[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Last year, buy a Walmart bike, pic related >"Eh fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

>Last year, buy a Walmart bike, pic related
>"Eh fuck it better than nothing."
>One year later
>The brake cables are fucked, the little caps at the end came off and now I stab myself when I move my hand down near them.
>Speaking of brakes, the rear brakes are completely fucked to Hell, with no chance of ever using theme without replacing the damn pads and brake cables entirely.
>Rear deraileur constantly shifts up and down gears, and goes slack when I put load on the peddles, leading to very dangerous situations when the fucker goes slack during a ride on the road
>The seat is extremely fucking uncomfortable and hard. I am too lazy to buy a new one.
>The handlebar covers are worn away too
>The chainwheel is very wobbly; I'm pretty sure its going to break anytime now.
This was a mistake.
Realistically, how much money would it cost to make this fucking thing worth riding? Or am I better off throwing it in the dumpster and getting a bike that isn't garbage?
>>
File: spock_fail.jpg (112KB, 800x578px) Image search: [Google]
spock_fail.jpg
112KB, 800x578px
>>1028721
>minor things except maybe the wobbly chainwheel
You'd be better off with another used one. But things like brake pads will wear out on that one, too. You'd better learn to keep it in shape
>>
you could dump a million billion dollarydoos into that pile of shit and it would never be worthy

trash it and get an 80s japanese road bike or a 90s mtb w/slix
>>
>>1028723
Alright.
Well how much would a decent used bike be? I'm very poor. I'm a retard working part time at Walmart as a cart pusher while working my way through college. I pretty much just bike to work. I could just run but biking is funner.

Would installing new brake pads and cables be difficult? The only thing I've done bike-mechanic wise is just install fucking lights and replace the tire which went flat a few weeks ago.
>>
>>1028727
wow there's no /bbg/ in the catalog how about that

anyway a decent used bike can be had for around $200, unless you live in a tech boom city or the midwest. since you're in a college town there should be a better availability of bikes. post your local craigslist and maybe we can find you something.

installing pads and cables is child's play
>>
>>1028721
You should get another bike and I'd Budget at least $500 new or half that for used
>>
>>1028721
You're better off with a non-garbage bike, BUT, even a good bike doesn't magically take care of itself.
>The brake cables are fucked, the little caps at the end came off and now I stab myself when I move my hand down near them.
New cable end crimps are like 10ยข at your local bike store and you can crimp them on with a pair of needlenose pliers.
>The seat is extremely fucking uncomfortable and hard. I am too lazy to buy a new one.
Yes. Yes you are.
>>
>>1028732
https://houston.craigslist.org/
Believe it or not I have actually never gone on here before

>>1028735
Damn that'd hurt the wallet a bit. I'd have to save up a bunch.
>>
>>1028742
https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/5855416412.html
A little dorky but solid, honest transportation. Looks in fantastic shape; a bargain at that price.
>>
>>1028742
At $160, I like this Cannondale a lot.
https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/5881035316.html

90s MTB with SLIX and dropz alert...this is a ridiculously good deal because of Diamondback's low brand value. I'd buy this in a second.
https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/5847789487.html

90s MTB alert
https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/5853346529.html

If you're tall this would be neat, although the age might make finding certain parts a bit of a pain in the ass.
https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/5845877432.html

Cannondale Multisport 600 tri bike. It had aerobars on there at one time but then the owner decided to try going vintage and fucked it up.
https://houston.craigslist.org/bik/5880892001.html
>>
>>1028721
The fuckin brake pads are worn and you are blaming the bike?
You dirty faggot, OP.
>>
>>1028721
literally all you have is a frame. get everything else redone.
>>
>>1028721
If you buy Walmart bikes get a cruiser bike. You CAN'T have these problems with a 1 speed coaster brake bike. I have had some department store bikes be okay. You can probably adjust the derailleurs.
>>
>>1028721
that's all your fault, not the bikes, if you cared to give it proper maintenance it'd still be fine.
>>
>>1028721
>The brake cables are fucked
Brake cables always stretch out when you use them.
Have to be readjusted after time, any bike.

>brake pads
Things you always have to replace on any brake because they always wear out after time.

> I am too lazy to buy a new one.

>>The chainwheel is very wobbly
This is the one real problem.

Derailleur is also something that needs to be adjusted on any bike with a derailleur, any derailleur.

Walmart bikes most likely have shit frames and the chainwheel sounds like a real problem but for the most part you just seem like a lazy bastard who does not maintain his bike.

And don't give me the "but I do maintain my bike", if you don't replace worn out brake pads you are a moron.
> I am too lazy to buy a new one.
>>
>>1028721
>not maintaining his own bike
>complains when problems happen due to lack of maintenance
>>
>>1028721
The funny thing is it's hard to fuck up a steel frame and spoked wheel bike, but you managed it by doing

ZERO
E
R
O

maintenance. The wobbly chauffeuring is likely just the cranks coming off the spindle, literally just tighten it. Everything else is basic shit you have to take care of with every single bike that exists. Also, clean and lube your shit.
>>
>>1028721
op 1st thing you need to learn about bikes is how to take care of them, just like a car they require a little bit of maintenance from time to time. new brake cables are about $5, grips are like $10, adjusting the derailleur can be as hard as replacing the cable or as easy as twisting the adjustment barrel nut/screw. And so on and so on...

Another thing is to keep the bike clean, preferably inside instead of baking in the sun and sitting in the rain and snow all the time. And if you do dirty it up just a simple wipe down and a little chain lube goes a long way.
>>
not worth fixing. just buy another walmart POS or get a rigid 90's MTB
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.