[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to everest a local hill with a really cheap setup just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: aaaaaa (1).jpg (58KB, 404x792px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaa (1).jpg
58KB, 404x792px
I want to everest a local hill with a really cheap setup just for laughs.

I was thinking I should get:

-small MTB alu frame
-steel fork
-700c alu wheels
-1x crankset
-single speed because the gradient on the hill is constant
-drop bars
-front brake

I'm trying to go as light as possible with the tightest budget, any recs?
>>
File: Everest.png (77KB, 995x510px) Image search: [Google]
Everest.png
77KB, 995x510px
>>1031008
I recommend don't custom build a bike with only one ride in mind. On a bike dedicated to climbing on the road, why would you only have one speed and no rear brake? Why a mountain bike frame?

Any road bike will do. Saving 3lbs. of shifters and cables by building what you described does not make much sense to me.

What is the elevation and grade of the hill you have in mind? Do you have friends/family to support you?
>>
>>1031015
I'd have to go 55 times up a 1/10 mile high road which is 2 miles long, that's a rough estimate for now.

I really want to build a bike for this like I said before because it will be cheaper, more challenging and more fun than just buying a road bike.
>>
>>1031024
>I really want to build a bike for this like I said before because it will be cheaper, more challenging and more fun than just buying a road bike.
Do you not already own a bike?

220 miles, half of it on a 5% grade, and >29,000ft of climbing isn't something you just go out and do for shiggles unless you're hella fit.

A friend of mine recently everested a 4.2 mile, 1,600ft climb (~7.2% grade) and he spent ~21 hours doing it.

Shaving grams off your bike isn't going to help you Everest a hill; it's pretty far down on the list of things you should be thinking about unless you're trying to break a speed record. Successful Everesting is about planning, nutrition, endurance, fitness, and mental fortitude above all.
>>
File: wew.jpg (19KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
wew.jpg
19KB, 337x450px
>>1031008
clowm bike or no balls
>>
>>1031038
I just came back from a long trip and I know I'm able to go 60 miles a day for 15 days in a row, breaking 100 miles from time to time with a fully loaded touring bike, I'm not sure if that's enough but I'm sure I want to try this, I know I'll never be as fit as I am right now.

I'm sure I won't be attempting this on my touring bike, and I'm pretty broke after the trip, so that's one of the main reasons for this build.
>>
As this is a dedicated hill climbing bike how about going with a smaller wheel on the front and flipping the seat post and slamming the seat forward? That way it will feel more like riding on level ground just with more resistance, I'm pretty sure I've seen hill climb bikes setup like this before.
>>
>>1031111
Neat advice.
>>
File: hillzzzzz.png (3MB, 1582x1186px) Image search: [Google]
hillzzzzz.png
3MB, 1582x1186px
>>1031111
>>1031125
Dumb idea. A 5% grade (2.86 degrees) isn't really large enough to bother building specific geometry for. Also half of the distance of an Everesting attempt is downhill... Making the climb marginally more comfortable uphill at the cost of making the descents more uncomfortable and sketchier (when they should be an easy recovery time) sounds like a poor tradeoff.

Pictured: an oldschool hillclimb trials bike.
>>
>>1031309
My mistake, I assumed the term implied a steep climb but reading >>1031038 I see that's not the case and it only determines the total elevation change.

In that case I have to wonder what the point even is, it's a completely meaningless idea when you could do 220 miles at 5% or 55 at 20%. Shit, as it only counts positive elevation changes I'm sure most of us have already Everested once or more in our lives without even realising it.

OP, stop being a pussy and do some real climbing. If you're not man enough for that and are only in it for the endurance then why not try actually going somewhere instead of riding up and down the same "hill" 55 times.
>>
>>1031311
>Shit, as it only counts positive elevation changes I'm sure most of us have already Everested once or more in our lives without even realising it.
not even close fred
everest is over 8.8km
you really think you've ever done even half that in a day?
>>
>>1031453
No one said anything about a time limit.
>>
>>1031311
>I'm sure most of us have already Everested once or more in our lives without even realising it.
If you mean "have climbed 29k ft in our lives", I've done >180k ft this year alone

But the rules for "Everesting" is to do it on a single hill in one contiguous activity, and trust me, you're not going to do 29k ft in one sitting just by accident.
>>
>>1031008
Just buy a road bike, man.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.