[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How /n/ are electric bikes? Just ordered my first one today.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 17

How /n/ are electric bikes?

Just ordered my first one today.

>inb4 "just get a car", "it defeats the purpose of getting a bike"

I don't have a license and I live in a very bike-friendly town and regularly have to bike 30-40 km a day and still have energy to do hard physical labour for 8-10 hours.
>>
They're overpriced and underperforming. You should have gotten a gas scooter, unless the Man fucks over the fees and licencing for that where you live.
>>
>>1028761
What bike did you order?
>>
what kind of labour are we talking

also just get your license and a car
>>
>>1028761
>How /n/ are electric bikes?
They're absolutely not. They're cancerous.
They cost way too much for what you get. For that price you may as well stop pretending you're 'riding a bike' and just get a small motorcycle or a scooter and forget about it.
>complains about a whole 25 miles a day
For most of us 25 miles is called 'getting warmed up', and you're not even riding that all at once. Stop being weak (and maybe so fat) and just pedal a bike, it's good for you.
>>
File: 1230838107377.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1230838107377.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1028812
>They cost way too much for what you get. For that price

>mfw no one in the thread has posted any price whatsoever.

>just get a small motorcycle or a scooter
It's cute how you think a small motorcycle costs the same as an e-bike.

>For most of us 25 miles is called 'getting warmed up',
Uhoh, we got ourselves a badass over here!!
>>
File: ebiku.png (1B, 486x500px)
ebiku.png
1B, 486x500px
E-bikes are amazing for commuting.

My commute is only 15 km each way, yet I would much sooner just drive my small SUV every day than pedal it taking 3x longer and using up valuable energy I could be using for building muscle, or recreational riding which I do a lot of.

I can certainly average 30 kph each way just pedaling my mountain bike, but that takes a ton of effort. When I'm wiped out from hike-a-biking 4000 m elevation in a weekend, I can still happily grab my e-bike and be riding a bike to work, getting some exercise and moving around.

Even with my over-powered 4.2 kW monster, I can add as much power with my legs as I want. Sometimes a lot, sometimes almost none. However, compared to sitting around driving being completely sedentary... even if I add zero leg effort, I'm still working out. Just supporting your body on a bicycle is a nice warm-up before work compared to driving.

Basically, e-bikes are fuckin' awesome and fun to commute with. Driving during rush hour is shit and traffic blows. E-bike can almost skip traffic entirely and road delays have little effect when you can just ride across any type of city terrain.
>>
I'm pretty sure that you can get some quite efficient ebikes for what they are.
>>
I want them to make ebikes that look like fixies and steel roadies.

I probably wouldn't buy them because of muh exercise but still. They'd look a lot more /fa/
>>
>>1028969
Just slap a Copenhagen wheel on a Pure Fix or whatever.
>>
I wouldn't ride one but they bring a LOT more people cycling in my city who would have used cars otherwise. That as a positive effect on cagers who drive expecting cyclists everywhere.
>>
>>1028969
Well the ebikes tour de France riders use are quite indistinguishable from unpowered road bikes.
>>
>>1028974
Not the previous guy, but are there any ebike available on the market that if you are were riding them and then stopped by a police, you can still tell the police what you are riding is just a regular bike? As local government have repeatedly stated that driver license are needed to drive them and those ebikes themselves also require licenses, but transportation department refuses to give any license for them, and corps are reportedly targeting ebike users to fine them or jail them. Hiw do you get those ebike through custim and border check anyway?
>>
>>1028961
I want you to make a thread dedicated to how you made this beautiful monstrosity. Seriously that thing looks legit af.
>>
>>1028824

A (good) e bike costs $900-2000.
I just bought a Suzuki TU250x for $1600. One of them can be ridden on the highway, one cannot.
One can be taken on the train, the other cannot.

