609
There are 110mph portions on the Chicago-to-Detroit and Chicago-to-St. Louis routes.
>>
Would it be feasible to charter an G-unit & some bitches to go full ham on an iced out 100mph+ underground railroad?
>>
>>1055592

What a shame.
>>
>>1055592

What went wrong with Iowa Pacific?

From what I understand, revenues from the Hoosier State route actually actually went by over 30% when Iowa Pacific took over.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.