[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/bqg/ - Bike Question General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 32

File: workshop.jpg (388KB, 1280x742px) Image search: [Google]
workshop.jpg
388KB, 1280x742px
Old thread >>1020209

Bikes are good for your health, bla bla bla, They are amazing.

If you have a question, get in here.
>>
I recently built my first wheel (rear) it took me a lot of trial and error but I got it nice and true now. There is one problem though the wheel is sligtly off center like maybe 1cm (out of dish) to the left will it affect the stability or handling in any way?
>>
Is this a good deal for an Ultegra bike?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/knight_x.htm

Anyone have experience with Windsor bikes?
>>
File: full32645.jpg (137KB, 425x516px) Image search: [Google]
full32645.jpg
137KB, 425x516px
Repoasting. I've got a two parter regarding bike storage:

1. Is there any problem with hanging a bike like pic related? Will it damage the wheel after ling periods of time?

2. Say I'm considering long term storage, should I take my bikes inside or leave them in the garage?
>>
>>1022259
Bikes should be sturdy enough for the garage unless you have a steel bike and you risk rusting.

Some people bring bikes inside because it is less likely to be stolen there
>>
>>1022258
Not him, but is this a good deal as well?

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/kestrel/road-bikes-kestrel-talon-ultegra.htm

I know Kestrel's bretty good, but I've never dealt with bikes direct before.
>>
Looking for my first road bike. Any suggestions? And is it cool to buy online or should I buy from a shop and have it professionally fitted?
>>
>>1022271
if you have little idea what you are doing, go to LBS, If you have a good understanding of bikes go used or online.
>>
>>1022274

LBS?
>>
>>1022275
Local Bike Shop
>>
>>1022275
If you didn't know what that acronym was then you defiantly shouldn't order online.
>>
>>1022275
local bike shop

AKA the people who charge ridiculous markups on parts because they know people who do their own maintenance still want them around to either A) fix their screwups or B) get other people into bikes.

$40 for a 105 chain my ass.
>>
How important is it to buy a brand named bike over cheap retailer bikes?
>>
>>1022276
>>1022277
>>1022278

Gotcha.
>>
>>1022279
if by cheap retailer bike you mean stuff from a Walmart or Target, then very. Those things will be poorly put together with crap-tier components. If you ride regularly, you may spend more on maintenance than you would have on a nicer bike.
>>
>>1022278
went to my lbs and saw a KMC gold chain 11spd for 120CAD
>>
>>1022282
yeah, it was $40 at LBS and $17 online. I would have paid like $25 at the LBS because I want to support them, but $40 is too much. The only reason I go there anymore is if I desperately need a tube or to poke through their sale bins.
>>
>>1022281
I also mean stuff like Bikes Direct and other Chinese brands. I will avoid mass store brands.
>>
>>1022286
i would avoid chink stuff unless it was a replica frame that you built up yourself, online brands like wiggle and chainreaction are good, you can get a Fuji or Cube with good specs for a decent price.
>>
>>1022286
BD is mostly OK if you know what you're doing and can do basic maintenance yourself. I wouldn't buy carbon from them, or anywhere where I don't have a good idea of what QAQC was done.

Like >>1022288 said, Chainreaction, Wiggle, Merlin, Planet X, Nashbar--all good online retailers
>>
>>1022256
1cm is a lot, enough that you should definitely correct it. The bike might not ride appreciably different, but with the dish off that much you're going to have trouble centering your brakes and slightly increase the likelihood of breaking your axle.

>>1022259
1. No problem hanging a bike by the wheel - you'll put more strain on the wheels every time you ride
2. the garage is fine, you just need to store your bikes away from sunlight and humidity

>>1022266
That's a solid deal, with the usual caveat that you should only buy a BD bike if you already have the tools/knowledge to assemble it (and in this case, that includes a torque wrench), otherwise you should take it to a bike shop for assembly.

>>1022279
see my answer above about BD bikes

Also, any direct-from-China purchase should be treated as a gamble, sometimes you'll get a great deal, sometimes you get a lemon and there's no way to get a refund/replacement.
>>
>>1022289
Aren't they Chinese brands too, or do they have a proper customer service system like big retailers?
>>
>>1022292
chinese brands as in made in china? well shit I guess Giant,trek,specialized etc is all chink shit.
>>
>>1022292
The ones I listed except nashbar are based in the UK
>>
>>1022296
I just mean proper customer support.

If zero customer support, I would be scared.
>>
>>1022290
Would it end up costing close to retail if I bought from BD and then went to a LBS to get it assembled, or would it still be a good deal?
>>
>>1022302
yes all the big online stuff like wiggle and chainreaction have customer support and are very professional companies, shit even stuff on ali express have great customer support, fake carbon has 2year warranty, im definantly getting a bootleg venge vias in the future.
>>
the quick release on my new bike is fucking dumb and I have to untwist the nut to get it past the lawyer knobs. is there an easier way to do this or do I basically have to reset it every time? I've done it wrong and left the wheel slightly loose in the dropouts and I'm concerned it could damage the bike.
>>
>>1022305
online brands often supply the tools included with the bike to build it yourself, its not that hard unless you are EXTREMELY mechanically challenged, so basically if you were a girl.
>>
>>1022290
>Also, any direct-from-China purchase should be treated as a gamble, sometimes you'll get a great deal, sometimes you get a lemon and there's no way to get a refund/replacement.

I've heard dengfu ship out replacement frames with nothing more than an email with photos of the failed frame, so some of them are fine for post sales support
>>
>>1022307
you will just have to reset it everytime, its not that hard, only what? 5 extra seconds to take it on and off? so what? i do it to my bike on too.
>>
>>1022307
If it really bothers you, you could file the lawyer knobs off your fork.
>>
>>1022313
no, it's just new to me and I have trouble doing it consistently - I'll think I'm in right and then the wheel will wobble slightly, and I've gone on rides with a wobbly wheel and not really noticed until after. I guess I'll get used to it and do it better.
>>
>>1022314
Just a suggestion then - put some weight on your handlebars while you tighten the skewer, this will ensure it's seated completely every time
>>
>>1022306
They send me screws and wrenches for me to make my bike, right?

Anyone know if I could settle for Claris as my first bike or should I at least go Tiagra? I am not particularly rich and I would like to use some cash for cycling outfit.
>>
>>1022309
>>1022318
Whoa, wait, online retailers like Bikes Direct just include a torque wrench and everything I need to include a bike with my purchase?
>>
File: large-adpic1-1472775523-15402.jpg (75KB, 470x480px) Image search: [Google]
large-adpic1-1472775523-15402.jpg
75KB, 470x480px
>>1022321
All you need is some hex keys to assemble the bike.
this is the torque wrench included in canyon bikes too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3UIIz8cVms
>>
>>1022318
If you are scarce on money go claris, although it may be worth it to go and get tiagra. You could always get clothing from the thrift store, you find good name brand jerseys with charity logos and designs all the time. no one cares what you wear anyway, get some sugoi jersey for 5$ while it retails 40-60$
>>
How often should I clean my bike (or deep clean it) if I just simply ride it on the road only?
>>
>>1022334
Clean it when it's dirty.
>>
>>1022318
You should get Tiagra 4700. It's almost the same as current 105/Ultegra, except heavier and only 10 speeds. Claris is 8 speeds and multiple generations of tech behind.