A motorcycle and an e bike are two different things.
>>
>>1028961
Whats the top speed?
>>
>>1029006
What country/location?
>>
File: questioncat.gif (1B, 486x500px)
questioncat.gif
1B, 486x500px
>>1028961
Also what's the maximum range?
What does it weigh?
How many deaths would you die if you'd have to pedal back home with an empty battery?
How many non-electrified cyclists have managed to overtake you?
>>
>>1029020
hong kong
>>
>>1028961
I love this thing every time you post it, but let's be real: at 4.2kW, this is not an ebike. This is a homebuilt electric motorcycle that you can slowly pedal home if the battery dies.
>even if I add zero leg effort, I'm still working out.
In the "staying flexible" sense, not the burning calories sense.

>>1028969
>>1028971
Agreed, the Copenhagen wheel is the only A E S T H E T I C ebike that I've seen so far.
>inb4 "here's this ebike that's styled like a 100 year old motorcycle" no fuck off.
I got to test ride one back in September; it was super nice.
>>
>>1029030
If I remember correctly he's said it weighs about 90 pounds (40kg).

Asking about range on an assisted bike is a very difficult question to answer (and any number given by a manufacturer, without other information, is completely meaningless). Range can vary greatly based on terrain (uphill, downhill, or flat), temperature, speed, how much effort you're willing to put in (if any), and how much assistance you want. If you use only the motor's power and climb hills all day you're not going to get as far as if you travelled on flat ground and only used the motor for accelerating up to a certain speed and after that only used pedal power (a lot of places legally require an assistance speed limit).

>>1029052
>Aesthetics
It's all personal opinion buddy. Personally I prefer the look of something like a B52 over that hipster trash with a giant red M&M in the rear wheel.
>>
ive never ridden an electric bike and probably never will but i think the idea is cool
>>
>>1028761
Get a moped, nigga.
>>
Has anyone seen this?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/mate-the-coolest-and-most-affordable-ebike-ever-bicycle/x/15426203#/

I pledged a while back but I'm a little worried it's a scam or something.
>>
File: ebike.webm (1B, 486x500px)
ebike.webm
1B, 486x500px
>>1029011
I probably could.... I do like talking aboot it eh.

>>1029019
About 55 kph on the flats

>>1029030
>>Also what's the maximum range?
That can really vary a LOT depending on many factors, like winds, hills, average speed, full throttle accelerations, how much human power I'm adding, tires etc. Generally about 50-80 km or so, usually without pedaling a ton as I get massive workouts in when I ride my "regular" bike in the mtns.

>>What does it weigh?
About 90 lbs / 41 kg. Not light by any means, but a powerful hub motor is heavy and I also chose a battery chemistry that isn't known for having the highest power to weight ratio, but is known for being the most safe and most resistant to thermal runaway.

>>How many deaths would you die if you'd have to pedal back home with an empty battery?

Probably not even one as I am very fit. It wouldn't be fun. Takes a lot to accelerate but once up to speed it goes pretty good on flats with just pedalling.... It's a super pig on any hill climb without power.

>> How many non-electrified cyclists have managed to overtake you?

None.. this thing is fast. Even on a regular MTB with knobbies I could commute at double the speed I see most guys on the pathway doing with their road/commuter bikes and tiny slicks. Rare to see anyone actually biking fast on the paths here.

>>1029052

Glad you like it, and... well, you're basically correct yes.. it's a somewhere between lightweight motorcycle and high powered e bike. A motoped of sorts. I have a high level of handling skills so I don't feel I am a danger to others with it and ride very courteously and cautiously... I don't blast everywhere at full throttle anyway. I'm a bit of an adrenaline junky tho... so nice to get a bit of a rush on an average commute, and also commute quickly.

It will burn a lot more calories than driving, even with low leg effort. Aggressive cockpit position, aero tucks, and always "ghost" pedaling.
>>
Very nice. I recently bought a Cross Current and am so happy with it. Cut down my commute time by half and without exerting myself. Sometimes on my way home, Freds try to match my speed, but they can't. It's pitiful, so I slow down and let them pass.

