[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: We discuss which is the best tram/streetcar/LRT system.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 10

ITT: We discuss which is the best tram/streetcar/LRT system.

Can be 1st gen or 2nd gen, but it has to be at-grade if it has full ROW (as in no system that complete grade separation or absolute priority at crossings like it's a train).

Can be small systems or large system, as long as they fulfill their purpose in the best possible way. Explain why you think it's THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST THE BEST

I'll cast my vote for Zurich. Zurich's trams are pure win.

>street-running 1st gen
>tracks are marked as exclusive tram(/bus)-lanes except a few short sections on smaller streets, so they don't ever get stuck in traffic
>priority at traffic lights, almost never stops for red lights except at busy tram intersections
>covers all the main lines, supplemented by bus and trolleybus for secondary lines
>very frequent, extremely punctual
>has recently been extended far into the burbs for new urbanization with full ROW in that part
>said extension includes a line that reaches the airport
>there's an interurban line which runs on streetcar trackage within the city and then runs on grade-separated ROW, it's numbered as an S-Bahn (suburban train) even though it runs on street tracks
>keeps historic trams that can operate on the network, sometimes they run them in a circular line around the center at christmas time just for shits and giggles and free of charge
>literally the most awesome tram system ever

beat that fgts
>>
>>1032998
What's 1st/2nd gen?
>>
The one in New Orleans because it's the oldest street railway in the world that's still operating (first line built 1835).
>>
>>1032999
Basically 19th century/21st century

>>1032998
Wow, good thread, really makes me think. I'd also include one important factor and that's the price of the ride. Swiss systems are great indeed but you make you pay a lot.
For me it might be Dresden, they got really dense and fast tram system serving the whole city. But I have to say I'd like to see more separated tracks in there and some connectivity to rail network. Stuttgart has also pretty impressive light rail system. Oh and Brussels premetro is pretty unique but i never been there so i can't say.
This is hard question, really. But I think that we already know at least the region where to look at aka Germany and surrounding countries
>>
Ghent has a neat compact system, but some lines have been closed and plans to re-open/re-build them don't seem to have progressed much. Great low-floor articulated trams, though.

Amsterdam probably gets my vote; great coverage and an excellent example of how to build an integrated transport system.
>>
>>1033019
USA need no apply. Your systems are literally memes, even the most dense ones are nowhere as functional as in Europe or Asia.
>>
>>1033119
philadelphia's is pretty good

>while smaller than it was originally, all streetcar lines are original
>one line uses rebuilt pcc cars
>despite being predominately street-running, the line tunnels through center city, making it faster than a bus
>the tram tunnel downtown can handle 70 tph
>>
File: ur_a_witty_lil_cunt.png (30KB, 165x199px) Image search: [Google]
ur_a_witty_lil_cunt.png
30KB, 165x199px
>>1033079
>really makes me think
>>
File: septa_15.jpg (150KB, 500x290px) Image search: [Google]
septa_15.jpg
150KB, 500x290px
>>1033129
If Philly could get the 23 up and running again like they did with the 15 it would truly be a sight to see.

I went to see line 15 and those PCCs work 10/10. They're fast, great acceleration, roomy inside, carry a shitload of people, and they look damn fine. The added a/c is the fucking cherry on top. Amazing how rebuilt 70 year old streetcars can still cut the mustard in the current year.
It's also amazing that the whole rebuild of line 15 cost peanuts to what an actual modern streetcar would have cost. If SEPTA weren't so pathetically underfunded they could have both the 23 and the 56 working again, at least if they still have enough PCCs in storage.
>>
>>1033019
I usually find imitations of historic streetcars to be really tacky, but I have to give New Orleans a pass because they actually did run their cars from the 20's practically continuously and never ran more modern cars. So it's a nice touch that they expanded the system with cars of the same style. I hear they get a lot of use from locals, not just tourists, is this true? Seems like a decent system within its limitations.
>>
I have to say Norrköping, Sweden.

A small 1st generation system in a town of 80k people, quitly stayed open with rolling stock bought second hand from Germany when most other closed. It even survided "dagen H", when Sweden turned to right hand traffic, which effectively killed Malmö's, Helsingborg's and Tockholms trams (even if one line in Malmö stayed open till 73).

