[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the rail system look like in your city, /n/? This

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 53

File: AucklandRailMap.png (1B, 486x500px)
AucklandRailMap.png
1B, 486x500px
What's the rail system look like in your city, /n/?

This is the current map of Auckland, New Zealand's rail system, and luckily I live pretty damn close to the train station. The poor blokes up in the North Shore have to rely on buses though.
>>
After years of using second hand Australian DMUs, I imagine you'd probably be grateful to have electrification
>>
Not much. The regional rail routes have an extra stop in some suburbs but the tram was shut down 60 years ago.
There has been some progress to reactivate railway tracks and stations and one or two new stations might be build in the future.
>>
Melbournes commuter railways, to and through suburbia from a city centre terminal, there is a subway around the CBD

Melbourne has a lot but its just really badly managed
>>
>>1046209
Largest tram network in the world, 245 km of track
It is in the city centre, surrounding urban area, and the oldest inner most suburbs
there have been some light rail type of extensions in recent years but they suck
They also converted the St Kilda and South Melbourne railways to tram operation in the 1980s which had a kind of sense to it at the time as industry was moving out of the area removing demand for freight trains and the only people living there at the time were tenants of public housing blocks

But of course then it gentrified in the 90s, big surge in demand

And now a new phase is going to happen, that oval shaped lump to the left of the 109 route is currently big empty lots and old abandoned factories - all being rezoned and sold off for new housing
>>
File: vline map.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
vline map.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1046210
Vline regional rail and coach buses

Regional Fast Rail project introduced new fast DMU trains and modernised railways to the major regional centres, Geelong which has a population of 100,000, Bendigo and Ballarat which both have populations of 80,000, and Tarralgon which has a population of 30,000
The rail improvement works, track replacement, new direct routes, in cab signaling, automatic fault prevention equipment, etc combined with the fast trains mean trips to Geelong and Bendigo and Ballarat which are 100-200km from Melbourne now only take 1 hour which is a big improvement
They've had to order more DMU three times to meet demand, originally they were expecting carriage sets of 2-3 units but its become 5-7 carriages
>>
File: xfi.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
xfi.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Tram, Metro and commuter trains. The commuter lines that go outward are obv not to scale.

It's generally breddy gud. But though the system is dense it's still very crowded. Maybe because population density is very high. In any case I think it needs to be further expanded. As you can see the subway lines most form like a V pattern, so now a line is planned that will be semicircular to intersect the radial lines. It's even drawn in the map. But we ran out of money so who knows when it'll be finished.
I also think heavily travelled bus lines should be converted into into trams lines, on some lines there's articulated buses running every 4-5 minutes and they're all full to the brim.
>>
File: xrc.png (1B, 486x500px)
xrc.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1046416
Regional train map for all of Catalonia. There's also long distance and high speed trains which are not drawn in here. There's also this one line which runs from Lleida to La Pobla which is also not drawn in, this is a light-traffic line.

The one thick trunk line and the blue line to the north are the most heavily travelled lines and have mostly breddy gud service. Everything else goes from meh to crap. Some lines have literally three trains per day which is kinda sad.
Infrastructure is mostly ok, it's all electrified, trunk lines are double tracked. If this were run properly it could be a great regional network. Just needs a bit better frequencies, more express services and some slight improvements to stations and rolling stock (some have hard seats for 3+ hour journeys).
>>
File: 00001.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
00001.jpg
1B, 486x500px
Here's Los Angeles. Embarassing compared to cities 1/4 the size. I purposefully moved a couple blocks from a Gold Line station. I try to use it as much as I can, but it is limited. I'm thinking of getting a folding bicycle to expand my reach. Taking the buses here is a hit or miss.
>>
>>1046559
Hey, brother. I was just on the Gold yesterday. Unlucky for me I'm only closest to the Red Line in Hollywood. At least the trains are reliable and safe here, though.
>>
>>1046559
At least you have rail - I live in the valley and take the Orange Line daily.

It could have been built as rail, but fucking NIMBYs wouldn't have anything but a busway.