/n/ always complain about the motor and batteries "if" you ran out of juice. It's like they complaining about cars that have no gas. Nobody is going to buy ebike and not plan to have juice in the tank, retards.
>>
File: 1443231576785.png (1B, 486x500px)
1443231576785.png
1B, 486x500px
>>1029832
Bro you can ride a car over 500 km on a full tank and and refueling with buing a hot dog takes 5 minutes. Meanwhile you have 50 km on bike and wait all night to recharge battery.
>>
>>1028961
that looks so sexy
>>
>>1031016
Even with the rubber tape everywhere and pop bottle hand guards? :)
>>
>>1031023
That makes it even sexier.
>>
>>1028761
Electric bikes are pretty nice. ignore the annoying purists and snobs who scoff at them.

my fav ones have been the specialized turbos, because they have the motor in the wheel and not the cranks, feels really natural, like any other bike. love it.
>>
electric bikes are a fad, like pogs.
>>
>>1033106
Nah. I'd say they're early tech, like VR. Soon enough, when batteries are ten times more powerful, ten times lighter and ten times cheaper, everyone will be riding one.
>>
>>1028761
Used to do delivery on ebikes

Theyre ok. About twice the matinence of a real bike, half the legal use. Youll always be about 1.25x faster on a road bike then a ebike.

Downhills the 80lb frame hydraulics disks are really, really, really fun. Like as in be careful you dont die dun.
>>
>>1033110
This

There is a wall. I rode a 50 mah 36v cargobike with 10inch wheels, you could go 20 mph for about 8 miles.

If i redid the bat i could maybe go 60 mph for 1 mile. Electric motors need more innovation

5 years and graphene batterys then ebike kits will be entirely wheel based.
>>
>>1033110
>>1033117
Sure batteries could be better, but I wouldn't say current battery tech is a limitation or a reason why more people don't ride ebikes.

The main reason why a lot of people won't buy them is cost. The second reason, for those that want a bike for uses other than commuting, is weight and that will come down as technology advances and more effort is put in by manufacturers.
>>
>>1033120
2.5k plus a hundred a month in matinence

For ok ish performance.

Honestly id say its refueling. Even with hotswap packs you need to either be loaded or put up with perfectly planning day trips

Because we can refuel with gas so much easier and quicker. It costs so much time to recharge ebikes compared to filling a moped or car with gas
>>
>>1033143
>a hundred a month in matinence
No, maintenance costs are basically the same as a non-assisted bike until something electrical breaks (at which point it's repair, not regular maintenance).

>Honestly id say its refueling
Charge in the evening/overnight. Battery capacity is good enough that most people won't run it down in a single day and a lot of commuters would be able to go multiple days.

Yes for some people the time to recharge or the capacity is an issue and those people should stick to ICEs or non-assisted bikes, but I'd bet that the high cost barrier applies to far more people.
>>
>>1033143
> plus a hundred a month in matinence
Blatantly made up.
>>
>>1033143
>2.5k plus a hundred a month in matinence

lol
>>
>>1033110
>Early tech
They almost replaced the role of motorcycle in many Chinese cities before government startibg banning them
>>
>>1033350
Banning them? Why? Do they not pollute enough for Chinese standards?
>>
>>1033143
>hundred a month in matinence
o_0 For what?