Instead it was expanded cautiously with mostly dedicated lanes, of course. Today it forms the back bone of Norrköping's small transportation system.
>>
Map.
>>
>>1033372
Too old rolling stock for my taste. Single fare ticket for 2 Euro (!!) Line frequency 10 minutes.
Not bad, but definitely not the best. Again, there are smaller towns with systems with more lines and more frequent in Germany.
>>
>>1033339

Unlikely, I fear. Wouldn't that (along with route 56) require also opening the mothballed Luzerne carbarn?
>>
>>1033377
You get a 75 minute pass on the "single fare" ticket.

If the time runs out while you're riding, you may continue to your destination.
>>
>>1033382
I can take a 60 minute tram ride for 0.5 Euro in my city. I can't be objective about prices I guess.
Btw, it's a 100k city and the tram comes every 4 minutes to my stop.
>>
>>1033385
which city?
>>
>>1033413
this one

>>1026695
>>1026700
>>1026701
>>1026708
>>
best system in north america but that doesnt mean much

1st generation system that has been greatly scaled down but provides the backbone of surface transport in the downtown core
>>
File: TTC streetcar.gif (56KB, 1062x723px) Image search: [Google]
TTC streetcar.gif
56KB, 1062x723px
>>1033448
forgot pic
>>
>>1033449
bruh when you guys gonna finally build that relief line
>>
>>1033378
Luzerne depot is completely gone man, sold to a box company. SEPTA would have to expand Midvale Depot to accommodate streetcars. SEPTA also divested of the electric substations and permitted the city to rip up and pave the tracks in South Philly. PECO is still obligated to maintain the Germantown segment for some reason, but as long as the 23 has to run all the way to Market it's not coming back. The route 23/45 split should have happened at Erie instead of Center City.
The 15 also has worse on-time performance than the bus it's supplemented with because our retarded City Council opposed signal transit priority and lane segregation. Philadelphia's surface trolley operations are shit, but prospective plans with the new trolley replacements include 2-block stop spacing and curb bumpouts for the West Philadelphia lines
>>
>>1033385
Why can't it be like that everywhere ;_;
>>
>>1033079
>I'd also include one important factor and that's the price of the ride. Swiss systems are great indeed but you make you pay a lot.
That's really relative. You can't just look at what a single trip costs and compare from that. A good pricing system will always have expensive single tickets, so as to make tourists and occasional users pay more, while monthly or yearly passes are much less expensive.

In the case of Zurich, a yearly pass for the whole tram network costs 460 swiss francs, that's about the same amount in usd, comes out to less than 40 bucks a month. If you were to ride the tram just twice each working day, so that's about 50 trips per month, that would still come out to under 1 usd per trip. And the more you use it, the less you'd be paying for each trip.

The pricing system in Zurich is 10/10 as well for this very reason. Regular users get cheap passes, and only the occasional users pay expensive fares.
>>
Are we unironically comparing Czech and Swiss price levels in this ITT?
>>
>>1032998
I moved to Zurich recently and I'm obsessed with the tram and train system, take it at least twice every day
>>
>>1033813
Nobody is comparing. Just saying that tickets in some systems are overpriced and not affordable, that's all.
>>
File: apero_tram.jpg (90KB, 797x417px) Image search: [Google]
apero_tram.jpg
90KB, 797x417px
>>1033820
lucky you. see if you can spot the apero-tram, which uses 1930 rolling stock, pic related. Also get your fill of riding the Tram 2000 (the older models), they'll be the last high-floor units to run and will be phased out in a few years.

>>1033813
No, my only point was precisely the opposit, that one can't just say that a transit system is expensive based on the single fare, or even without taking into account purchasing power. lrn2read, dumbass.
>>
>>1033820
>take it at least twice every day
That's not really obsessive, but rather a normal commuting pattern.
>>
File: vbz-1208brhwp.jpg (428KB, 1024x699px) Image search: [Google]
vbz-1208brhwp.jpg
428KB, 1024x699px
>>1033820
>>1033823
also keep a look out for the ''Märlitram'' (fairytale-tram). Drives kids around town in the evenings with an angel and santa at the helm.
>>
>>1033915
aw yiss, I always see this one whenever I've been to zurich in christmas season, it's a cute, A CUTE.

Also it uses converted 1913 rolling stock.

>tfw grew up in a city without trams
>tfw didn't get to ride the Märlitram as a wee lad
why live
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.