A-at least Measure M is going to pay for it to become light rail in 2050, right?
>>
Crashing this thread with Cologne, Germany.
Seeing this thread, makes me very grateful to live here. I do only rely on rail here.
>>
File: Köln_Bahn_2017.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
Köln_Bahn_2017.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1046696
At least post the current map, m8
Cologne has one of the best systems. It's fast, comfortable, reliable and not too confusing. I did take a train to the completely wrong direction at one point, but that was my first visit to the city. I had just stumbled out of a long-distance bus after getting 2 hours of sleep on there and took a train to Merheim instead of one to the central station.

What I don't like about the system is that it's very cold and soulless. Most stations look the same and they have that robotic voice that keeps mispronouncing /ʃ/ as [ʂ].
>>
>>1046181
Here's a geographic map of my city's light rail system. It's meter gauge, has 33.1 km of tracks, 64 stations and high-floor trams with mostly raised platforms. The blue tracks marked with "U" in the picture are underground, the rest is at-grade. The average speed is 22,6km/h.

There are also 11 stations for regional railways within the city limits. One of them, the central station, is also served by high-speed rail.
>>
>>1046696
>>1046704
I don't get Deutz. Do you really need an extra railway station just across the Rhine?
>>
>>1046708
I don't know either. Historically, Deutz was its own independent town and Köln was completely on the left side of the Rhine. So building a station on the other side of the river as the first stop of the Cöln-Minden railway made sense. Nowadays, I guess it's mostly to serve the fairgrounds and other big venues in the proximity of Deutz station, to ease changing trains and to take some pressure off the central station. It's really packed most of the time already.
>>
>>1046696
>>1046704
>>1046707
Stadtbahnfags leave REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
File: H_GVH_RS_Bahn.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
H_GVH_RS_Bahn.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1046726
Okay, what kind of rail systems should be discussed ITT and which should not? The LA Metro is a mixed system of light and heavy rail and buses, and not too different from a Stadtbahn. Some anon even posted a bus-only map.
Anyway, here's a map of the Hannover S-Bahn, also including regional trains. The two innermost circles (zones) are within the city limits. The next zone, umland, is still mostly urbanized. Everything past that is farily rural.
>>
>>1046726
>>1046738
Stadbahn, pre-metro, S-Bahn, rail-metro through service uber alles.
>>
File: 1-1 Route Map.png (1B, 486x500px)
1-1 Route Map.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1046181
The compact linear city at its best. Getting cucked by the PRC and CPC.
No real mainline rail good enough now though.
>>
>>1046672
How long does it take the orange line and red line to go to downtown?
>>
>>1046774
I love how the line interchanges are built in Hong Kong so you can basically just cross the platform and there's the other line.
>>
Bit outdated and also showing BTR and ferry lines.

Metrolinjat=Metro
Lähijunalinjat=Commuter Trains
Taajamajunalinjat=Regional Trains
Raitiolinjat=Trams
Runkobussilinjat=BTR
>>
>>1046793
When you have two lines joining in and only one will continue onto the city center, it's a necessity,
The corridors are linear so cross-platform interchange is an easy no-brainer. Cross-harbor tunnels are expensive and underground station box platform space is delicate.
>>
This is Brisbane's rail network

It covers a fair bit but still misses doesn't cover nearly enough IMO

The busway lines are currently roads that go between major bus stations (think of a rail station but with roads). They are meant to be converted to a rubber-wheeled rail system in the future but it seems that's a long way away
>>
File: MAP BNE RAIL.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
MAP BNE RAIL.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1046831
Here it is on am actual map so you can see the real scale of it
>>
>>1046801
VR actually has a proper graphical station diagram up.

HSL has a nice journey planner and extensive arrival / departure tables, but their maps suck.

