[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /n/, im looking into getting a road bike for transport around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: p4pb6400171.jpg (313KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
p4pb6400171.jpg
313KB, 800x600px
Hey /n/, im looking into getting a road bike for transport around uni (and the city), and exercise.

Would a single speed be the best for me? If so, why? Would this benefit transportation and/or exercise?

And where could i purchase whatever type of bike i settle on that wont break my bank? (My budget is about $400-$500)
>>
>>1021203
>Would a single speed be the best for me? If so, why? Would this benefit transportation and/or exercise?

For most riders it is personal preference. You don't need gears for small/medium hills. For a road bike, you probably won't be off roading that much, so you won't need gears. Generally I stick to the 3rd ring for flat/mild hills, 2nd ring for moderate hills, and 1st ring for very steep or off-road hills. I can do basic off roading on a single speed cruiser bike anyway. Mountain bikes are surprisingly useful on commutes though. I find lots of off-road shortcuts. Are you trying to get a really good workout? You will pedal faster on a 1 speed bike. I'm not sure if that gives you more cardio or not.
>>
>>1021354
Not looming for a crazy intense workout as of now. The exercise i would plan to get with it would be like a 4-5 hour ride.

Ive been doing some research and found this:
http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fixie-record-dropbar-trackbikes.htm

What are your thoughts?
>>
>>1021363
If you're just getting started in road cycling, I would personally recommend getting a bike with multiple gears. There's no reason you couldn't be very happy with a singlespeed for longer rides, if you lived somewhere flat, or as if the other anon said, that was your personal preference - but if you've never ridden a road bike before, having variable gears will really help you as you start building fitness and getting used to a new kind of riding.

With a $4-500 budget, I'd be looking at used road bikes (preferably ones refurbished by a local bike shop), and I wouldn't bother with anything from BD (they're only good deals if you already have the tools and knowledge to assemble and fit the bike properly).
>>
>>1021363
>The exercise i would plan to get with it would be like a 4-5 hour ride

Good luck with that.
>>
>>1021203

I personaly wouldn't get the motobecane.
I'd get something use and I'd get gears.

you can do better for that price and using your full price range you can get something quite allright.
If you must buy new, buy a triban 500 / 520 or even the 520 flatbar version.

however, I'd really buy used.
you don't really know what you want in a bike.
buy something used for 200 and get something you like later once you know what you like.

If you want that fixie cred get a used one. here in germany they are declining heavily in popularity and so are the used prices.
>>
Are gears upgreadable? If so are they expensive? What i am trying to say is for example y get a good price on a sigle speed bike yet later i find the lack of speed troublesome in my rides o I decide to upgrade it into a 3 speed and theb a 10 or somerhing like that. Is this posible?
>>
>>1021433
>>1021383
Thanks for the advice. Ill defs look into getting a used :)
>>
>>1021489
A singlespeed like the BD model you linked to, you would not be able to convert that to variable gearing later. But if you go looking for used bikes it's pretty common to find road bikes that have been converted to single-speed, in which case you could conceivably convert them back.
>>
>>1021497.
thabk ouso much for your reply,. Reason being i was asking this isthey sell thst same bike but with different gears, i have contacted some shops in my country that sell hand made bikes and they charge around a 100 bucks extta if you want to add 7 speeds mechanism,. I would buy from them but they have slow crafting and shipping. That is why i was do curious about the possibilty of first trying a single speed and if having trouble then upgrade., i guess is easier to get used to a medioum gear for a while as if that was my single speed and if not getting used start shifting as required. Gg i probably will have to wait so they can sell the 7 speed version id like.
>>
>>1021363
>http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fixie-record-dropbar-trackbikes.htm

I would get the flat bar bike that looks just as good and cheaper. But this one looks good if drops are a must. As long as you have ridden geared and single speed bikes and know what you like, then go ahead.

>>1021383
>having variable gears will really help you as you start building fitness and getting used to a new kind of riding.

This. I wouldn't discourage single speeding based on this though. When I bought a SS cruiser back in 2013 I thought it was worthless on hills. I mountain biked like crazy starting about a year ago and the cruiser is a lot better with stronger legs. If you force yourself to ride single speed you might actually build muscle rather quickly, but probably even more if you go high on a geared bike.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.