>>1022321
No, Canyon does because they sell mostly garbon bikes. You don't need a torque wrench if you're not an idiot, and if you do, you can buy one at harbor freight for $10, but you'll also need hexes for it.
>>
>>1022334

You'll get a million opinons on this. I only wash my bike after it's been in the wet because I want to clean all the gunk out of the chain and re-lubricate it. I don't bother otherwise
>>
>>1022347
So 'clean so your bike lasts longer' is more myth than fact?

Also, should I worry about taking apart my bike to wash it or should I worry about that when I have enough money for tools?

Speaking of money, what cycling clothing should I get first?

Obviously Helmet is important. But what next? Cycling shorts/bib? Cycling shoes? I worry I won't have the money for the whole cyclist kit right away
>>
>>1022354
what kind of bike do you have and how often/how far do you ride it?
>>
>>1022356

I'm thinking about buying one. Plan to do 1 hour rides every other day. So I need a proper clothing for it. Might even commute with one too
>>
>>1022361
By buying one, I meant a road cycle
>>
>>1022346
garbon meaning garbage carbon, I assume?
>>
>>1022361
>>1022362
Padded shorts and a helmet are the most important thing. Followed by clipless pedals and relevant shoes.

>>1022364
no, garbon is just a meme word for carbon. No quality implications.
>>
Where can I find info on "Universal Bottom Brackets" UBBS ?
>>
>>1022371
Hexes are okay for me, but the way you're making it sound, carbon bikes require a torque wrench, but aluminum and steel don't? Am I reading this wrong?
>>
>>1022374
If you're new to wrenching bikes, definitely use a torque wrench on carbon. Carbon fibre is very weak against the direction of the actual fibres, you can fuck a frame by overtightening far easier than a metal tube. If you're more experienced and know what 4nm of force feels like by hand you can get away without one, but it's just good practice and isn't a big investment.
>>
>>1022374
in theory its best to use a torque wrench for everything because frames are designed to have a certian amount of pressure applied at each mounting point.

However, with steel frames especially, and to a lesser extent aluminum frames, the frame is so strong that unless your name is Arnold Schwartzenegger you aren't going to be strong enough to overtighten things by hand.

You can easily fuck up a carbon frame by overtightening if you do it with all your strength, so its a good idea to always use a torque wrench on garbon
>>
>>1022372
>Universal Bottom Bracket
Do you also believe in unicorns, the fountain of youth, and trickle-down economics?
>>
>>1022346
>8speed
>generations behind
8 speed is best speed my dude
>>
File: G102TTCC-H4-SIDE-AVANT_H50.jpg (749KB, 1620x1400px) Image search: [Google]
G102TTCC-H4-SIDE-AVANT_H50.jpg
749KB, 1620x1400px
What's the general consensus on endurance frame bikes?

I'm deciding between bikes and I'm thinking of getting an Orbea Avant H50 rather than the SPZ Allez E5 I wanted.

Are the frame differences even there since they're both entry level bikes or does it truly have differences?
I mean, I know that the riding position might change but I don't think the Allez E5 even has that strong of speed stance, right?
>>
Kind of an embarrassing question, but what do I do to help me with my fear of toppling to the side? I am a big guy on a small bike and I don't want to fall to the side on top of traffic
>>
File: cia director 1.jpg (140KB, 902x655px) Image search: [Google]
cia director 1.jpg
140KB, 902x655px
>>1022516
Get a big bike, big guy.
>>
File: 20161029_182503.jpg (800KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20161029_182503.jpg
800KB, 2048x1152px
Not a question, just a review...

Purchased ultegra shift cable. Replaced and de gunked 105 shifter. Omg, insane difference. Installed and indexed with no problems. ..highly recommended
>>
I'd like to start biking to and from college for many reasons including health benefit , increased TDEE , joocy legs and saving money , I do a bit of weightlifting and run 8 Km 4 to five time a week at around 11 Kph .
I never cycled once during the past 8 years and i'd like to know how long would it take for me to get conditioned to biking between 35-45 km two time a day in less than 2 hours , Five to six day of the weeks .
>>
>>1022526
You sound like you can do it already. 15mph is easy for someone like you...you and in shape. 22mph might take time and lots of painful rides
>>
>>1022526
You want to ride 35km-45km in less than 2 hours, then later in the day do the same again?
>>
>>1022526
Couple of weeks? Sounds to me like you'll have no problem with the fitness aspect, learning how to dress for the commute and manage your time will probably be the real things you'll have to overcome.
>>
>>1022511
I'd look up the geometry tables for each bike to be sure of the details in this case, but if you're a new rider I wouldn't stress about it too much - you're going to be fine either way, and you won't really have anything to base your preferences on until you've spent a couple months riding your first bike around.
>>
>>1022537
I've been riding an even lower tier road bike for about 6 months. I do see that I'm more comfortable in not an agressive speed form, but maybe that could also be due to how my bike is?
>>
What is a good height for road cycles?

My bike store let me ride one but I was on tippy toes and felt like I was going to fall
>>
>>1022542
Your best option in this case is to test ride the various bikes you're considering, it's impossible to predict for certain which bike would be best for you without knowing specifically what about your current fit/frame needs to be different.
>>
>>1022549
Generally your feet aren't supposed to touch the floor.

But it's a mix of leg distance and arm distance, get a bike fit.
>>
>>1022549
With road bikes the important thing is to be able to get proper leg extension when sitting on the saddle - this means that you'll never be able to get both feet on the ground while seated. However, if you can't straddle the top tube, that's a clear sign the frame is too big.
>>
File: n9zhadnzo5ux.jpg (214KB, 674x589px) Image search: [Google]
n9zhadnzo5ux.jpg
214KB, 674x589px
I'm looking for something under $1000 that can handle light gravel and pavement. I'm not sure whether to go for a touring bike, cyclocross, or standard road bike. I ride about 20-30 miles every weekend on a $65 90s MTB so anything is really an improvement. I'd like to go farther but its kinda difficult on such an inefficient set up. What would you guys recommend and what specific models do you think would work oit for me? That Fugi touring everyone talks about is really tempting.
>>
>>1022578

go for a cross bike with rack and fender mounts or anything in the "gravel" spectrum
>>
>>1022591
Any specific models I should look for? It's hard finding them in my price range. What about an endurance bike with 25-32mm tires?
>>
>>1022594
endurance with discs should work as well. most caliper brakes are going to only accomodate up to 28mm tires. While those will work on gravel something in the 32mm is probably gonna work better.

In the gravel/cross range, I'd look at the GT Grade or Diamondback Haanjo.
>>
>>1022595
Am definitely liking the Grade over the Haanjo. The Grade seems like it would be better on pavement. I guess i could always change out the tires if i find myself biking on one surface alot more than the other.
>>
>>1022595
Yeah i think the GT Grade is exactly what i need
>>
>>1022526
Not even die hard roadies do 400km a week (80x5)
>>
>>1022616
No, they do much more than that
>>
Am I too big to ride a road cycle? 307 pounds and I worry about uphill climbs
>>
i have a bike with hydraulic brakes but they arent strong at stopping. they work but it takes more than twice as far to stop as with some cable mechanical brakes i have on diff bike. they are magura are they just junk or not setup properly?
>>
I'd like to get a bike for commuting to work (10km) as well as riding for fun on weekends. My budget is $1000. I like this one and the guy is pretty close to me:
http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/bik/5808587755.html
Is it worth checking out or is he asking too much? $980 CAD is $730 in burgerbucks. Anything in particular I want to watch out for?
>>
>>1022626
Maguras are good. The most common cause of poor braking is either pads that are too worn or they're contaminated with oils. Second would be air in the lines which would mean they need bleeding, if you have to pull the lever excessively far and it feels spongy then this is the cause.
>>
>>1022625
Nah, just get something with fat ass wheels
>>
File: IMG_1008.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1008.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey all, I've been biking for fun the last couple of years and next summer I'd really like to try my hand at a criterium. I have an OK road bike but I'm wondering if I'll get laughed at because it's pretty old. It's an aluminum frame w carbon fork, changed all components to 105 last year
>>
>>1022634

I don't think I've ever seen a cyclist laugh at someone else's bike before. And I live in the douchiest part of orange county, california.