VR has better maps, but ordering anything but a single trip ticket on the next train is clunky.
>>
>>1046210
>Largest tram network in the world, 245 km of track
How should one count it, tho, since my city claims to have 276 km of track (and it's not even the biggest in the country, apparently)?
>>
>>1046938
>It is the largest urban tramway network in the world,[3] ahead of the networks in St. Petersburg (205 km) and Upper Silesia (200 km), Berlin (190 km), Moscow (181 km) and Vienna (172 km).[4] Trams are the second most used form of public transport in overall boardings in Melbourne after the commuter railway network, with a total of 203.8 million passenger trips in 2015-16.[5]

Dunno man
>>
>>1046938
>>1046941
According to wikipedia,
>Saint Petersburg lost its record to Melbourne, Australia.[1] While it still had 285 kilometres (177 mi) of length in 2002, by early 2007 the tram network's had declined just over 220 kilometres (140 mi), and by the 2010s operated on just 205.5 kilometres (127.7 mi) of network.[2]
Maybe your info is outdated.
>>
File: perspective2.jpg (431KB, 1200x871px) Image search: [Google]
perspective2.jpg
431KB, 1200x871px
Novosibirsk.
(Dotted lines are planned.)
It's pathetically small.
There's also two separate street tram lines on separate banks.
Also commuter train that shares tracks with regular long-distance trains so interval is shit, from 30 minutes to 3 hours in daytime.
Also a project to build a high-speed tram which probably won't go anywhere becuase they still haven't got the money.
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (188KB, 1200x1203px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
188KB, 1200x1203px
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (757KB, 1100x1238px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
757KB, 1100x1238px
best network comin thru
>>
>>1046968
subtle swastika
>>
>>1046967
Life must be depressing in Siberia.
>>
>>1046973
Eh, it depends. Tomsk is nice but i've been here for a couple of days. Irkutsk has Baikal.
Omsk has a reputation of a hellhole. (pic related, map of Omsk subway)
Kuzbass is dirty but has some coal money.
Novosibirsk is a bit of everything.
Trains go on time from town to town, but not that often. And those are regular old trains, not fancy high speed ones.
You can get by train into China.
>>
>>1046738
chill m8 I was just 'avin a giggle bc
>le autistic hating on stadtbahn concept
>>
>>1046738
>Messe with light rail is zone 2
>Messe with S-Bahn is zone 3
Way to confusing exhibition visitors.
>>
>>1046969
What's the deal with line 24 and 25 being closed, what kind of city even closes tram lines in the current year?
>>
>>1047007
They manage to be working for a company that is represented on one of Hannover's fairs, or they are smart enough to be interested in the stuff that is exhibited there. Then they board a plane and fly to the correct airport. I'm sure they have enough brainpower to read instructions in one of five different languages on buying the right ticket.
The airport is in the third zone anyway, so you need to buy a three zone ticket to even get to the city center. And if you're coming by train, you are experienced enough with ticket fares that you'll be ok.
>>
Dublin finally got a half decent map of just the rail services together last summer. Coverage is pretty poor for the service relative to a lot of cities its size, particularly on the northside of the city and the southwest. The only line that has a half decent service is the DART on the coast which is the only electrified service on the island. Some commuter lines go to suburban towns, while some are in the city limits. The DART and commuter services all share the same track in the city centre, which causes frequent delays to all the services, particularly in the last few months with a tunnel reopened north of Heuston to extra commuter traffic on the south western commuter line to go onto the city centre line instead of Heuston. This line is also the only one with some extra tracks for intercity services.
There's also two tram lines which are disconnected, but the connection to join them and one commuter line is expected to finally open in December. This will probably be the only interchange on the network that isn't from the city centre line to another line or Connolly-Heuston on the Luas. The interchange with the commuter line will be pretty useless until they increase capacity on this line.
Most projects which were planned to replace buses in rail deficient areas and to increase capacity on the existing network were cancelled or put on hold long term.
>>
>>1046977
What does the picture say? Is that supposed to be the basement of a library or something?
>>1046978
sheeesh m8 you gotta remember: Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