Or is this some sort of larger repair, like yearly battery replacement split in 12 months?
>>
>>1033354
No, it's just a random bullshit number that he pulled out of his arse. The battery won't have to be replaced after just one year nor would it cost $1200.
>>
>>1033351
Too powerful with speed up to 60km/h, involved in many traffic accidents, and some drive them on pedestrian roads which result in even greater danger. Although official rule say any ebike faster than 20km/h or heavier than 40kg are motor vehicle that require license, this rule is too strict and thus ignored by basically everyone. Thanks to that de facto no regulations, many of those ebikes currently in use in China are electric motorbikes repackaged with pedal, so some cities would simply choose to ban all of them.
Also the ban is not universal just like what happened to electric motorbike back in 2008-2013, some cities ban it while others welcome it, with some other cities flipping their policies from time to time. There are also situations where provincial government openly critize the ban enforced by some city government for not in line with national policy on promoting new energy.
>>
>>1033397
One would think instead of outright banning them they'd take it as an opportunity to fine reckless ebike riders left and right
>>
>>1033398
If they can't even stop reckless car drivers driving registered cars, how do you think they can stop those riders that neither themselves nor their vehicles are registered.
>>
>>1028961
>>1029818
What rear rim are you running on that thing? I've heard that powerful E-bikes tend to have spoke/rim issues from all the torque. Are you running standard 14ga spokes or did you find something stronger?
>>
File: 1392791034000.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1392791034000.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1029818
>ebike brappin'
>>
>>1029851
>2016
>still thinking charging takes all night

True, it's not 5 or 10 minutes, but buying an ebike to make long trips is pretty retarded.
>>
>>1033561

It's a fairly beefy Crystalite 31mm DH rim with 12 ga spokes. Bottomed out the rear tire quite a few times, with a couple really hard ones.. but no real issues. Only one broken spoke in 12 000 km so far that snapped at the nipple joint.

However I've found a lot of experiences ebike builders say that thicker spokes are counter-intuitive and actually cause more breakages due to not being able to flex as much. I think it also has to do with the fact that most thicker spokes are really cheap and shitty, whereas I used some quality Sapim ones.

A properly built DH rear wheel with some 14 ga spokes would probably also work quite well. I've also heard butted spokes in general can be more durable due to the flex factor.

>>1033570
brap brap!
>>
>>1033698
>12ga spokes
wew

>However I've found a lot of experiences ebike builders say that thicker spokes are counter-intuitive and actually cause more breakages due to not being able to flex as much.
Yeah, the whole point of butted spokes isn't to save weight, it's to keep spokes from breaking. A little bit of springiness in the middle of the spoke goes a long way towards reducing shock loads at the threads and at the hub flange.

Comparing a standard 14ga spoke to a 14/15/14 double-butted spoke, the straight-gauge spokes will make for a marginally more rigid wheel but one that is much more prone to breaking spokes over rough terrain. The only reason you'd ever use straight-gauge spokes is to save $ on a cheapo wheelbuild.
>>
>>1028761
great decision, ebikes are perfect for commuting
>>
everyone get what they wanted?
>>
did thy show anything ebike related at CES yet?
>>
Electric bikes are great except the weight of them, they are getting lighter but they still make it difficult to take on a train or bus
>>
>>1028761
Fuck off >>>/o/
>>
>>1028961
Think you could link to some good diy ebike resources?
>>
>>1039380
Not my bike but Endless Sphere should be able to answer any questions you may have. I haven't been on there much but what I have read has been good and I hear others recommend it a lot.
>>
I used to hate but i met an old geezer out in the wops who let me pitch my tent on his lawn, and he had an electric assist mtb that he strapped a rifle to and went pig hunting in the hills with his dogs (he just sold a pig dog for $5k). He had a ute and a quad bike too, but this was pretty boss.

Still haven't got much respect for cunts on them in the city though.

People need to do recreational cycling in their downtime and then commuting on an actual bicycle is effortless.
>>
>>1029052
>That thing
>Aesthetic
It looks like someone shoved a red Frisbee into the back wheel of an already cancerous fixie. I'd rather pedal around a DH bike than ride that sorry excuse for a bike.
>>
>>1040132
dafuq is going on with that drivetrain?

some kind of middrive gearbox instead of derailers cause giant motor in wheel leaves no room back there?
>>
>>1040143
Pretty much, it's a 9 speed gearbox.
>>
>>1039437
>People need to do recreational cycling in their downtime and then commuting on an actual bicycle is effortless.
Wow.
>>
can we ride them yet?
>>
>>1028824
Anon was referring to ebikes being priced high for value across the entire price spectrum, which is true. Even cheap e bikes you will be a getting a sub-par frame and not-worth-your-time components.