Your bike looks nice and well taken care of, you'll be fine.
>>
>>1022634
Nah, no one cares. I've been on races with people riding on steel bikes. They were faster than me.
>>
>>1022635
>>1022637
Cool, thanks for the quick answers.
Another random question, at one of the crits I'm looking at there's a Cat 5 race (25 mins) first thing in the morning and then later in the day there's a Cat 4/5 (30 mins). Do you guys think I should go to one over the other? [spoiler]Or both?[/spoiler]
>>
Is there a good, inexpensive camera I can use to record my rides? I'm wanting to get the plate numbers of the assholes who drive into the bike lane.

Also, what do you do when there is a pedestrian walking in the bike lane instead of on the sidewalk and refuses to move? These fat women keep walking in the clearly marked bike lane when there is a sidewalk RIGHT THERE.
>>
>>1022641
The first one only.
>>
>>1022642
You yell GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE BIKE LANE
>>
>>1022627
yea its good, less than 1000 for 105 is a good deal, i got my 2gen old tiagra bike for 850 in toronto.
>>
>>1022645
Cool thanks. I was having a hard time with pricing because the market doesn't really seem to be the same up here, even with the currency converted
>>
Is it a normal sensation to feel like toppling over during first road bike rides?

I tried one today and it nearly scared me off from going all in.

When does this fright go away?
>>
>>1022657
when you go faster

i'm not kidding

going faster will make you feel more stable
>>
>>1022249
I love this bench...
>>
How prone to puncture are regular 27" Paselas ?
Is the PT version much slower ?
Also, are there any high quality semi slick 27 x 1 3/8 tires out there ? All I can find online are knobbed off-road or cheapo brands..
>>
>>1022371
>Followed by clipless pedals and relevant shoes.
unless you're a beginner mtber. learn your basic skills on flats first, then go clipless.
>>
>>1022525
Mostly because I'm a cheapo, but I've had a lot shooting a solvent through a derailler cable to get it working smoothly.
>>
>>1022578
Nashbar has a touring bike well within that range too.

How hilly is your area, and by gravel do you mean a few km of loose windy gravel roads, or of packed gravel trails?

Gear range and tire selection are what really limit you.

>>1022634
That a pretty nice bike man.

>>1022625
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61u5euw9UZI
Wide gears and tires are your friend. Also make sure your knees don't interfere with your tub, you'll develop a bad pedal stroke.

>>1022371
Might be obvious, but a water bottle is very important. Being dehydrated sucks.

>>1022668
Why are you going 630mm rims when 622mm is standard?

I think the Paselas are the only worthwhile 27" tires right now.

>>1022650
Just be careful buying expensive bikes used, learn how to check for a damaged frame or wheel.
>>
>>1022675
person i was replying to specifically said road bike
>>
>>1022578
I'd recommend the Fuji certainly; my 2012 is the comfiest bike I own - I've a few other touring rigs besides.
Look around for a used one - they do turn up. Make sure it fits, put a brooks saddle on it, some fenders maybe, and start racking up the miles.
>>
Currently looking at these 2, any aussies got other suggestions? mainly looking for endurance carbon frame with 105 groupset

https://www.bicyclesonline.com.au/polygon-helios-c6.0-carbon-road-bike

http://www.99bikes.com.au/merida-ride-4000-2016
>>
I got a bike in august, dont' know anything about bikes.

Some time ago the chain would occasionally jump off when I switched gears down a notch and then it stopped butt he switch-down would sometimes, seemingly at random get delayed an unpredictable amount of time and now the gear switching lives its own life, sometimes if gears up or down for no apparent reason.

is this something any of you recognize or will I have to take it to a shop?
>>
>>1022729
Did you buy it new from a shop? They'll usually tune it up for free the first time. If not, you'll need to learn how to adjust them or take it to a shop and pay. I recommend learning to wrench on your bike. You can do 80% of it with only a set of allen keys and screwdrivers.
>>
>>1022729
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-adjustment
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustment
Have fun
>>
>>1022729
if you bought the bike new or replaced the cables, then the likely culprit is cable stretch

this is normal and expected with new cables, about 1 month after they're run they need to be readjusted

your bike shop can do it for you, probably for a small fee. if you want to save money and learn how to do it yourself (which you should), then read sheldon brown and go to your nearest bike coop if you have questions
>>
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/vitus-bikes-zenium-sl-disc-road-bike-2016/rp-prod135399

Good for my first proper bike? People seem to recommend it a lot online, but I'd like to double check before I commit one and half grand.
>>
File: davezs.jpg (87KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
davezs.jpg
87KB, 800x600px
I am currently in the process of building something like pic related on the basis of a hardtail 26 frame.
I can get an older rock shox j3 from my father or buy a new rigid fork.
I would have to use a front mechanical disk and rear cantilever brakes mix because the frame/ fork are missing the respective mounting options.
Rigid fork would be canti front and rear.
The sus fork would be 500 g heavier.
Would I be stupid to use the rock shox in my build ?
>>
Are there any 700x25 tyres with studs?
If not what do you reccommend for winter tyres? Thanks
>>
>>1022767
Schwalbe Winter is available in 622x30. They're pretty slim and afaik the smallest studded tyre available. They're good tyres though. I can say from experience.
>>
>>1022758
Bretty gud, it's 35% off right now so... fuck it, go for it!
>>
Are road bikes easier to climb uphill with? Been a mountain biker all my life and I can't seem to get any leeway in going uphill.
>>
>>1022775
they're lighter, so there's less overall change in gravitational potential energy from you being on the bottom of the hill vs the top, so it will take less energy to get up it

however, depending on the groupo you may not have comfortable gears for really steep climbs

a road bike with a compact double and a decently wide cassette is ideal probably
>>
>>1022775
Learn how to use your gears, mountainhead.
>>
How fast can you reasonably expect to climb uphill as far as mph goes? Of course this depends on steepness but just give me an average.
>>
>>1022775
7 months ago there was an mtb fag that said off road climbs were less forgiving
>>
>>1022787
That's a very silly question you know
>>
>>1022787
Normally I like to pretend that there are no stupid questions and answer all of them nicely, but with this I'm not going to bother.

What the fuck man?

Like, what the hell are you after asking something like this?

Are you basically asking that are you good enough?

The answer to that is always no.
>>
>>1022787
Your physics instructor should hide his head in shame.

Your sustained power output shouldn't change much enough to matter. Figure it out from that.
>>
>>1022787
An average cyclist can hold a 30 mph average speed on sustained 12% grades. If you can't, consider yourself pathetic.