Why does the Stadtbahn get so much hate though?
>>
>rail system thread
>fags posting LRT, streetcars and even busways
>>
>>1046967
Are those planned lines being built or are they just planned to be built, and is the high speed tram project planned to connect the two tram systems?
>>1046977
That Omsk metro must be the most pathetic metro project ever attempted, the wikipedia article on the metro might just be badly translated, but it seems that they've been constantly building it for 25 years, and the phase they're building is only 6 kilometres long with 4 stations, with the bridge over the river being the most complex part of the project which has been finished for 12 years.
>>1047061
I'm not sure what the picture says, it might be the one station they've finished after 25 years of construction.
>>
It says "station Pushkin Library".
It's the only station of Omsk metro. There are no actual tracks.
>>
>>1047060
Is it true that LUAS stands for Lick Up And Swallow?
>>1047062
>complains
>does not contribute
>>1047063
>the one station they've finished after 25 years of construction.
>>1047064
Whew. What happened there?
>>
>>1047065
>Is it true that LUAS stands for Lick Up And Swallow?
Nope, it's Irish for the word for speed, despite the tram being slow in the city centre. You have to be fast to not be stabbed or robbed on the red line.
>the one station they've finished after 25 years of construction.
I'm not sure, it's likely the project has been restarted a few times though rather than being constantly built. Still pathetic though.
>>
>>1047063
> Are those planned lines being built or are they just planned to be built,
Well, for the last 12 years they added a whole of two new stations, so there's some hope they'll finish a couple more by 2030, when the master plan becomes officially obsolete.
> and is the high speed tram project planned to connect the two tram systems?
Nope, it's 2 separate lines connecting spawling commieblock suburbs on each bank to existing lines, but not connected to each other.
It's planned to be 46 kilometers total for the cost of 1 billion dollars. Is it realistic?
They are in a stage of "attracting private investors".
> That Omsk metro must be the most pathetic metro project ever attempted
Yep. It's a bit of a meme.

>>1047065
> Whew. What happened there?
Mismanagement. They started building and then went out of money.
>>
File: Circumvesuviana railway network.png (258KB, 1024x932px) Image search: [Google]
Circumvesuviana railway network.png
258KB, 1024x932px
Living in countryside, the only railway station I have here is a Circumvesuviana one.

Circumvesuviana (literal translation: "around the Vesuvius [railway]") uses narrow gauge tracks (950mm) because of the variety of the terrain and small radius curves requirements.

96 stations in 144 total kilometers serve more than 2 million people (Naples alone is 1.2 millions). Morning trains start at 6:20am, latest trains depart at 9:30pm.

The longest run (Napoli-Sorrento, some 44 kilometers) requires 56 to 66 minutes.

Trains run on 1500 Vcc nominal (actually around 1800). Engines require up to 300 amps in full acceleration. More than half of the 87 trains currently in use have been built between 1976 and 1978, and since then only got light modifications (mostly safety standard updates). Their top speed is limited to 90 km/hr.
>>
File: bay area rail.gif (370KB, 2048x2458px) Image search: [Google]
bay area rail.gif
370KB, 2048x2458px
This is missing a couple of planned extensions but is otherwise a pretty solid map.
>>
>>1046696
Kind of makes me wish that American cities had been leveled during WWII. At least we would have had fresh start to build true infrastructure systems.
>>
>>1046967
>Hobosibirsk
K E K
>>
>>1047138
We don't even have that many hobos.
(They freeze to death.)
>>
>>1047148
Was making fun of your alphabet and not of the fact that you do or do not have lots of bums.
Cheers.
>>
>>1047071
Sounds very comfy, albeit in need of an update. Latest trains at 9:30 seems terrible.
>>1047114
Before WWII, cities in the US were decades ahead of European ones in terms of transport. Just look at the hundreds of miles of streetcars in LA or Chicago. Cars became cheap and universal in the decade after that, which in turn led to the suburban sprawl we know today.
>>
>>1047150
Fuck, Chicago didn't have an exceptionally large streetcar system back then. I got it mixed up somehow. Just pretend I named another city in that post.
>>
File: LIRR.gif (159KB, 1254x629px) Image search: [Google]
LIRR.gif
159KB, 1254x629px
>>1046181

The greatest commuter rail that burgerland has to offer!

>four routes with half-hour frequencies
>80 mph running on some lines
>overnight service
>ridiculous fares
>all platforms are door-level
>muh jamaica
>>
>>1046931
I fucking hate how the regional rail outside Helsinki is made. No travelcard-system and shit frequencies after Riihimäki.