As for the fitness aspect, youre never going to get any fitter riding an e-bike, so the problem isnt going to go away. Riding the distances youre talking about every day will be difficult on a regular bike for the first month. After that though, your fitness will have inproved to a level where not only is the commute easy, but you feel like fucking superman at your job.

Overall 0/10 decision OP, sell it and get a roadie or hybrid
>>
>>1028973
>roads clogged up with a bunch of unaware casuals riding like they drive
Least cagers just see you and hank a bit rather than obliviously fucking swerve and chop your wheel
>>
>>1028974
>muh-chanical doping
>>
>>1029818
If you are so fit then buddy lets see your 2017 team contract. Because i am getting a pretty strong sense of inflated-ego cat 6 bandit that seems to go hand in hand with e-bike riding
>>
>>1033110
They should be regulated as part of any national disability assistance scheme. Not fit healthy adult should have cause to ride one of these things, they should be the reserved domain of the elderly and incapable
>>
>>1033391
>>1033354
I didn't need to pay it, but riding a company ebikes for 7 plus hours a day put a lot of costs with releasing hydros, tyre replacements, and breakpads were eaten though.

So I prolly rode them harder then most people would, but if you were serious about replacing a bike with a car, as someone who maintains several expensive bikes to replace cars I'd say get a touring bike or a specialized cargo bike, only get a ebikes with hotswap batterys.
You would need a 20 mah bat, I've rode 32s and although it works it takes too long to recharge. Carry 2 extra bats, the bat problem could be solved I think.

Incidentally, you can't have a good motor and be rechargeable. You get much more powerful results brushless.

The more I think about building a custom ebike...I end up realizing I know how flimsy bike tyres are. I'd rather a nice electric motorcycle really. As much as I'd like spds on a ebike...Yeah fuck it. Maybe a smart ebike front wheel motor fixie that can go up to 55mph with huge gearing.

But yeah. My downhill experience is teaching me that speed can be dangerous
>>
>>1041932
Oh yeah

Juiced cargo bikes are fun. They cost like 2.5k and can come with 32v bats.
>>
>>1041764
Eh? I didn't know you needed to be on a team, or race to be fit. Cat 6? Is that like road racing? Boring, I mostly ride rugged exposed mountain terrain.

Don't really need to prove anything to you, however for 2016 I accumulated 115 vertical km's. Mostly carrying my heavy mtb bike up to steep and loose mountain summits.
>>
>>1042191

Shooting your mouth off online about how hard you are doesnt make you hard. Im saying that if you were as insanely fit as you claim, someone else would know about it. Seems that these claims are just denial mode for having to use electric assist to ride a bike
>>
File: wendell.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
wendell.jpg
1B, 486x500px
>>1042317
You funny. How am I shooting my mouth off? All I said is I was fit, never said I was "insanely" fit. I carried 50 pounds of gear up 100 km of vertical gain this year, and I did a 160 km distance century ride on my knobby tired mtb no problem.

E-bikes are just awesome though. Why spend twice the time and 10 times the energy to pedal your ass to work on some uninspiring non-technical city route that will be nearly identical every day. Lame, rather spend my energy doing recreational riding or weight lifting.
>>
>>1029832
>specialized Turbo for 1/3 the price
Not bad.