>>1022788
>>1022789
>>1022791
>>1022792
See, was that really so hard? Get a stupid question, give a stupid answer.
>>
>>1022788
he's probably a gondola-riding park rat.

technical climbs will fuck you right out.
>>
>>1022767
No
>>1022764
if you ride hard putting a rigid fork on would be stupid
>>
>>1022787
I'll try and be helpful.

Go here
http://www.bikecalculator.com/

Punch in your weight and power, then play around with the gradient to see how it affects your speed.
>>
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/5855071278.html
I saw this while keeping an eye out for a friend's stolen bike, and I really want the shifters.
I'm not super familiar with how shifters work, but I'm guessing since my bike is 11-28T, 9-speed and 50/34T, I'd have to swap the entire gearset and cassette? I'd hate to lose my wider range for climbing, but I really want Campy shifters.
>>
File: grade-alloy-105.png (100KB, 880x570px) Image search: [Google]
grade-alloy-105.png
100KB, 880x570px
>>1022682
Packed Gravel trails. It's not very rough at all. I'm really liking that other guys suggestion of a GT Grade with a rack. I'm not planning on going cross country with it so idk of a touring is necessary. My area is very hilly (WV) but i typically ride on a flat trail by a river.

If i get the Grade should i get the Tiagra, Claris, or Sora?
>>
>>1022799
Or the 105? I don't know anything about these groupsets and I'd rather not spend another $100 if i don't have to
>>
From which website do you buy your cycling equipment in US?

My brother will be in US for a while and Amazon seems kinda expensive.
>>
>>1022800
Dura ace, only option
>>
>>1022805
That's not an option
>>
>>1022801
Chain reaction cycles
>>
>>1022800
105. Unless you really don't want the extra gear. But when you have a huge cassette like that you usually want as many as possible. It's flatlanders that have high gears and low gears they never use.
>>
I've got a Sakae CR Double crankset, 52/42 tooth as a "gift" and i have a hard time to determine the required spindle length for the bottom bracket. Does anybody know what i would need?
>>
>>1022617
I think you are delusional, most strava bicycle enthusiasts do maybe 150-200km a week. for someone who hasnt bicycled in 8 years and wants to commute on one with maybe regular day clothing on a commuter bike doing 400km is completely mad. I wouldnt be suprised if the anon who asked the question wants to kill themselves after a week if they do end up doing it.
>>
>>1022829
A few minutes in google says that crank originally came with an asymmetric spindle that you're probably never going to find (118mm marked 3P), so the alternative is use a 122.5 bottom bracket, or a 118 with a 1mm spacer on the fixed cup side of your BB.
>>
Are hybrid bikes just a meme or could I actually use one on trails? The single track in my area is pretty damn flat although there are some small canyons.
>>
>>1022835
>are hybrids a meme?
yes, buy something a bit more specialized used for less money
>can i use on on trails
you can use anything other than a proper road bike on trails, anyone who thinks you need FS for anything other than intense downhill stuff is a pussy
>>
How do I buy big sized cyclist clothing? I weigh 307 and have a stocky torso.

Any good brands I should watch for?
>>
>>1022837
I dont think there are many cloths that fit you tbqh.
>Any good brands?
yea castelli is a good brand, but guess what? a jersey from them is 200 dollars, Its just clothing, you can get stuff from amazon for 30 dollars and it will do the job perfectly fine.
AND DID YOU READ THE FUCKING FITSTICKY YET?
>>
>>1022838
I did. Honestly all the fitsticky is stuff I know. I dedicated myself to the discipline last week though. Already losing weight + gaining more definition now.
>>
>>1022837
Can't say I have any experience with them myself, but I have a friend about your size who really likes Aerotech design stuff.

>>1022835
The problem with "hybrid" bikes is that term is applied to everything from bikes that are practically cruisers that are terrible off-road to all-round bikes that will do what you want just fine, to flat-bar road bikes that will also be mediocre off-road.
>>
>>1022835
What >>1022841 said. Post a photo of the hybrid you intend on getting and we can better answer your question.
>>
>>1022840
Here let me write up a specialized plan for you,
3x5 Fork put downs
3x5 Plate pushaways
4xF junkfood throwaways

Hopefully getting into cycling this quickly and getting healthy doesnt burn you out as what happens to other fat people. It overwhelms them and they revert to there old ways.
>>
File: bike.jpg (31KB, 440x275px) Image search: [Google]
bike.jpg
31KB, 440x275px
>>1022842
This is the bike I was looking at, one of the workers at the store recommended it to me.

https://www.rei.com/product/883667/ghost-panamao-x-4-bike-2016
>>
>>1022843
I am having fun with calorie count apps that let's me get a perspective on calories I took in. I used to do maybe 4-5000 calories a day and now it's below 2500 a day. Calorie counting is like playing a game where my fitness is the reward.

I don't think I will quit anytime soon. I always loved cycling and always wanted to do this for sport. And I always work hard in the gym despite my eating habits. I look forward to improving a lot. 100 pounds loss is my goal. Probably getting there in 2 years.
>>
>>1022845
psshh, just take DNP or do PSMF
>>
>>1022846
I hear DNP is potentially dangerous and I already do fast for half a day every day. I will look into keto though. I never liked carbs much anyway
>>
>>1022844
It'll do alright off road, dependant on the tyres (you may want to go for something more off road oriented (look at tyres marketed as "CX" as it has 700c wheels).

That bike is fairly similar to a hardtail mountain bike, it just has skinny tyres and a shorter travel fork. The tyres will limit you off road when it comes to roots and rocks as there's a greater chance of getting pinch flats, but if you're riding smooth stuff it'll be okay.
>>
>>1022847
>I never liked carbs much anyway
the 300lbs on the scale say otherwise, you know pastries count as a carb right? sugar is also a carb.
>>
>>1022850
So assuming I get some more appropriate tyres, could I do more rooty/rocky trails as well? I don't plan on doing anything super intense either, but like you mentioned I want to avoid getting flats.
>>
>>1022844
That will work okay on really easy trails - but if I had to get one of the hybrids listed on REI's website in that price range/category, it'd be a Cannondale Quick 3 because there's not much sense in getting a bike with suspension at that price point.
>>
>>1022852
I know. I just got started on a diet.
>>
>>1022853
The stock tires on that bike will be fine for hardpacked gravel, but if you're going to ride fast through sand and on twisty trails you'll want tires with small knobs.
>>
>>1022853
For roots and rocks you need larger tyres. I don't know if you'd be able to go much larger than what's on that bike due to the width clearance, getting a pair of 26" wheels may help in that regard but by that point you may as well have just gotten a smaller wheeled mountain bike.
>>
What is a good balaclava for winter?

Anyone with an experience with one?
>>
>>1022859
I have two that I use depending on conditions (one short, one that's longer and doubles as a neck gaiter) but they're not anything special, just generic fleece balaclavas you can find at any sporting goods store.

Should add that during the winter I always wear a wool cap with ear flaps, and add a balaclava (and ski goggles) as necessary.
>>
whats the deal with surly bikes? are there any other options?
>>
>>1022865
Ski Glasses can fit over glasses right?