I have always imagined regional railway network outside Helsinki, pic related.
>>
File: classic Circumvesuviana trains.jpg (47KB, 701x439px) Image search: [Google]
classic Circumvesuviana trains.jpg
47KB, 701x439px
>>1047150
>Sounds very comfy, albeit in need of an update.

Being in Southern Italy, you may laugh at those updates... Like a new line being partially disabled soon after its inauguration, because of the "cut costs" epidemy. Or the double track South of Pompei, it's been 20 years in the making and is not yet even 30% complete, because "cut costs, cut costs" and every time they work 3 months and then stop 3-4 years before getting other funds.

Stations are at least 125 meters long, because train wagons are 40 meters (thus 80 or 120 if two or three). The area is so densely populated that most stations are less than 1000-1200 meters apart.

>Latest trains at 9:30 seems terrible.

Totes.
Until a few years ago one latest train from Sorrento was at 11:15pm (and the first train to Naples was at 4:30am), and then the usual "cut costs, cut, cut, cut" happened, killing a non trivial percentage of the touristic usage.

The most funny episode was about the introduction of the "Etr-200" series, rated to 120 km/hr (the railway is designed for 90 km/h only), with better acceleration and "eyeballs lost in space" braking (better than the classic trains - pic related - whose emergency brake is rated 0.136g, aka 1.33 m/s2).

Well, the new trains while accelerating require so much current they damaged the catenary when joined in three. This is why they are rarely used (and alone or in two).

Train tickets are somewhat cheap - 2.80 euros (less than 3$) for an one-way 30 km trip.
>>
File: hvv_schnellbahnplan_usar_02.jpg (387KB, 1600x1125px) Image search: [Google]
hvv_schnellbahnplan_usar_02.jpg
387KB, 1600x1125px
Hamburg here, metro network is (in general) quite good.
In the central parts of the city you don't have to walk long distances until you'll reach the next station.

Longer distances for the suburbs but if no station is nearby you can take the bus. Obviously, the public transport system is unified and shares the tickets for train, bus and ferry.

The pricing however is the most complicated I've ever had compared to other cities. It's horrible! There are single fare zones, fare areas, rings, you name it... best bet is to take the "AB areas or 2 rings" ticket for like 3 euro and you're good to go.

How it is in other counties/cities? Same?
>>
>>1047159
Oldest railroad in the USA
Former president red hot anti-semite
Just had another work train derailment at Jamaica station shutting down branches to Penn and Atlantic terminal
Thanks LIRR
>>
>>1047252
I like the U- and S-Bahnen of Hamburg, but I feel they're lacking a light rail system or some serious extensions to the existing heavy rail. All those traffic is handled by 3 minute headway bus lines with dedicated lanes.
>>
>>1047262
if there's one thing the long island railroad does well, it's timed transfers

it amazes me that the railroad functions as well as it does with all those trains passing through jamaica
>>
File: train_map-900x278.jpg (132KB, 900x278px) Image search: [Google]
train_map-900x278.jpg
132KB, 900x278px
Honestly I think it's pretty good, and there's lots of expansion and electrification underway as well.
>>
File: download.png (28KB, 1026x789px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
28KB, 1026x789px
Chicago l track aint so bad desu
>>
>>1047297
Still fixing the two tracks at Jamaica after the derailment. Meanwhile as I'm typing a snowstorm is hitting the area with 8-12 inches expected.
>>
>>1047304
Why are the same names shared by two or three different stations?
>>
File: 8 chicago_grid_photo.jpg (65KB, 630x325px) Image search: [Google]
8 chicago_grid_photo.jpg
65KB, 630x325px
>>1047370
GRID
R
I
D

