[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does it cost $800 million to scrap a $570 million ship

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Costa_Concordia_Abwracken.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Costa_Concordia_Abwracken.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
How does it cost $800 million to scrap a $570 million ship in shallow water?
>>
Tools and labor, son. It costs money to scrap a huge pile of worthless junk too, ya smell me bruh?
>>
>>1028094
Probably complying with environmental regulations

It Would otherwise cost, what? Skeleton crew wages, food and fuel to put it out in the middle of nowhere, $200 in explosives to sink it, and another chartered boat to bring back the crew
>>
There couldn't be $800 million worth of scrap metal in that boat.

Knowing that, why don't they just drain of it fuel and oil, tow it out to deep waters and sink it?
>>
>>1028094

Should of shipped it to an Indian shipbreaking yard. Would of cost $10 000 and a couple bags of rice.
>>
File: shipbreakers-opener-990[1].jpg (242KB, 990x660px) Image search: [Google]
shipbreakers-opener-990[1].jpg
242KB, 990x660px
>>1028999
>>
>>1028151
Environmental regulations. As long as you own it, you have to dispose of it properly.

The common loophole is to sell the worn out hulk to a company in a different country who "operates" it for a while. Maybe it changes hands a few times through a series of more and more disreputable shell companies, so the original owner can reasonably claim they weren't evading regulations and didn't know where it was going to end up. A few years later it mysteriously shows up on a beach in India >>1029004 where there are zero regulations to comply with and labor is basically free, so some actual value can be extracted from scraping the hulk.
>>
>>1029038
>Environmental regulations. As long as you own it, you have to dispose of it properly.
Unless there is some toxic component on the ship, sinking it is the best option because it creates a new place for sea creatures.
>>
>>1028999

I came in to post this.

It is not even really the process of separating the items properly. It is all the certifications, inspections and certified laborers (someone who had $6,000 worth of training to show them how to put on gloves and a face shield) and certified "technicians" ($20,000 to show them how to uninstall fluorescent lights).

There are some countries that have a good middle ground between Chittagong and California. In any first world country it becomes a real racket.
>>
>>1029117
A) that's debatably bullshit
B) ships are, sorta by definition, full of toxic junk. Going through the effort of stripping out anything that might leak into the surrounding environment will cost a lot; why go through all of that trouble if the plan is to sink the ship in the end? You can *make* money by selling to a shady shipbreaker.
>>
>>1028999
>Should of
>>
>>1029205
and
>would of
right in the next sentence, too.

shame, really. he's probably a bro but it's just so cringe-y.
>>
Hey, I can see my house in op's pic
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.