Also, don't they fog over with balaclavas?
>>
>>1022871
Overpriced and overweight, why don't you start by telling us what kind of bike you are talking about?
>>
>>1022877
i guess something like a non pavement touring bike
>>
>>1022879
Look at fuji touring
>>
>>1022875
1. Depends on the goggles - I have to wear eyeglasses, so I got ski goggles designed to fit over them.
2. Fogging can be an issue, but it's not too hard to deal with/prevent until temperatures drop below zero (f) and you have to keep your face completely covered at all times to avoid frostbite. Where I live that doesn't happen very often, so when it does I just tolerate the fogging and slow down to minimize the problem, but people who ride year-round in places like Minnesota will wear paint respirators under their balaclavas to allow for exhalation without fogging.
>>
Is it okay take up a lane in narrow streets?
>>
>>1022890
I am in NYC so it shouldn't dip that much into freezing territory beyond a week or two. I was wondering if balaclavas are made of the same material as Neck Gaiters?
>>
>>1022919
Depends on where you are and what the law is but most often yes.
>>
>>1022875
Get goggles with double lenses
They work better to prevent fogging
I never actually had mine fog over
>>
I am looking for a good guide on how to replace shifters on a bike. Any help?
>>
>>1022929
What kind of shifters?
http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/shift-levers-shifters
>>
>>1022929
Which one do you need?

https://www.youtube.com/user/shyflirt1/search?query=shifter
>>
>>1022923
Any good ones that don't cost an arm and a leg?
>>
So I got a laundry list of stuff for my first road bike:

- Cycling pants/bib
- Helmet
- Water bottle holder
- Bell (required in my city)
- Cycling shirt
- Bike lights
- Calorie counter computer

Anything else I could add? I was wondering if it's worth getting a Garmin GPS unit
>>
>>1023002
Shoes/cleats

basic emergency repair stuff

sunglasses
gloves

Ass lubricant.
>>
>>1023002
Spare tube
Pump or nitrogen canisters
Lights?
Water bottle
>>
How do you keep your mettle when commuting? I do fine on four-lane roads because I can get to the right lane and everyone just passes me, but I hate 2-lane roads because they spawn dangerous passing/angry honking and yelling, and the honking/yelling/passing is scary enough for me that it makes me actively not want to commute by bike.
>>
>>1023011
do you live in an open carry state?
>>
>>1023011
This sounds pretentious as hell, and it is, but when someone is rude to me on the road I say part of the Lord's Prayer to myself and focus on that instead of being afraid or angry:
>and forgive us our sins, as we forgive those who trespass against us
Truth is, most people who honk and get upset aren't really upset with you - it's just that they aren't used to seeing cyclists, and lots of people default to an angry reaction when they're confronted with something unexpected. Chances are good that you've done the same thing yourself without consciously meaning to (I know I have). So don't take it personal, just forgive and move on as if nothing ever happened.
>>
>>1023008
>Ass lubricant.
Is this a thing? What do you use? KY jelly?
>>
>>1023025
http://www.lucaspapaw.com.au
>>
>>1023027
I'll have to check it out. You might have just literally saved my ass.
>>
>>1022838
Sorry but does this board even have a sticky?
>>
>>1023037
no, In past threads many people contemplated about making a pastebin for /BQG/ and /BBG/ but that never happened as we are all too lazy.
>>
>>1023037
Is this /fit/?
>>
I just replaced my chain, and the new one is making a loud racheting sound every time I crank.

From what I can tell, it seems like the new chain is spaced smaller than my freewheel. Each of the chain links is getting caught for a moment on top of the tooth, then snapping down into the grove, making the sound. I tried tightening and loosing it, but same thing still happens.

I thought chains were all meant to be the same size? Do I just need to ride loud-ass bike until it stretches the chain to fit?
>>
>>1023061
New chain on used cogs?
>>
>>1023064
Just a single speed freewheel. Been working fine for years until now
>>
>>1023064
But yes, new chain only.
>>
>>1023066
>>1023067
unless you're doing something goofy like trying to use a narrow 11-sp chain on a SS cog, the problem is that the teeth on the cog are worn out and are wider apart than the 1/2" length of each chainlink.
>>
>>1023068
>unless you're doing something goofy like trying to use a narrow 11-sp chain on a SS cog
That's most likely what's going on. Maybe not a 11sp chain, but any multi-speed chain will be too narrow for a standard cheapo SS cog.
>>
>>1023068
Asked for a SS chain when I bought it. Any way to check besides measuring? It was a small shop so he just sold it to me off the spool, no packaging.
>>
Can anyone recommend a super durable cross tire? Thinking like conti gatorskins. Just got a Caadx and the schawlbs that came on it were garbage, as expected
>>
>>1023070
in that case you just need to replace your freewheel, no doubt about it
>>
>>1023070
Can you post a picture of the chain wrapped around the cog?
>>
As long as we're talking chain, my old 3x8 says "for narrow chain only" is that distinct from a normal 7/8 speed chain?
>>
File: image.png (1MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1MB, 750x1334px
Can anyone identify the saddle bag?
>>
>>1023011
eh, you get used to it. after you get hit a few times, you cease giving a shit about a cages proximity as long as they aren't hitting you, and you really don't give a fuck about their opinions or loud noises at that point

HTFU

>>1023016
>I say part of the Lord's Prayer to myself and focus on that instead of being afraid or angry:

not a bad strategy. if you're secular, you could sub the "fear is the mindkiller" bit from Dune.
>>
>>1023083
wish i had a slate, the concept seems fun
>>
>>1022281
can confirm, I messed around with a walmart bike's wheelset on my daily rider and within 5 weeks I was able to spin my feet forwards on the pedals as easily as I could spin them backwards, cassette was fucked.
>>
my bike seat post wont budge, what do.
>>
>>1023110
Depends what your frame is made of, and what your seatpost is made of. Start by reading the Sheldon Brown article on stuck seatposts.
>>
>>1022249
I'm a little over 6'. the size char calculator says i should be getting a bike into the 60 something cm shit.

however I am in between a bike of 50cm and a 55 cm, does this really affects? what does cm size is supposed to mean, is it the size to the pedals and seat,? should I bet getting any of these?
>>
>>1023124

50 and 55 is to small. get at least 58. It's the length of the seat tube btw.
>>
>>1023126
But I can't seem to find a bike that has those specifications.

wtf am I supposed to do in these cases?

I was really digging the 50cm look
>>
>>1023126
Also I'm>>1023127
Coudl you guys recommend a online shop that ships to my countryhole?

I really want to get a bike.
>>
>>1023132
What countryhole?
>>
>>1023137
Spicland
>>
>>1023084
>"fear is the mindkiller" bit from Dune.
Based Dunebro, I actually do this since I was a neet with bad anxiety but I wanted to ride to badly that I started reciting the one from the mini-series, it flows better, and it really allowed me to ride.

>I will not fear. Fear is the mind killer. I will face my fear. I will let it pass through me. When the fear has gone, there shall be nothing. Only I will remain.
>>
>>1023138
What is the proper, legitimate, non-meme name of your country?

FFS you don't make this easy.
>>
What are the chances that a used bike that retails for $2000+ I get off, say, craigslist or ebay, is stolen or even counterfeited?
>>
>>1023140
Mexico.
>>
>>1023162
How much is it being sold for?
Is there any documentation with it?
Are the pictures decent, or non-existent?
Is it being sold in a shit area?
Does the bike match something on a local stolen register?
>>
>>1023162
counterfeit on ebay - perhaps
stolen on craigslist - maybe...
just buy from reputable sellers, ask lots of questions, use your judgement etc... there's deals to be had certainly but if it looks too good to be true...
>>
>>1023127
get a 50cm so when you get it you realise how much of a fuckwit you are since they are meant for fucking midget people and you are 6'
>>
>>1023170
>wanting him to go full kimo
>>
What's some 28" winter tires that's 28c or below?