Because each station is associated with their own colored line it's not that confusing
>>
>>1047383
2 Blue Line stations both named Western is probably the only obviously bad part of it
>>
>>1046785
45-60min, depending on where you are.
>>
Only one of the commuter lines is electrified and offers an all day frequency of an hour.
>>
>>1047383
>>1047952
That would never happen in Europe. There is always a way to distinguish the stations. Sometimes one of them gets an adjunct like "center" or "north" or something to that effect. Sometimes they are all named after streets, squares, or points of interest in the vicinity.
>>
>>1048064
Much worse things are happening here though.
>>
>>1048080
Kek. Where is that?
>>
>>1048088
>westbahnhof
>s-lines
i guess it's vienna
>>
File: S9.png (302KB, 776x931px) Image search: [Google]
S9.png
302KB, 776x931px
>>1048088
Karlsruhe's S9 from Bretten to Mühlacker, Maulbronn being the West-Station.
>>
>>1048264
How does something like that even happen?
>>
>>1048344
>Karlsruher Verkehrsverbund
>>
File: KAI_Commuter_Jabodetabek_Map.jpg (833KB, 2068x2924px) Image search: [Google]
KAI_Commuter_Jabodetabek_Map.jpg
833KB, 2068x2924px
My City's commuter rail map
Rolling stock is mainly used japanese trains and the track is shared with a lot of intercity trains which could cause bottlenecks
>>
File: melb map new.jpg (421KB, 1280x880px) Image search: [Google]
melb map new.jpg
421KB, 1280x880px
>>1046181
>>1046209
here is melbourne's new train map, what do you think?
>>
>>1048373
I think the font and colours are cute but still very clear.
>>
>>1048373
breddy gud. what are train frequencies like?
>>
File: [email protected] (800KB, 2304x2840px) Image search: [Google]
Metro_map_RUS_official@2x.png
800KB, 2304x2840px
Russian people who think head not ass, name Moscow city - Default city xD
>>
>>1048389
Irregular.
>>
>>1048344
Most likely bugs in a new display software that first matures at the customer.

Over the last years most vehicles had their outside rollsigns replaced with LED displays.
While I personally prefer rollsigns for better readability, the LEDs allow greater flexibility, e.g. among other things to change the display along the line: Outside cities it displays the destination city in bold and the actual terminus in small font. When the it crosses the city limit, it changes to the terminus station name only, without the city.
Same for the interior displays, within cities there is no need to show the city name for each station.

I assume for that the station database contains [City/Town/Village name] and [station name] as seperate fields and with a software bug it was only displaying the station name, which in villages with just one station is "Bahnhof" each time.
>>
Raleigh, NC

>
>>
File: NYC.jpg (3MB, 1800x2210px) Image search: [Google]
NYC.jpg
3MB, 1800x2210px
The only true urban area in North America.
>>
File: Rostock_Straßenbahn_2016.png (207KB, 1815x711px) Image search: [Google]
Rostock_Straßenbahn_2016.png
207KB, 1815x711px
could be better tbqh
>>
>>1048788
You have two lines going to mensa

What more do you need?
>>
File: [1]mfsys.jpg (3MB, 3168x2448px) Image search: [Google]
[1]mfsys.jpg
3MB, 3168x2448px
Here's my cities bus system because fuck you, there's not enough traffic to have seperate threads
>>
File: se.png (304KB, 1088x898px) Image search: [Google]
se.png
304KB, 1088x898px
>>1048970
Florida State Univeristy busses going around campus and the surrounding neighborhoods. Is operated by the city bus service and is by far the most busy part of the system.
>>
File: metro-north-railroad-map.png (276KB, 2590x2299px) Image search: [Google]
metro-north-railroad-map.png
276KB, 2590x2299px
>>1047159
>>1048784
NYC Metro North commuter rail
>>
File: station_selector_2016.jpg (175KB, 809x1300px) Image search: [Google]
station_selector_2016.jpg
175KB, 809x1300px
>>1048973
New Jersey Transit commuter rail
>>
File: mbta-commuter-curve.png (287KB, 642x664px) Image search: [Google]
mbta-commuter-curve.png
287KB, 642x664px
Boston commuter rail
>>
File: MBTA_Boston_subway_map.png (1MB, 1920x1514px) Image search: [Google]
MBTA_Boston_subway_map.png
1MB, 1920x1514px
>>1048975
Boston subway/light rail
>>
>>1048971
What do these codes mean?
How much time does it take when a bus complies a full round?
>>
>>1048970
>>1048971
Whew lad
>>1048975
>>1048977
European tier
>>
File: sl.png (1MB, 3937x2755px) Image search: [Google]
sl.png
1MB, 3937x2755px
Stockholm.