The big bike brands make some OK stuff, but $4500 is shit. Price of a fucking motorcycle.
>>
>>1029832
congrats on buying a 1500$ bike with a sr suntour shock ;) just fuckin with ya its great looking for an ebike
>>
>>1042425
You have stated that you are "very fit" and can commute at double the speed of your average road cyclist on a "regular mtb with knobbies". So you quite demonstrably have tickets on yourself. Im getting a very clear image of you as someone who is quite insecure about themselves, and constantly rides aggressively and dangerously to prove themself to be "faster" than everyone else, even though you decry organised races. I think attending such races would do you a heap of good, both physically and emotionally, as it will physically condition you to a point where you are actually fast, and teach you some much needed humility to boot.
>>
>>1028761
My trip to campus is just too far to walk, too short to drive (and parking is impossible)

That said these fucking things rare impossible to comprehend. The name brand pre built ones cost about 5x the price of a basic shitter bike and building one yourself isn't much better, plus you're almost guaranteed to break something.

Why haven't they invented a cheap as fuck kit where you can just size your motor and battery according to your own needs?
>>
>>1042485
> can commute at double the speed of your average road cyclist on a "regular mtb with knobbies"
He was talking specifically about where he lives. He's basically saying that that most riders in his town are slow as shit, not that he's super fast.
>>
I've been looking at the bafang motors, specifically the bbshd, also checking out the batteries from lunacycles. I'm not sure how great of a set up it would be, but it seems like the best deal.
Has anyone got the bbshd on your set up and how long does it last with your battery size?
>>
>>1042500
>WAAAH I WANT IT I WANT IT WANT IT NOOOOOOOOW
>>
>>1042485
>>assumptions

My only point originally was really that I don't need an electric bike to be able to bike to work. But ebike only way I will actually bike to work instead of just driving as I put enough kms and wear on my body as is. Sure I ride aggressively but only when it is safe to do so. Mostly I ride for fun not speed as I already said.

>>1042503
Yea, you get it. Everyone here seems really slow. And I'm not the fastest rider in the world but I can do my 15 km commute on knobby mtb at 30 kph average with... great effort. Ebike just make commuting a lot more fun. Save the body for recreational wear and tear.
>>
>>1028761
wrong place to come and ask about e-bikes

this shit hole is filled with lycra-wearing wankers who think they're pro cylicsts

you made a good choice and leave it at that
>>
File: 1419817360003.jpg (1B, 486x500px)
1419817360003.jpg
1B, 486x500px
bumping because i'm about to buy a conversion kit despite knowing absolutely nothing about them or bikes in general besides sit and pedal. literally try and stop me.

just seems like it makes cycling easy (if you want it to be) and faster. that way i don't have to burn gas or arrive at work sweaty. seems like the best of both worlds
>>
>>1044108
Except you actually need to know how to ride a bicycle. Unless you want to add to the "these cyclists are cunts who just ride wherever!" statistic.
>>
>>1044114
well i'd add to that anyway learning how to properly use a bike on the road. i genuinely want to get into cycling but the learning curve feels so high
>>
>>1044117
If you have trouble with a bicycle on the road, an e-bike is just going to make you more dangerous
>>
>>1044108
4 kW ebiker here. I agree with the other posters, you should have some basic riding skills before going electric. It's just going to give you more weight (momentum), and speed. So it could be more dangerous for you and others.

Especially a kit, when you know nothing about bikes. A home-made ebike needs to be well maintained or it will just be a death trap.

Learn how to ride a bike, and how to maintain a bike... then consider a kit. If you absolutely have to, or already purchased said kit... do a lot of research on bike building and maintaining.

Take it eaaasy out riding, be safe and courteous to other path / road users. Get good tires, and brakes.
>>
>>1044142
>>1044157
If he has a legal level kit (around 250w in most places and an assistance speed limit of around 15mph) he's not going to be much of a danger. If he's a weaker rider he'll be cruising near that speed which is easy to handle and if he's strong enough to go faster then he'd still go faster on a lighter unassisted bike. The only areas he'll be faster is accelerating and climbing hills, both of which would actually be safer than going slowly.