I realise it wont grip on ice but, I want something better than the slicks I have right now.

Planning on running a studded tire in front but I dont have clearance for it in the back
>>
I'm 6 foot tall, 115kgs, should I not get a Carbon Fiber frame due to my weight? Would alu frame and carbon fork be ok?
>>
>>1023174
alu or steel is generally fine.

why do you think you need a carbon frame? you're clearly not a competitive racer. not trying to be a dick, just trying to save you a couple grand.
>>
File: 1347479123356.jpg (35KB, 525x481px) Image search: [Google]
1347479123356.jpg
35KB, 525x481px
>>1023016
>this entire post
my mans
>>
>>1023173
Grand Prix 4 Season? The only grippier clincher slick i've ridden are open paves which have shit puncture resistance.
>>
>>1023178
Reading forums, people seem to think they are nicer to ride and have less vibration
>>
>>1023190
That's the one I've been looking on but I was wordering if anyone had experience with something else (or those ones for that matter)
>>
>>1023199
Panaracer gravel king maybe. They do a file tread and a knobblier version, although I think only the file tread is 28c. Touring tyres have a bit more tread to them too, depending on what kind of winter conditions you're riding they might work. No skinny tyre will be good at snow or ice though.
>>
>>1023191
>vibrations
steel it is, then. might i direct you to your local Surly dealer, or perhaps you wanted to fit a gaspipe BSO with a 105 group and modern brakes?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzlkk49qo4E

how advanced and difficult shloud i be to build my own bike?
>>
File: 1478098416009.jpg (141KB, 920x921px) Image search: [Google]
1478098416009.jpg
141KB, 920x921px
Well i can't find a GT Grade Alloy 105 anywhere. The only thing for sale is the Grade Claris for $700 shipped. I'm just worried I'll regret only having those 8 gears (12-28) in such a hilly area.
Could I replace the rear cassette with any 8 speed cassete specifically a 11-32 without messing anything up?
>>
>>1023224
I don't know but those bikes are cool as shit and make me want to buy another bike
>>
>>1023224
Another question. Could i replace the rear shifter, rear cassette, and rear derailleur with a 10 or 11 speed one in the future if necessary?
>>
>>1023225
Ikr It will be my first real bike and it's so perfect for the riding I do
>>
>>1023222
built my first bike up from a frame a couple months ago. It's real easy if you're not mechanically retarded. Prepare to have to buy a load of tools if you don't have them already though: BB tool, cable cutters, maybe a pin spanner and lockring tool.

If you're gonna do something dumb like a 'fixed conversion' you'll probably fuck up the chainline.
>>
>>1023233
what is a fixed conversion?

please post bike
>>
>>1023227
>>1023224
You'll need a long-cage derailleur to run an 11-32. Dunno what range a stock claris can handle but I doubt it's rated for 11-32.

You can technically swap 10-speed stuff on there, it's probably a waste of cash though. The crankset will work but might feel a bit off. You'll have to check if your freehub body can fit a 10-speed cassette, I think modern shimano ones are 8-9-10 compatible but if it's some shitty OEM wheelset who knows.

>>1023234
Fixed conversion is turning a frame designed for gears into a fixed gear bike. Frames made for fixed gear have 120 spacing and geared has 125 or 130 depending on age. Fixed also has horizontal dropouts for chain tension which geared frames don't unless it's got those old campy forward facing ones. You'll need to think about BB axle length too to get the chainline you want since a track crank will be spaced differently to a double or triple.

http://www.pedalroom.com/bike/massi-mega-team-30537
This is my bike. Pretty straightforward build with period correct components so I didn't have to fuck about too much.
>>
File: 1371509329831.gif (1020KB, 400x229px) Image search: [Google]
1371509329831.gif
1020KB, 400x229px
>>1023222
>riding filip flop hub freewheel side without back brake in traffic
>>
>>1023235
There is a long cage and short cage version of the rear derailleur and the website doesn't specify which comes on the bike. I guess i could contact support and ask.
The rear hub is a Formula 6 bolt disc sealed casette 32h.
>>
>>1023238
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5W1Z23wPg
>>
This board is pretty slow do you guys have any other websites, blogs or you tubers to recommend? mainly do road cycling for committing but I don't mind the main concern too much just need to learn some more
>>
>>1023330
Sheldon Brown
Park Tool repair blog
>>
>>1023330
>This board is pretty slow
Woah, slow down there partner, take in the scenery and breathe it all in.

We're the comfiest board, I'm pretty sure a fellow pepe-poster appreciates that, and boy howdy do we try to help more than we troll.

I've learned SO much from RJ the Bike Guy, he can make 45 minute video on his bike tool collection comfy as fuck to watch. Great long videos with good angles and explanations on how he does things, check him out here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/shyflirt1/
>>
File: rare pepe.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
rare pepe.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1023330
>>1023333
thanks guys have my engraved pepe
>>
One of these cunts came off when I was adjusting something and the cable unwound right up to where it's tightened to, I was late for work so it's just taped up at the moment, should I get a new cable or can I just get a new end piece? Do I need a tool to do that?
>>
>>1023368
Yeah, get a bag of caps (they're pretty cheap) and a crimper if you dont already have one lying around
>>
>>1023368
Its fine, just go to your LBS they will quite often give them to you for free, you can very carefully crimp them with side cutters but obviously dont squeeze too tight.
>>
File: WP_20161103_17_44_41_Pro.jpg (2MB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161103_17_44_41_Pro.jpg
2MB, 3552x2000px
Would you replace these Schwalbeâ„¢ Professional bike tyres just yet?
About 5000 km on them I think, looking fairly square and a bunch of small nicks and things.
>>
>>1023221
If you had a point, I didn't see it through all that snark.
>>
I'm at a bit of a loss with buying cycling bibs because my waist-band is right at the point between higher or lower ones.

Should I opt for my waist and higher or my waist and lower?
>>
>>1023428
Size-wise, you mean? The advice for most cycle clothing is usually size up, but lyrca is pretty stretchy so it's not going to be a major disaster.
>>
>>1023429

So my size is okay if it's my waist and above?

My material will be 88% Polyester 12% Spandex
>>
>>1023426
Yes definitely. You'll be surprised how thin they feel when you take them off.
>>
>>1023430
Go try some on?
>>
>>1023432
I can't. My size is online store's only.
>>
>>1023429
>The advice for most cycle clothing is usually size up
depends on the company and the desired fit

troy lee designs and endura clothing usually run a more race-type fit than something like dakine or alpinestars. speccy, fox and pearl izumi are usually true-to-sizing and offer race, club and casual fits in most of their lines.
i'd size true (or down if you're a rail) for bibs and base-layers, though. you want them shits to be snug and loose lycra is most un-comfy.

>>1023435
i yolo all my kit off amazon because my lbs doesn't carry things i want to buy (except those endura mtb baggy shorts. those things fuckin rule.)
>>
File: 000.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1023072
How's this look? Please don't bully my beater bike.
>>
>>1022879

off road touring is best with any good 29er and rigid fork setup.
>>
Either of these bikes worth picking up?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/spo/5838806835.html

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/ssd/bik/5814424269.html
>>
>>1023527
Second one's okay, perhaps a tad overpriced (I'm not American, just converted it to my currency) for what it is but it's fairly new at least. If you're happy to pay that much it's not a terrible choice.
>>
File: prison.png (275KB, 340x451px) Image search: [Google]
prison.png
275KB, 340x451px
Hey there. I'm basically a complete novice to bikes in general and only fucking learned to ride one this past month after years of childhood neglect. I'm fucking 22.