Abstract map is abstract.

It'll undergo pretty big changes this year. Commuter trains being put into a tunnel with new stations and one light rail extended to another.
>>
File: map_tokyo-1.png (695KB, 2339x1654px) Image search: [Google]
map_tokyo-1.png
695KB, 2339x1654px
>>1046181
This is the rail network map of suburban railways in Tokyo of JR-East.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/map/pdf/map_tokyo.pdf
>>
File: click-map-1.png (455KB, 1700x2200px) Image search: [Google]
click-map-1.png
455KB, 1700x2200px
>>1048973
>>1048974
>only true urban area
>doesn't even have through-running commuter rail
>>
>>1049063
SEPTA more like septic tank amirite
>>
>>1049063
I have never seen an American transit map actually stating the city it depicts. Why is that?
>>
File: rer.png (3MB, 3942x2941px) Image search: [Google]
rer.png
3MB, 3942x2941px
I hope you do enjoy spaghettis.

Metro lenght should be doubled by 2030 with 4 new lines + extension of line 11 and 14. RER E is being extend all the way to Mantes through La Défense.
>>
>>1049293
It was meant to show the lines not so much the city or rivers and such.
>>
>>1049011
What's up with line 7? Are there any plans to connect it to the rest of the network?
>>1049307
Including regional trains, metro, trams and buses in one map is an impressive feat. I don't know how many people will actually use this map though, because it is so convoluted.
I'm used to different modes of transportation being named differently. The most commonly used scheme here in Germany is S# for commuter rail, U# for metro and plain numbers for trams and buses. Usually the trams have single or double digit numbers and buses have two to three digits. You can tell that you're far away from any metropolitan area if the buses start out at 1.
Notable exceptions are:
>Karsruhe: all tram-trains are named S#;
>Rhein-Ruhr area: Stadtbahn is U and two digits, trams are plain three digit numbers
>Berlin: trams get M#, M## or ##; Buses can get M##, ###, X#, X##. X stands for express and M for "metro", meaning main lines with a frequency of every 10 minutes or more often during the day, and also going at night.

>>1049310
Over here, the public transit system is often a way of identification for the city. Every city that has its own transit system is proud of it and will be sure to print its name on the map in bold letters. I guess in the US it's more about the transport agency than about the main city.
>>
File: RTD.jpg (126KB, 1300x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RTD.jpg
126KB, 1300x1000px
Denver definitely has the best system for a mid-sized US city but lately it's run into some issues with software. Two lines are current completed but not yet opened because of glitches with the crossing gates. Interestingly, Denver is the first system to start using Positive Train Control which should prevent accidents if the train driver falls asleep or becomes suicidal.
>>
File: sparvag_660.jpg (45KB, 660x396px) Image search: [Google]
sparvag_660.jpg
45KB, 660x396px
>>1049424
Inner city tram. Initially a museum line that got modernized and after much biching and digging, then extended by 400m, getting it closer to the subway.

Currently stalled by street renovation work that was meant to be done in the 1990s. The anti-tram lobby in the city hall played this card in a last bid to stop construction.

It will be extended another 400m but everything else is in limbo.

I reckon the abstract line map tries to depict the current situation where it has been shortened by 200m in preparation for the upcoming extension. The western terminus was a single-track contraption.
>>
>>1049486
>tram to värtahamnen
fuck stockholm don't do it

in helsinki we put our tram 9 to western harbor/västra hamnen and it's full of drunk finns with alcohol beer cars
>>
>>1048403
>outer ring has indication for what I guess are surface interchanges
>9 min
>10 min
>etc
there's literally "proper" subway interchanges here that take longer than that.
I wish that instead of burying gorillions in useless subways they would bother to make public transit actually practical.
>>
>>1047061
>Why does the Stadtbahn get so much hate though?
It's an objectively shit concept. You get tunnels that aren't being used to full capacity as they would with standard heavy-rail, and most systems retained the high floors (sometimes in expectation of building more tunnels which never happened), so that surface stops are less convenient. The stadtbahn concept was popularized in a time when people wanted to rid streets of trams as to make space for cars. Generally just forbidding cars to drive on tracks (ie drawing tram lanes) would achieve commercial speeds not much worse than tunnels, and it would also solve reliability issues caused by traffic.
Also many cities in Germany got federal subsidies to build the tunnels back in the day, but now struggle to keep up with maintenance costs, especially as they are aging. Instead of improving service and expanding lines, they have to spend loads of money on tunnel maintenance instead.

