[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How exactly would you describe Sydney's rail network? When

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 2

File: network-map.jpg (306KB, 963x1200px) Image search: [Google]
network-map.jpg
306KB, 963x1200px
How exactly would you describe Sydney's rail network? When I look at the map I see a network designed to serve the inner-city but when I look at Sydney in google maps with the transit overlay it looks like it's meant to serve the suburbs instead. Would you compare it to a German s-bahn system? I hear locals on the internet always refer to it as "the subway" but judging from the videos and pictures I've seen of it, it clearly does not resemble any kind of heavy-rail inner city transit system in the world and the majority of it is clearly overground outside the CBD.
>>
Sydney's system is a mixed bag. The true city part is actually quite small (and correspondingly, the City Circle) compared to cities with proper subway systems

It is city centric, but much less so than Melbourne and Brisbane's systems. Sydney is a more bus-mixed system than the star topology seen in Melboune and Brisbane. The big trunk is the Main Suburban between Central and Parramatta. Nowadays, traffic is still slanted towards the city but much more is in the Parramatta direction due to growth

In essence, it points to the city as a feeder and it is quinessentially a suburban system. It extends 50-60 km in each direction from the city. What was chopped off when they broke up CityRail is also the Intercity network. It's a long distance commuter system people use just like the subruban, pointing towards the city
This is also where a lot of complaints come in about building a metro system to run the suburban distances. It's fucking stupid shit thought up by planners from desks who are foreign to the system and have never used it as suburban commuters

The best analogue to make would probably be a butchered Japanese city like Nagoya or Fukuoka. Just scale down the city, tear out the subway and drop in more comfortable trains (normalising Liner services)
>>
I see a network with many missed opportunities, and sometimes think about what it would've been like today if Bradfield's plan was actually completed.
>>
>>1050991
Yeah I'd say it's comparable to an S-Bahn. But it's larger and runs at a higher frequency than most German systems.
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.