[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ikea Bike master race reporting in https://www.theguardian

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: 1920.jpg (37KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
1920.jpg
37KB, 620x372px
Ikea Bike master race reporting in

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/oct/30/ikea-sladda-bike-review-flatpack-observer-martin-love
>>
>overpriced, overdesigned POS "bike" from (((IKEA)))
Yeah, no, fuck off.
>>
>>1043688
Pick it up from the wearhouse, frame is in a box on aisle 15 bin 3. Don't forget drivetrain in bin 6, wheels in bin 7, and everything in bin 22.
Take it home, assemble the wheels from the hubs up. Use my fregaaten pump on the tires.
Little tool box had a BB installation tool, headset cup press, cone and spoke wrenches.
Put headset in backwards, front wheel on the back and back to front, couldn't find the grip bag, wheels out of true because Ikea didn't include a truing stand.

Worth every penny
>>
WHAT THE FUCK, $1,084.99 ????

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7JX5EI/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=marketorder-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01N7JX5EI&linkId=ae1ab6797bbd0f6b58ef004397dfdc50
>>
>>1043688
I like the belt chain. aside from that, you could get a lot better bikes for 1000$.
>>
So it's basically the new Flying Pigeon? Useless, non-user-serviceable boat anchor for rich idiots who want to pay too much to cosplay as old-timey dutch cyclists?

Yeah, we've been through this. Those people threw out their novelty bike and got a Rivendell. Yes those are overpriced too but at least they work.
>>
>>1043726
Rivs are novelty bikes though.
>>
>>1043729
Novelty configurations, sure. Other than maybe an extraneous tube in the triangle somewhere, the parts are all pretty much standard normal bike parts, and you can actually, say, climb a hill on one.
>>
>>1043717
>you could get a lot better bikes for 1000$
Indeed you could, but this one is 450.
>>
>>1043726
>non-user-serviceable
What, exactly, is not user serviceable on that bike?
>>
>>1043744
Why don't you buy one and find out? The whole point of it is obviously that it's aimed at people who think putting air in your own tires is for freds and all maintenance should be left to the pros
>>
>>1043745
Oh, so you had no idea what you were talking about and was just trying to sound tough and knowledgable. Got it. There's nothing on that bike that isn't as serviceable as any other bike. It's a standard fucking bike, you autist.
>>
>>1043734
just sign up to their free family account, and get it for £350.
>>
>>1043709
>buying ikea stuff from amazon
try harder.
>>
>>1043750
It was an educated guess. Ten seconds of google showed me that the headset, bottom bracket, and rack mounts are all proprietary. Who the fuck knows what else they did to make it a "proper" non-functional city boat anchor best suited for locking at the side of a Dutch canal and abandoning it to the elements.
>>
>>1043754
it can't be all bad, if it's got a 25 year frame warranty, 10 year belt warranty

also, it has a concentric BB, which is preferred for a belt drive to help tension it, the headset looks like a standard IS41
the rack mount makes sense, as it's easier for the average person to install and it's not like the racks are expensive either.

for the price they could no way afford most of the components to be proprietary, as they cost a fuck ton to manufacture
>>
>>1043754
>It was an educated guess.
No, it was autistic drivel.
>headset
They all are. There are no single standard headset bearings you mong.
>bottom bracket
It's an EBB. Precisely the same type of solution as any other vertical dropout singlespeed/planet gear. Perfectly servicable.
>rack mounts
It's fucking screws. Use your own screws to mount your own rack, you autist.

And even if, and I say if, even if all this was some truly proprietary bullshit that you absolutely could not source replacement bearings for - that doesn't make it not user serviceable. It only means you have a single supplier of spare parts. You can service it yourself as much as you want.

>what the fuck else
More arrogant Asperger speculation. Go wank to your "user servicable" french gang cottered crank bottom bracket tenspeed and stop acting tough on the internet.
>>
File: ikea-bike-instructions.jpg (25KB, 460x448px) Image search: [Google]
ikea-bike-instructions.jpg
25KB, 460x448px
>>1043688
2/10 would not huck
>>
>>1043756
>t only means you have a single supplier of spare parts

Yeah, I just love spending 4 hours driving to Ikea and battling with the strollers just to buy a spare part that may or may not be in stock anymore
>>
File: grasped.jpg (2KB, 83x125px) Image search: [Google]
grasped.jpg
2KB, 83x125px
>>1043759
>this is what crippling autism looks like
>>
>>1043760
Oh, you live in Stockholm. No wonder you don't mind "cycling" on boat anchors.
>>
>>1043754
It's a standard square taper bottom bracket in an eccentric shell you retard.
>>
>>1043709
10/10
>>
would be very interested in some real experiences with it. especially long term city use.
>>
>>1043808

The frame-mounted front rack is great.

I'm going to assume almost everything else about the bike is pure shit
>>
>>1043734
from Amazon it's $1000US
from Ikea it's not $450US, its 450 Pounds British Sterling--that's like $600 or $650US.
>>
>>1043860
The £ IKEA price includes a 25%-ish VAT. Deduct.
>>
>>1043688
I love when my bike is assembled with and consisting of strictly IKEA's spare hex wrenches
>>
>>1043869
This. I don't like having well-torqued components, even though my lbs does assembly for them I ask them to keep everything nice and loose so I can have that authentic 90's Walmart bike experience with my $800USD.
>>
>>1043880
it's $500 US, or $400 for family members, whatever that means.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30326728/
>>
>>1043880
An important part of the Practical® Transportation® Not For Sports® I Just Want To Get From Point A to Point B® experience, besides getting violently angry at the thought of some nanny-statist that wants you to wear a helmet, is ensuring that your 48 pound death trap is as poorly adjusted and rattly as possible

I hear they're even selling them with a tire pressure gauge to ensure that the PSI never goes above 20
>>
>>1043883
I bought a Cannondale CAAD 2016 bike for $600 brand new, assembled and fitted. No special deal, that was just the price the lbs gave me. Maybe for being a regular, but I think a new face would get roughly the same price. There's a place for cheap commuters, but this costs almost as much as a /real/ road bike.
I am admiring that sexy belt drive, though. I have a fetish for this.

>>1043891
I had a good chuckle, thanks for this quality content.
>>
>>1043883
why is it double so expensive on amazon?
see >>1043709
>>
>>1043883
It's just their free membership club, like at the grocery store. They use it to track your purchases to analyze customer trends. You get discounts.

And you know what, $400 really isn't that bad for the features you get. It's not great either. But a belt drive really is good for a commuter you leave outside. So is a heavy duty aluminum frame. The fatigue problem only comes into play when aluminum flexes. A stiff aluminum frame will have a long fatigue life. It even comes with racks and fenders and stuff. I wouldn't buy it because I don't need automatic shifting and hate coaster brakes, but it does provide more reasonable gearing than a single speed without a shifter for people who can't manage adjustment or cables. I do see where they were going with it.

It really is a smart bike in terms of trying to deliver function and utility with the absolute minimum maintenance. It does sacrifice some utility for minimum maintenance though.
>>
>>1043919
Because it's being sold by some guy that will go buy it from IKEA and ship it to you.
>>
>>1043697
>"bike"

how is it not a bike?
>>
>>1044041
more of a BSO really
>>
>>1044072
And you're basing that on...?
>>
>>1044292
he's just mad because it's coming from a different type of company and he doesn't like new things.

The bike is probably pretty nice for commuting and going around town.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.