[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello /n/, I did a 1x10 conversion on my Giant stance 2 and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: FB_IMG_1480976928763.jpg (8KB, 250x201px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1480976928763.jpg
8KB, 250x201px
Hello /n/,

I did a 1x10 conversion on my Giant stance 2 and ive run into a bit of an issue.

When you pedal backwards the chain slips down several cogs. Some people have told me this is normal but id prefer it not to. The chain is really tight, like no slack at all tight. Will loosening i.e adding more chain, fix this? My RD is at a constant tension due to the chain. If this wont work will I have to shell out for the XT crankset to fix? I used the OG alivio which is spaced slightly off.
>>
This is a common issue for 1x although it's more of a thing for 1x11 rather than 1x10. There is no real solution AFAIK.
>>
Are your gears set up and indexed properly and is your rear derailleur not bent?
Check those things and maybe chain length or b tension could be issues too.
If it's none of those things, I'm stumped champ.
Best of luck anon.
>>
Check your chainline!
your single chainring should be inline with the center of your cassette

If it's sitting outboard of that centerline, sure, the chain will want to fall outwards to the smaller cogs.
>>
>falling for the 1xmeme
>>
>>1037855

>Backpedalling in small gears

Seriously, who in the hell does this? Also fix your chainline if it's that much of a problem.
>>
>>1037875
Why carry dead weight in the form of derailleur, gear, and cabeling, if I don't even use but one ring?
>>
>>1037855
Are you sure your chainring, cassette, and chain aren't worn? These things are more likely to happen if they're worn. Also as others have said, derailleur/derailleur hanger bent, bad chain-line, etc. You have to expect problems if you're going to hack things into something it wasn't really designed for in the first place.
>>
>>1037855

Did you go from a 36t in the rear to a 42t without making the chain longer? If so that's why you're chain is too tight and possibly dropping in the backpedal. The actual chain can make a difference too, some like to drop when you backpedal more. Sometimes an 11spd chain works better than a 10spd. Try running a 64bcd offset chainring to fix the chainline.
>>
Without even seeing the bike, my suggestion: put the bike into the gear that is the "neutral" position, i.e. where the chain lands properly without any shifting needed. Make sure that position has a straight chainline from front to rear cog. Adjust the rear derailleur accordingly to achieve such. the other gears should line up much better once this one is in line.
>>
>>1037855
did you do a poor mans conversion where you just remove a couple of chainrings up front or did you splurge and get an actual 1x drivetrain and everything?

If you did a poor man's, i guarantee your chainline is just messed up, i did the same thing to a Giant that i own and i had to mess around with the alignment and everything to get it just right

post a pic
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.