On the other hand if he's got a 1000w unrestricted kit and is a mechanical moron and a shitty rider then he may end up dying.
>>
>>1044142
>>1044157
>>1044164
thanks guys. main reason i'm looking into an electric conversion kit is because where i live it is all hills and i can't realistically see myself learning how to properly cycle at that difficulty.

i'm trying to learn as much about bikes as possible but i feel like there's a huge barrier to entry when it comes to cycling. i'll try to throw together a few more hundred bucks and see how much my local bike shop can help me finding a not shitty bike.
>>
electric bikes are a gateway drug for motor cycles and shoudl be made illegal in our first world cuntries
>>
>>1044108
I want to buy an electric bike for the same reason.

I just want to get to work without being disgustingly sweaty, and getting a motorcycle would require way more maintenance than a bike.

I didn't know about conversion kits though. So I might consider those instead of a 2k bike.
>>
>>1046836
your shitposting is putrid, senpai
>>
>>1029637
This looks so awesome
>>
>>1047248
Just get a gym membership and shower when you get to the office, you lazy fat slob

Even if it's $100 a month, it's still cheaper than a car
>>
>>1047275
Still more expensive than an electric conversion. Also, not only will it take longer to get to work you also have to get there early so you have time to shower. That's assuming the place he works has its own gym with a shower.
>>
>>1047259
got you to respond though didn't i?

naw i think e bikes are pretty neat. i would like to make a e-cargo bike for picking up salvage and scraps from the roadside for tinkering and salvage.
and going to the shop and get groceries or purchase form the marketplace.

i never owned a car, never needed one and i have a folding vio sprint presently and it has improved my enjoyment and my range that i am out more frequently. thinking of getting a conversion kit for my cannondale from 1996 although i might need to replace the shocks.

but first i want to make a custom battery pack of 70 amp hours so i can go out for more than 40 kilometers between assists and charging my current battery pack only assists for 17 kilometers though these rolling hills
>>
How hard would it be to DIY a 300 watt electric engine on a bike?
>>
>>1028761
>How /n/ are electric bikes?
I work in an E-bike shop and they really vary across companies, but it's generally accepted that mid-drive are vastly superior to hub-motor bikes.

If you want a solid investment, try out something with a Bosch or Yamaha motor. They're pricier than something like Rad, but the difference is really apparent when you ride them. You can expect to pay anywhere from $2,750-$5500 for a good ebike.
>>
>>1040132
Now this is aesthetic
>>
>>1028761
Rode a kalkhoff for a while commuting, and I thought it was a very enjoyable experience. Most days I would just ride it on "ECO", which would be a comfortable ride but still pretty fast because of the electric support. The idea was that, living near the ocean, some days the wind is just unbearable and I could just up the electric support to "SPORT" or "POWER" and get considerably more behind it to still get there in the same trip time
It still felt kind of like cheating, and I still always rode around 30-32km/h even though it was capable of going about 55km/h on the max mode (but short range)

Total range on eco was about 120k's I think.

In the end I sold it and bought a race bike and I do about the same time, I would never ride an e-bike for anything other than commuting, but it was definitely an enjoyable ride. And I think e-bikes are a very cool way for older riders to still be able to ride with younger riders when their legs have gone
>>
>>1047433
The only way that thing is going to do 55km/h is down a long steep hill and a good tuck. 250w and that sort of gearing isn't going to get you anywhere near that on flat ground.
>>
>>1044108
As someone who tried and failed to do this, I would recommend not doing it.

It can take too much money and way too much time. You will probably be plagued with incompatibility issues between parts. If you are able to create something that moves, the likelihood of it being unsafe is high.

I now know much more about normal bikes, but would still shy away from the project. You see the guy in this thread with the legit bike? Not just anyone can build something like that, let alone someone with no knowledge.
>>
>>1047966
> You see the guy in this thread with the legit bike? Not just anyone can build something like that, let alone someone with no knowledge.
You mean the 4KW monster? That's hardly a reason for telling the other guy not to do a conversion.