Do you guys have a board-approved guide or something so I can stop feeling such shame?
I'm also quite enjoying this shit.
>>
>>1023541
Read the sticky.
>>
File: ss+(2016-11-03+at+06.56.04).jpg (81KB, 585x458px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-11-03+at+06.56.04).jpg
81KB, 585x458px
>>1023543
This board has a sticky? I don't see it, and I can see the stickies in other boards. Is something wrong?
>>
imma bout to pull the trigger on this fine piece of dentistry

https://saginaw.craigslist.org/bik/5810034847.html
>those pedals
kek
>>
>>1023541
LURK MOAR
>>
>>1023541
You don't have to do that kid shit where you take the pedals off and treat it like a balance bike, that's just dumb and if you can fucking walk and run then you should be able to balance on a bike.

Read this, watch the videos and use it as a starting point to just pedal.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/starting.html
>>
>>1023545
Na m8 it was a joke about ho this kind of posts are answered thst way, /n is kind of new, we don't have a sticky yet, this is slow but comfy and nice.
>>
>>1023549
Oh I'm already riding like a normal person would, I didn't do any of that shit, I just kept trying with a regular bike until I could do it.

But I don't have any experience really, let alone any technical knowledge about bikes.

Thanks, will do.

>>1023552
Ah, right, did you guys use to post in /asp/ or something?
>>
>>1023487
So it should be fine to get a bib at my waist size and down? The materials are stretchy, right? Though I wonder if I should get a size bigger in case I want to layer for winter
>>
>>1023553
>>1023549
>>1023541
just what are you even asking for

like you come here and simply declare you don't know anything, wth are we supposed to do with that information
>>
>>1023557
A general guide on bikes, which the other anon was already kind enough to provide me with.

Chill, man.
>>
>>1023558
Oh I misread your post when I linked that video page then, still helpful for starting/stopping.

I highly recommend these three sites, we'll never have a sticky but people always recommend:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
https://www.youtube.com/user/shyflirt1
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/

These three should have enough unless you got some special shit going on.
>>
>>1023558
What guide, did you read the sticky?
>>
I ran over some sort of road tar some other day that I can't remove with gasoline or WD40.

Right now it's pretty much hardened with some sand stuck to it.

Does anyone know how to get it off or is my frame eternally fucked?
>>
Drink Vodka while ride bicycle

Is safe? Is fun?
>>
>>1023588
Yes, very, is like water to me.
>>
>>1023578
How long did you soak the tar? Because that's the only thing I can imagine working in this case... if you can't get it off with a solvent I think you'll either have to leave it there, or physically break the tar chunks off and repaint the effected areas.
>>
I have a Shimano 105 5800 11speed road crank with a pressfit bottom bracket. Can I replace the crank with a FSA MegaExo crank and keep using the same bottom bracket?
>>
>>1023527
Both are shit.
If you want a cheap mountain bike from craigslist, get a 80s or 90s rigid. Cheap bikes with suspension are pure shit.
If you want a mountain bike with suspension, check pinkbike.com/buysell as that tends to be much better than Craigslist for finding modern used mountain bikes. Expect to pay like $1k
>>
>>1023594
You have HollowTech II
Read the comments of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYNLQkIlzJQ
Looks like it'll work but might be a tight fit

Also according to http://wheelsmfg.com/complete-crankset-bb-adapter-guide
MegaExo and HollowTech 2 use the same adapters in the same situations, making it appear they are cross-compatible

tl;dr It should work.
>>
>>1023555
Shorts>bibs
Aero Tech Designs SM010
>>1023546
>buying a BSO
>>
>>1023594
>>1023599
Just to confirm it will work. A buddy of mine has a Gravity crankset (part of FSA) that is MegaExo and we put it in a Hollowtech II bottom bracket. It was a tiny bit tighter compared to my Shimano crankset in a Shimano BB but didn't require a stupid amount of force to push the axle through.
>>
File: dash 460.jpg (14KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
dash 460.jpg
14KB, 480x480px
What bike headlights do you faggots use?
Just bought a pic related, used to have a old cygolite metro 550 and had it swiped so maybe having the little rubber holder will incentive me to take it off more often but idk bros.
>>
File: absolutelydisgusting.jpg (176KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
absolutelydisgusting.jpg
176KB, 480x360px
>>1023594
hahaha
HAHAHAHAHA
>>
Just order a pair of Shimano 105 5800 pedals to replace my old look keo plus from 2011. How much did I fuck up?
>>
>>1023611
Depends on what you need them for. No less than 300 lumens is tolerable. Lezyne and moon are the popular brands.

Anyone know if the brighter spot lights are rechargeable via USB like the rear light?
>>
So how do frames change from year to year? Would it be a good idea for me to buy a nice 2014 frame at a discount and fit it with current year componentry over buying a new bike whole?
>>
>>1023640
I think the price difference is negligible. I bought a new group set last year and put it on my frame from 2011. With new tyres, I think I may have saved about $400 over getting a whole new bike with the same group set.
>>
Which gear shift should I use to climb?

I hear I should do big back, small front.
>>
>>1023642
For real? I find it hard to believe that there's only a $400 price difference between a 2011 frame and a 2016 frame, assuming component prices are the same.
>>
>>1023643
You want to use a gear ratio that allows you climb by spinning the pedals, as opposed to mashing.
>>
>>1023644
I had to get the parts installed at my lbs. If I could do it myself, the savings would've been close to $700.
>>
>>1023646
What frame was it?
>>
>>1023647
Caad 8
>>
>>1023633
I mostly need it so cars can see me. I'm commuting to work on my meme machine and the first mile on my route goes through downtown ft.worth. I think this will work but the rubber holder seems flimsy for the price
>>
>>1023649
If you only need to be seen, there are other options. Check out the moon comet series.
>>
>>1023648
I love the Caad8, but I have a strange feeling that the potential savings on previous year higher-end frames will end up being more than what you got.
>>
>>1023651
I guess if you're going for the areo frames, it could be worth it.
>>
>>1023652
Reason I didn't buy a new bike was because mine was still in great condition. The Sora drivetrain needed to be upgraded.
>>
>>1023652

but the question remains, how drastic is the change between a 2014 aero frame and a 2016 one?
>>
>>1023656
I honestly don't know and doubt of some great significance, but if it were me and with the winter arriving, I could probably find some sweet deals on 2015 bikes.
>>
>>1023656
This question is so vague that any answer to it is meaningless unless you specify a brand and model.
>>
>>1023658
Alright, what happened to the S. Tarmac between 2014 and 2016?
>>
>>1023657
Always down for sweet deals, what's the good news?
>>
Sorry for a long post.

I've been using the same bike for 10+ years and earlier this year (June) I decided it needed some love (tubes were popping way too often and, well, over 10 years seems like a decent service time) so I went to some bicycle repair guy and he pretty much replaced every single mechanical part there was, including all cogs and chain.

Since then, more or less spontaneously, random chain links get stuck for no apparent reason.
By stuck I mean they will not "bend" the way they are meant to, instead skipping teeth on cogs when pedalling.
The only way to "fix" them is by manually applying force to the entire chain link by link to get them unstuck.

