[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to make a practical bike and parts of that includes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

File: slap it on there.jpg (38KB, 500x396px) Image search: [Google]
slap it on there.jpg
38KB, 500x396px
I'm trying to make a practical bike and parts of that includes carrying capacity. I thought about getting a basket and then I saw people using these crates

Anyone got any experience with them and other than aesthetics are there any downsides
>>
buy a fucking car or use the metro
>>
>>1019725

Costs more

Not like I'm moving house by bike I just want easier and fewer grocery trips and be able to travel without my backpack on due to how sweaty I am when I get where I'm going
>>
Nah, they're great. Just make sure it's firmly attached to your rack and you're good to go. It will break after some time though, good thing they're everywhere and for free
>>
>>1019730

For free, you say? I've never seen one other than on sale or with an occasional food delivery driver. The delivery guys aren't exactly giving them away and any others are already broken beyond repair
>>
Crates are limiting unless you just want to make the occasional store run for small items or a beer run. Find a crate, zip-tie it down and see if it's enough, that's pretty much the way I did it but I found that I wanted more so I went with these plus the liner for my grocery shopping bike.

http://waldsports.com/index.cfm/store/rear-baskets/582-rear-folding-basket/

You could also get panniers and skip the basket altogether which is what I do for the bike I use to commute with. It's just trial and error until you find the perfect set up for yourself.
>>
>>1019733
You can find them for free, I've gotten some from the local elementary school when they had an overstock and where giving milk cartons away.
They do have a warning on the side about a fine if you use them but you'll hardly ever get hassled unless the cops have absolutely nothing to do like these fucks:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/01/florida-man-behind-bars-for-having-milk-crate.html
>>
>>1019737

I'm in the UK though
>>
>>1019740
Well if there aren't any laws against it or fines then feel free to grab whatever crate you can find. Office supply stores have decent crates too but the point of using one is to not waste any more money than you have to.
Best of luck britbong
>>
File: 41SretzDxsL.jpg (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
41SretzDxsL.jpg
31KB, 500x500px
>>1019734

how are they limiting? Rather than carrying things on my back or creatively strapping things to my rack I chuck them in a basket and throw this (pictured) on top

The basket in the OP has a 25L capacity more than my backpack by 5 litres and far more rigid and upright
>>
>>1019740
Just go look around store dumpsters, there's bound to be some
>>
>>1019742
That's what I used to use to keep stuff in my crate too, I just meant they are limiting in the way that you only try one way like everyone else and forget about the other options. Sorry bub English ain't my first language, maybe I worded it wrong but don't you think that too many people just strap crates on and forget about other ways?
Sometimes I carry a stack of pizzas on my rear rack and other stuff in the baskets. I can't imagine the pizza boxes fitting inside the crate I was using before, I'd have to put them on top and they'd be too high.
>>
>>1019747

Noted but my current way isn't working so I'll try this. I can just cut the ties and try something else if this doesn't work and reattach it just as easily
>>
File: IMG_1200.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1200.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Here's mine. May not hold a lot, but keeps things dry.
>>
>>1019774
>MAÏ€
Force applied over a semicircle?
>>
>>1019774
That's pretty dope, got a build log?

I need to hit up the surplus store near me, IIRC they had some nice messenger type bags I can turn into panniers.
>>
>>1019737
Jesus Christ.. poor Timmy Troller!
>>
File: IMG_1177.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1177.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1019796
I don't recall all that was spent, only that the cans cost the most. I had an aluminum rack, but I can only weld steel.
>>
File: IMG_1186.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1186.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1019796
So I custom built from scratch. I used pieces of flat bar with threaded rod on the inside of the cans to bolt onto the rack. Steel tube to space the cans away from the rack so the lids have clearance. The diamond plate fender was a last minute finishing touch from stock laying around.
>>
File: IMG_1201.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1201.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1019799
For kicks and because I had some steel left over, custom bottle holder.
>>
>>1019798
God damn that welding looks shotty. Just use oxyacetylene.
>>
File: 3568287.jpg (17KB, 250x187px) Image search: [Google]
3568287.jpg
17KB, 250x187px
Bike bucket are common here in Portland. Attach like panniers and waterproof.
http://thebikebucket.com/index.html
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.portlandoregon.gov/transportation/article/181468&ved=0ahUKEwjW-NPhqOzPAhUHllQKHTWZC3AQFgg2MAI&usg=AFQjCNEoyPeRY-busjMpNtJyfzCumQOQXg&sig2=TC-xhcqpA6CR2yrSmOk57w
>>
>>1019734
Except panniers cost like $70 each new. A crate will only set you back $5 at most
>>
File: basket crate.png (262KB, 862x361px) Image search: [Google]
basket crate.png
262KB, 862x361px
I've done my research and whilst the plastic crate in the OP is good it's too costly for what it is so my decision is between these two items pictured
>>
>>1019801
how i walded stahl
>>
>>1019737
>http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/01/florida-man-behind-bars-for-having-milk-crate.html
lmao

land of the free everyone
>>
>>1019802
>>1019923
>criticfags
you two have some sad issues.
>>
>>1019723
USE A BASKET
Then, consider adding extra capacity with this crate you posted.
>>
>>1019774
I have a .50 cal ammo crate, but it opens widthwise unlike yours. I want one of those ones for a front rack.
>>
>>1019889
so its basically an old tub of cat litter with some handles? I can make one for $5 considering I'm buying kitty litter regardless
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.