[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My bikes never click as loud as my friends. Anybody else

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 4

File: 469932540_XS.jpg (57KB, 673x449px) Image search: [Google]
469932540_XS.jpg
57KB, 673x449px
My bikes never click as loud as my friends. Anybody else have this same problem?
>>
>>1026658
double-TAAAPP!!!
>>
What do you mean by "click"? Does that mean your friends have noisy derailleurs or noisy hubs?
>>
Increase cable tension to the max. Your system will click nicely.
>>
Get a sun ringlé hub.
>>
Stick a playing card in your spokes
>>
If you mean when freewheeling, then thats just how some wheels arw constructed. My Mavic Ksyriums are noisy as fuck compared to the Bontrager whatevers on my trek.

Whereas if its gears you mean, then your shifting might either be silky smooth or in need if a service.
>>
SRAM
R
A
M
>>
OP, fucking learn to tune your rear derailleur.
>>
>>1026699
fair say...although i am talking about the hub
>>
my cassette is so loud it clicks like a army of angry wasps. I LOVE loud cassettes that go click click click click. Its the how the cassette prowls that makes the ticking
>>
My freehub is very silent and I love it for it
>>
SRAM:

Click
Click
CRUNCH
Click
Clickkkckckkckckkckckkckckkcckkckckckckkckkckkckckckkckkkckkckckck
click
click
snap
click (nothing happens)
>>
>>1026670
The hub. It never makes that clickity clackity as loud as people I ride with
>>
>>1026727
Some roadies prefer noisy hubs. I wouldn't worry much about that, anon.
>>1026704
Oh alright. My Ultegra hubs are not very noisy and I love them like that. I don't see how noisy hubs could make any advantage at all.
>>
>>1026746
>I don't see how noisy hubs could make any advantage at all.
Why wear cool clothes?
>>
>>1026760
I don't see how a noisy hub could be considered "cool"
>>
>>1026746
loud freehub bodies that go BRAAAAAAAP are a safety device on narrow mountain bike trails, they warn anyone downtrail that a bike is coming.

>>1026763
Personally I'm with you, I want my bike to be be silent except for a gentle whir as the chain goes round.
>>
I have Swiss Side wheels so no, that's not a problem. Not only is the freewheel loud as, the actual wheels are noisy in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9JBSDVKQgA
>>
>>1026782
Well, that is pretty fucking loud.
>>
Reminder for anyone that wants loud freehubs that it takes energy to create sound
>>
>>1026787
Sure, but compared to other forms of energy sound uses a minuscule amount of watts relative to its intensity.
>>
Quiet hubs: eerily quiet, and on a well tuned bike on a smooth road, absolutely bliss.

Loud hubs: BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP.

Having ridden my friend's Ultegra wheels, and my own Rolfs with the old DT Swiss star ratchets, I have to say I like both.

>although it's not as loud when you're on the bike, than when you're off of it
>>
>>1026694
This. My sram front derailleur is better than any bell to warn pedestrians of my approach.
>>
>>1026763
I first had shimano hubs which are known for their silence, and I loved the silence when coasting
I also have carbon wheels with DT Swiss 240 hubs (36t star) and I like it too. It is more of a LISTEN TO ME appeal when rolling the bike around, but I can't say that it appeals as much when riding. Many times I don't even notice it when riding because I am used to it. Sometimes I like to hear it, sometimes I don't. When I don't want to hear anything, I just soft pedal instead of coasting. When I feel like letting my inner child show on social group rides, I put it in 50x11 while rolling downhill and pedal backwards really fast for maximum noise

talking about road bikes, if you didn't pick up on that
>>
>>1026782
oh ya. that's what im talking about. like a mechanic working with a ratchet set
>>
File: 1331524407492.jpg (80KB, 443x388px) Image search: [Google]
1331524407492.jpg
80KB, 443x388px
>>1026719
>click (nothing happens)
>>
>>1026773
>MTB safety device
Get a bell and ding it before blind corners if you care about this. No hub is loud enough for the sound to carry far enough ahead to make a difference at speed.

I love my near-silent Ultegra hub.
>>
>>1026719

Shimano:

クリック
クリック
クランチ!!
クリック
クリッククリッククリッククリッククリッククリック
クリック
クリック
スナップ!
クリック ( ご理解ください )
>>
I'm torn. The roadies have silent Shimano hubs. The MTB has crazy loud Hope 4 pawl hubs.
>>
>>1026727
coaster hub
>>
>>1026658
Had a faulty wheel my LBS replaced.
Now I don't have any click click click for some reason.

>Snowy night
>Stop peddling
>Can only hear the wind through leaves
>peace lvl over 9000
>>
>>1026924
99% positive those aren't Japanese onomatopoeias.
>>
>>1029550
onomatopoopies
>>
>>1026658

I have some fairly generic formula hubs on my 29er and I'm so fucking quiet that I can tail roadies without them being aware of anything. They say loud hubs are better because it means they are "more expensive" but I say fuck this shit I wan't my ride to be quieter than walking and some grease packing my "cheapish" hubs did the job.
>>
>>1029550

please understand..
>>
>>1026913
tell that to the swarm of irate bees residing in my old 8spd campy hub
>>
>>1029572
Back in the 90s and early 00s the quieter the hub was, the higher quality it was considered. The trend is now reversed, and people seek loud hubs. The truth is, any hub can be made quiet by means of skillful lubrication.

Also, if you can hear your freehub, you're being lazy - start pedalling you fat fuck!
>>
File: IMG_20161126_134512_1.jpg (1MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161126_134512_1.jpg
1MB, 4608x3456px
Soon to be built. Now I'm not the quiet one anymore :)
>>
>Not having a siren freewheel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AANPFqqqsZA
>>
>>1029878
This is just horrible!
>>
>>1029875
See, I have been avoiding hope rear hubs for years as I can't stand the feckin' noise of them.
I like my bike to run silent as possible.

They are generally pretty good hubs, seems a shame not to produce a silent pawl version. I bet that it would sell well.
>>
>>1029885
Putting just a bit of grease on the pawls should silence just about any hub. Don't overdo it though, or the pawls will stick or become sluggish. Also, the grease should be relatively light.
>>
>>1026706
Loud hubs are literally the equivalent of "fart can " exhaust pipe on car"
>>
>>1029895
Yep, tried a few and found that the best compromise was marine grease to deaden the click without getting too gummy.
Still hate them just because of the sound though. Had to get rid.
My old dh bike had a Hadley Ti and it had a beautifully quiet but buzzy freehub. Quite liked that one.
>>
>>1029878
10/10
>>
>>1029878

You call that a siren?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DshmQFdoFU
>>
>>1030017
I prefer a torque wrench to a circular saw
>>
File: fred.jpg (155KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
fred.jpg
155KB, 612x612px
>>1026658
Get higher end components then faggot
The high end ones are loud, they make them that way just so freds can show off their fancy stuff
>>1026746
The advantage is that freds feel good about themselves when they have loud freehub bodies

Pic related.
>is fat
>from eating too much meat
>from not being vegan
>needs to be a fred to make up for his insecurity over being fat
>gets expensive bike
>gets aero helmet
>puts gopro on helmet
>gets loudest hub on the market
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.