Now the "skipping" only hurts my acceleration a little but, but it's extremely infuriating due to an awful snap accompanying every skip and because of how often it happens (every full chain cycle when one link is stuck) and the fact that the "repairs" don't last.

No single link is faulty, they all just randomly decide to get stuck, sometimes several at the same time, no matter the weather, hour or moon phase.

Yes I've been to the repairman complaining about it thrice, which revealed what the issue was and also learnt me the way to "repair" it, which is the aforementioned manual unstucking of links followed by applying lubricant.

The issue is - that ain't helping. Sure, they get unstuck and lubed-up *for now*, but an hour or two later (not even joking; it won't last a single goddamn day), at random point during a trip some link gets stuck anyway and drives me insane regardless of whether I did the "fix" or not. This plus the fact that the whole thing is extremely infuriating in practice is driving me nuts.

Scouring the internets only led me to temporary solutions, much akin to the repairman's "fixing".

Right now I'm so mad at the whole deal that I'm ready to buy a new chain; however I don't even know if that's even going to work, so:
1. Can this be *really* fixed?
2. Will replacing the chain fix it?
>>
>>1023737
>No single link is faulty, they all just randomly decide to get stuck, sometimes several at the same time, no matter the weather, hour or moon phase.
>Yes I've been to the repairman complaining about it thrice, which revealed what the issue was and also learnt me the way to "repair" it

Where ARE you from? This reads like some britbong trying to figure out how to speak to the plebs.

Sorry I can't help but my god, this reads like copypasta just because of word choice.
>>
>>1023737
Do you store your bike outdoors and exposed to moisture, or have you tried to clean your chain with a solvent? Because if you did either, that would explain why a relatively new chain would be lacking in lubricant.

Otherwise, I think you were sold a defective chain.
>>
>>1023745
I'm from Poland.
And yes, this probably isn't the most well versed explanation. Oh well, at least it gets the point across.
Too long sentences. I know, I know...

>>1023747
It's stored indoors in the garage.
Definitely not exposed to moisture.
No solvent cleaning as far as I can recall.

>Otherwise, I think you were sold a defective chain.
That's what I was thinking, just wanted to get a second opinion from you guys before jumping to conclusions.
Thanks a lot, it's really driving me crazy and I want to have it over with asap.
>>
>>1023599
>>1023604

thank you very much for the information. I'll give it a try then.

In case anybody is wondering why I was asking: FSA has a 46/30 road crankset which would be perfect for my type of riding.
>>
Whats the best quick release generally? Like under $50 if possible?

Mine keeps coming lose whenever I brake, so I'm borrowing a friends QR for now.
>>
>>1023558
basically, the best thing to do is just hang around and ask any questions you have about general riding and stuff here

for repair and maitnence advice, check out sheldonbrown.com, that man was a saint

if you don't already have a bike of your own, get one. for a beginner it really doesn't matter what you have, as long as it isn't a department store bike and everything on it works fine

the most important thing is just to ride as much as you can and have fun
>>
>>1023611
anything over 500 lumens is enough
i use lezyne 750 and keep it on the medium setting for night riding, plenty of light
>>
>>1023643
yes, big back small front gives you torque so you can spin fast instead of mashing

see:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html
>>
>>1023751
new chains aren't that expensive, and a fucked up chain can wear out your chainrings pretty quickly, so if this one doesn't start working better, just replace it

see sheldon for instructions on how to measure out proper length of the new chain, as getting that right is important
>>
File: 1.jpg (271KB, 1280x1706px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
271KB, 1280x1706px
What do I need to know when buying V-brake pads? I know that my bike uses metal post type brake pads. Is there anything else? Does it matter whether or not the posts are threaded or what shape the brake pads have? Some of the pads are longish and some of them are more tubby.

I googled for a brake guide but unless I'm blind none of them seem to guide new buyers through brands and terminology.

Pic related, from my bike.
>>
>>1023762
Shimano. They're cheap as fuck and super reliable, moreso than most expensive QR's.
>>
>>1023814
>What do I need to know when buying V-brake pads?
>Pic related, from my bike.
First of all how to install them. If that's your fork (can see any chainstays) then the pads are the wrong way around. Wear pattern also indicates they're installed backwards. The short end of the shoe should be pointing in the rims relative direction of travel. Meaning forwards on the bike.

Salmon Coolstops have a good reputation. The triple compounds are also nice.
>>
>>1023823
Did you not see the arrow and text that clearly says that the long end points forward? Also those are cartridge pads, if he put them the other way round then there's a chance the pad would slide out of the holder.
>>
File: fullofit.png (732KB, 600x633px) Image search: [Google]
fullofit.png
732KB, 600x633px
>>1023823
>mfw i see the screw
>mfw i realise shimano designed a brake shoe that cant be oriented properly
just fuck my brain up senpai
>>
>>1023825
>Did you not see the arrow and text that clearly says that the long end points forward?
I didn't enlarge the image at first, but I did now. And that means the shoe is completely drainbamaged. Who the fucking fuck designed that abortion?
>>
>>1023823
They're the right way. I've also pondered why the short end isn't pointing the other way. Oh well.

When I go on Koolstop I see a bunch of different brakes but I'm not sure which one is right for my bike.
>>
>>1023828
I did a little bit of research and it turns out the rears are normal and only the fronts are reversed. My best guess would be that it's intended to make the brake less grabby and give more modulation.
>>
File: smooth_post_coolstop.jpg (7KB, 200x175px) Image search: [Google]
smooth_post_coolstop.jpg
7KB, 200x175px
>>1023829
>They're the right way.
No, they're not. They're the wrong way. They may however have been designed wrong, but that doesn't make it right. It just means you should by new shoes and not just pads.

Anything like this: http://www.koolstop.com/english/v_typeholder.html
You need the smooth post version. The threaded post is pictured, but they're available in either. Smooth post is pic related.
>>
>>1023830
>My best guess would be that it's intended to make the brake less grabby and give more modulation.
It would do the opposite. That, and even wear, is why they're made asymmetrical in the first place. Throw that shit out or sell it to a travelling circus side show.
>>
>>1023831
Thanks d00d. Know any big EU shop that sells those?
>>
In italy, which italian road bike should i get?
>>
>>1023836
Bianchi Specialissima, obviously.
>>
File: nk1k-camouflage-grey.jpg (243KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
nk1k-camouflage-grey.jpg
243KB, 2000x1125px
>>1023836
Cipollini NK1K, obviously.
>>
File: nk1k-anthracite.jpg (238KB, 2000x1125px) Image search: [Google]
nk1k-anthracite.jpg
238KB, 2000x1125px
>>1023851
...with Campagnolo components, evidently.
>>
File: IMG_20161105_133214.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161105_133214.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
Is it possible to replace this style of fork with a modern one or am I stuck with this style?
>>
>>1023888
You're stuck with 1 inch threaded but there are plenty of styles available, there are even brand new forks still being made.

Nice stem btw, however it appears that it is over tightened. Are you sure your bars are the correct diameter for it?
>>
>>1023892
>Are you sure your bars are the correct diameter for it?
No, I'm not -- but I've been riding it about 10 years like that.

Thanks BTW, I think I'll go for a new bike, I want to change the gearing on it and get 11-speed while I'm at it, and this was the last thing I was considering before deciding to buy a new groupset or just a new bike with that groupset on it.
>>
>>1023855
Fuark i love aero bike aesthetics
>>
NEW THREAD
>>1023902
>>1023902
>>1023902
>>1023902
NEW THREAD
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.