There's literally nothing positive about the Stadtbahn. Using regular trams and/or heavy rail is much more practical because trams are inexpensive, and heavy rail gets high capacity. The stadtbahn is the worst of both worlds: Expensive like subways, low capacity like trams.
>>
>>1049503
It's gonna be a while with the constant stalls.
>>
File: hl stuff.png (21KB, 505x261px) Image search: [Google]
hl stuff.png
21KB, 505x261px
like literally nothing NOTHING exept some shitty bus routes
>>
>>1046707
>Bielefeld

How do you deal with people denying your existence all the fucking time?
>>
>>1046696
>>1046704
Die Zeit of last week put Cologne on the same level as Duisburg as far as public transport is concerned.
>>
>>1049738
I just laugh at them ironically IRL and I say "nice meme" or something along those lines online.
>>
>>1048403
Dammit, Moscow has all the monies.
The outer ring is MCC, right?
>>
>>1049739
The criteria of that ranking are bullshit and not really a measurement of how good a city's public transportation is.

It doesn't care about punctuality, quality of the ride/vehicles, etc.
>>
>>1049739
Interesting. I don't think you can compare them well, since Duisburg isn't even half the size of Cologne. Can you post a link to the article?
>>
>>1049767
http://www.zeit.de/mobilitaet/2017-02/nahverkehr-vergleich-koeln-duisburg-studie-bus-bahn

Zeit Online has a fuckton of coverage on that topic.
The print edition (last week, not the current one) unfortunately only had a two page article. That felt a little weak.

>>1049762
The measurement they use is dubious, yeah, but it's nice to see anyone actually trying to rate the situation of public transport city by city.
It's ridiculous that there are people in this day and age that despite living in large cities still are dependant on a car in their daily life.
And it's certainly not their fault, but the fault of the municipalities they live in.
>>
>>1049762
>>1049785
Okay I just read some of their recent articles on the subject. They are completely full of shit. Why? Because they use two criteria and two criteria only. One of them is the price for a single ticket. That doesn't tell you how good the public transit system is, it tells you how expensive it is. Regular users of public transit don't use those tickets anyway, so this criterion is moot.
The other criterion is departures within the municipal limit per number of inhabitants. This isn't just stupid, it's pants-on-head retarded. By this criterion, you can just put down a dozen bus stops within disances of a few meters, put up no timetables or shelters and have a few buses run through once a minute with nobody using them and rate A+ on their chart.

They wank over Dresden's tram system being amazing, yet the average speed is 20.2 km/h, slower than the slowest line in Cologne (22.4km/h) and almost as bad as the slowest line of Hannover (19km/h). Both Cologne's and Hannover's Stadtbahn systems have lines with 30 to 35 km/h average speed. They rank worse because they have more centralized systems where multiple lines are bunched in a single tunnel, larger vehicles with more capacity and S-Bahn systems covering lots of the city and connecting to the surrounding urban area.

Their results are stupid. They rank Osnabrück, Wiesbaden and motherfucking MÜNSTER higher than Bielefeld or Hannover. I recommend the authors travel to those cities and see what it's like to get around a city of more than 300 000 people with nothing but BUSES themselves.
>>
>>1049798
>and see what it's like to get around a city of more than 300 000 people with nothing but BUSES themselves.
With a bike.
>>
>>1051152
Yes that is true but I am talking about public transit.
>>
>>1049307
>RER E is being extend all the way to Mantes through La Défense.
Double decks for RER B when? It's unrideable at rush hours around Châtelet.
Thread posts: 123
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.