If he gets a conversion kits it's rather easy to do and there shouldn't be any issues with incompatibility unless he has a weird frame with no room for the battery or orders the wrong size wheel/hub. The kit will likely come with instructions that will cover the electrical side of things (even though it's quite basic) and the mechanical isn't that different to working on a regular bike. Then there are websites like Endless Sphere that will have all the info you could ever need.
>>
If they get cagers out of cages and onto bikes they can only be a good thing. I can see the appeal of them, around my way there's plenty of long 10%+ hills which are unavoidable. I was grinding up a particularly steep road one day and a pretty girl in a summer dress overtook me on a cruiser with her handbag in a flower basket. I thought that was a pretty good example of why electric bikes may appeal.

Besides the only people who butthurt over them are gottagofast stravassholes and freds. Anything which rustles their jimmies is a good thing.
>>
OP here.

After having used my new bike for approximately 1.5 months, here's my review:

It's fucking awesome. I've been using it daily to get to work (38 kilometers daily) and only have to charge it every other day (usually only takes around 2-3 hours to fully charge). 450 ampere hours, iirc.

Because of the relatively weak motor (230 watt) and EU regulations, it can only provide assistance up to 25 km/h but I find that's more than enough for daily use. It's sometimes even dangerous to have it on maximum pedal assist if you're riding the bike in the city centre.

What really makes me love it, is the obvious: fast acceleration (reduces bike rage when the light turns red right as you're about to cross and you can't make it - who cares - the bike will make sure i'm back to full speed in no time). Because it's a relatively cheap bike and the aforementioned EU regulations etc. you can sometimes feel the bike not knowing whether to assist or not if you're hovering around the 25 km/h mentioned earlier. This (sometimes) causes the bike to stop/start the pedal assist which can be a bit annoying or take you out of the 'bike experience', but it's REALLY not something bad and you get used to it quickly. Besides, if I'm really bothered by it, I'll either just slow down and let the pedal assist do its thing or speed up and go faster than 25 km/h.

Anyway, from my perspective (not a lycra-wearing nerd like some of you guys), this has definitely been the right choice for me. I already used my old bike a lot but it was a heavy piece of shit made for a 5'4" old woman, so I'm glad I finally have something that's actually my size.

/blog out
>>
File: DSC03476.jpg (3MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC03476.jpg
3MB, 2592x1944px
2250w,,, that's mylimit.
,, I'm running 1000,, need to UP my Game!,
,it seems, I use the same juice going hilly route or flats., I work harder uphill,,, and REALY like CRANKING on the down hill, its like falling on the cranks,,Regen Whineing!
>>
>>1048817
Have you ever tried a power meter? I've always been curious how many watts someone could put out with their arms compared to legs.
>>
>>1048773
NERD! He has an opinion, Get Him!
>>
Bought a trek 920 today!

9 0 ' s r i g i d m t b w i t h s l i c k s

it's basically unridden and I paid $100 for it. Just bought $230 of parts for it (tires, tubes, saddle, pedals, etc) and my family's got a bionx ebike conversion kit laying around. The conversion will make it ugly but I don't care, this bike will be a treat. Bags, fenders, a polished crane bell, gonna HAUL STUFF and GET FAT.

I have unpowered bikes but I've got a job and I need all the energy for it I can spare.

Just am so excited I thought I'd share.
>>
>>1049663
PICS
I
C
S
>>
>>1049686
Will post when finished in a week or two! Not much of to look at now. Will share 'before' photo if I can remember.
>>
>>1048773

Thank you for your review. I'm considering one for a daily 30km ride.
>>
>>1048773
Two questions
How many kilos have you put on?
And
How many times have you been laughed at by real cyclists?
Asking for a friend
>>
>>1049430
im on it, chief
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.