[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting a rack instead of a basket for my bike.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: lad.jpg (258KB, 855x566px) Image search: [Google]
lad.jpg
258KB, 855x566px
Thinking about getting a rack instead of a basket for my bike.

How easy/difficult is it to mount, say, a milk crate?

I want to be able to (somewhat) easily remove the crate in case I need to transport some big or heavy.

I was thinking about using some elastic bike straps: one going from front to back and another from side to side. Bad idea?
>>
File: DSC03575 (Custom).jpg (3MB, 4000x2667px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03575 (Custom).jpg
3MB, 4000x2667px
heavy duty zip ties are the best option imo

This front nitto rack broke a weld before the zip ties holding the basket broke
>>
File: IMG_20170108_111018_001.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170108_111018_001.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
>>1039604
Like the left one in this picture?

I'm guessing the one on the right might be too weak?
>>
>>1039608
>>1039604
Oops, I misread.

You suggested zipties, not straps. Sorry.

Problem with the zipties is that they're semi-permanent. Will have to remove/reapply them every time I have to remove the crate.
>>
>>1039609
It's actually quicker than removing straps if you have a cable cutter or some wire cutters. You can get a lot of strong zipties for a few bucks. All different sizes. Bit of waste created but you're hauling shit on a bicycle so you get a pass.
>>
>>1039604
Seconding zipties. Never failed when I had a load in the basket. Bonus: when I wrecked, the zipties broke, which saved the basket from being mangled.

>>1039599
>>1039609
Elastic straps *could* work; I've done it before. The lack of any good mount points below the rack (pannier bars, etc) will make it more difficult, especially lateral restraints.

I'd still suggest zipties. Yeah, you'll have to chop them any time you want to take the milk crate off and put new ones on when you put the crate back on. Who care, zipties are cheap as shit. Buy 'em in bulk: https://www.uline.com/BL_3209/Black-UV-Cable-Ties

There are also bigass re-usable ones: https://www.uline.com/BL_3204/Releasable-Cable-Ties
>>
>>1039610
Might be onto something there. I already have the straps (from earlier work) but I'll get the zip ties too and see what'll work out.
>>
>>1039612
Thanks, bro. Now I'm 100% sure :)

I can still use the straps for lugging stuff without the crate, I suppose!
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.