[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just got hired to work at a local bike repair and sale shop.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

I just got hired to work at a local bike repair and sale shop. I like working with tools but I'm not a turbo-nerd about bikes. What should I learn immediately?
>>
>>1031610
Changing flats without pinching the innertube
Adjusting brakes and tuning dereailers
Replacing chains and using quick links
REcabeling bikes

In that order, and that should take care of a majority of the issues you'll have to deal with.
>>
>>1031610
Prey tell, how did you get a job in a field you know nothing about?

In this economy?

You're either a pretty girl with big tits (fat chance on 4chan) or a spoiled little shit who got the job handed to you.

Either way, fuck off.
>>
File: jewgrease.jpg (78KB, 492x438px) Image search: [Google]
jewgrease.jpg
78KB, 492x438px
ripping people off
>>
>>1031613
>In this economy?
Not OP and I don't know where you live but in my area many businesses are struggling hardcore to find employees. Most shops I visit have Help Wanted signs out.
>>
>>1031610
>What should I learn immediately?
This would be a great question to ask your coworkers and/or service manager as it will show them you're enthusiastic about learning as well as giving you a better idea of what the most common repairs are at your specific shop. But in anycase, here's my advice from my own 3-ish years of being a wrench at an LBS:

Get good at fixing flats quickly and efficiently as the vast majority of walk-ins will most likely be flat tires. Learn to check tires for damage while you're doing this so you don't hand a bike back to the customer with whatever caused the flat still stuck in the tread.

After that, I'd get familiar with adjusting brakes and replacing pads (oh boy, wait until you get your first set of older Cantis!)

Adjusting shifting requires the most skill of the three, and that will come with time and practice, but the more you can learn about the basic concepts early on, the better.

Good luck, OP. Also I can't stress enough that it's never a bad idea to ask for insight or help from your more experience coworkers. If you're unsure about something, don't wing it!
>>
>>1031642
where do you live? I want to move there, I have a college degree and 10+ years of work experience and I can't find any jobs that aren't low-skill and entry level.
>>
>>1031613
>In this economy?

>implying the unemployment rate isnt at its lowest point in over a decade

its practically a retail job. any autismo can do it. just like any autismo and learn to change a flat. you act like cycling is this absurd, difficult, unheard of hobby.

sounds more like you just suck at getting jobs. maybe get a haircut? lose some weight? and wear something that isn't a Lucky Star teeshirt at your next interview?
>>
>changing grips with an air compressor
>not letting the tube slip out and explode a meter from a 4 year olds face while filling up a tire with an air compressor
>explaining to poor/homeless that you can't work their bike for free
>explaining to poor/homeless that you don't have any "junk" they can have
>truing wheels that haven't been touched in 25 years
>getting 25 year old grease all over everything
>working on bikes that have been sitting outside for a decade
>selling locks
>selling tubes
>installing front baskets
>fixing flats
>adjusting derailleurs
>building up new boxed bicycles efficiently
>not wasting cables/tubes/etc with mistakes
>getting sick discounts on bicycle shit
>bullshitting with distributor reps
>>
>>1031702

You will have some good times though. Funniest moment for me

>guy rides to the shop and is wanting to upgrade bikes
>he's on some steel road bike from the 80s that looks barely ridden
>set him up to take out a new road bike for short test ride
>he has some ancient clipless shoe/pedal set up
>his pedals are seized in his cranks, so he has to use plastic flat pedals on the new bike
>instead of riding shoeless he just wears his clipless shoes
>he doesn't have a photo ID to give us as collateral
>boss tells me "anon go get your bike and ride behind him"
>whispers to me "don't let him get away lol"
>worry.jpg
>only have my bmx bike, will not be able to keep up
>we cruise along chatting about the bike
>telling him the features and pointing out carbon fork etc
>says "I'M GOING FOR A SPRINT"
>shifts down and takes off, cranking hard throwing bike side to side
>is about a block away from me at this point
>oh shit is he making a run for it?
>when he gets to about 20 mph his foot slips off the flat pedal
>tries hanging on but goes down slow-mo style
>bike has scratches all over, bar tape and saddle ripped
>he's bleeding and super embarrassed
>slowly cruise back to the shop in silence
>boss is speechless
>guy doesn't buy a bike
>boss has me replace the bar tape and put it back on the rack at a discount

I couldn't stop laughing when he left. I still don't know if he was genuinely trying to steal the bike and fucked up. We sold the bike a month later.
>>
>>1031702
This legit sounds fun as fuck to me. I want this job
>>
I've been working at my LBS for 5 years now and running it since last year,

>>1031611
>>1031644
>>1031702

just echoing these, particularly the part about asking the manager what they tend to deal with the most. work on building a sales pitch too, if you're going to be dealing with customers at all. it doesn't have to be super slick right away, but at least familiarize yourself with the products in stock and get an idea of the pros and cons.
if you don't know something, don't be afraid to ask someone else that works there that does. better to get the customer what they need than try to bullshit your way through it and get made fun of by your coworkers

you did good getting the job in what I'm assuming is the off season. that ought to make it easier to learn stuff before it gets real busy in the summer
>>
>>1031714
not him but I love my job. I only get $9/hr to run the business and fix the bikes but it's worth it. I've made lifelong friends working there

>also tfw you go on a bike date with the qt3.14 you met in the shop when you fixed her bike
>>
>>1031613
OP here, I'm polite, friendly, experienced with customer service and handy with tools. I've worked on cars, motorcycles but not bikes. I just like having an idea of what to expect. No need for such salt.

Thanks for the tips from everyone else, I'm really looking forward to it. Surprisingly the owner said they've been staying busy. He pretty much hired me on the spot.
>>
>>1031610
MOST IMPORTANT THING is standard tuneups. its what the vast majority of bikes rolling in come in for

Adjusting brakes and derailleurs mainly
reinstalling cables, just learn how to take things off the bike and put them back on, like the cassette

if your shop sells shimano you'll be able to take the s-tec lessons. basically its online lessons, you take a quiz on it, you get points. helpful for learning plus you get discounts on shimano's shit. Trek, cannondale, giant, felt, specialized, and others, all have similar things
>>
>>1031610
How to ride a bike.
>>
>>1031613
>in this economy

Truly, one of the ugliest americanisms.
>>
File: 1441224104813.jpg (260KB, 900x948px) Image search: [Google]
1441224104813.jpg
260KB, 900x948px
>>1031613
>>
>>
>>
>>1031610
>What should I learn immediately?

How to finish 80% lowers.
>>
>>1038249
fucking /k/ thinking they are funny and loved whatever board they visit
>>
Is it fun working at a bike shop? I'm looking to change my profession because I dislike my current job. I like riding bikes, I ride everywhere and for fun plus I enjoy building bikes for myself.

Would a job in a bike shop be fun or would fixing crappy bikes make me hate the sport?
>>
>>1038390
I assume it is the same for the US so I give you my German view:
Average bike shop:
- You will spend lots of time fixing crappy and badly maintained bikes. You will fix the same things over and over again.
- You will always have to tell people why fixing a cheap bike doesn't come cheap.
- You won't earn much money.

I considered it and I don't want it.

Bike shop for well-off customers
- You will have to deal with rich smartasses.
- You will get your hands on some nice gear.
- Maybe better pay
- Definitely more interesting.
>>
>>1038390

It's a retail job. You're going to deal with idiots all the time.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.