[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tell me /n/. To what distance of travel, or location of riding

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 9

File: 30530A_800x800.jpg (107KB, 643x800px) Image search: [Google]
30530A_800x800.jpg
107KB, 643x800px
Tell me /n/. To what distance of travel, or location of riding is your limit for when you should wear a helmet. If I never see any cars where I ride, and I'm not in any danger of smacking my head on the pavement, do I still have to carry my helmet to class or can I live on the edge and ride with an unprotected melon?
>>
>>1019621
Is it required by law in your area? If not you never need to wear it but can I'd you would like
>>
>>1019621
On my country if you leave city/village roads, you must wear a helmet, and if you are 16 or under 16, you must wear a helmet always.
I like wearing helmets, they give me fred status and makes me different to the plebs.
>>
>>1019621
Broadly speaking, its totally up to you. If you want to risk your head you can, but I don't see any good reason not to wear a helmet.
>>
File: helpermonkey.jpg (28KB, 361x200px) Image search: [Google]
helpermonkey.jpg
28KB, 361x200px
i ride with a helmet and a helper monkey (with a monkey helmet)
>>
I wear a helmet when I
>Ride fast on my roadie through high traffic, fast streets
>Bomb down a mountain at 70km/h
>Ride at night
Every other case I don't wear it, I don't feel I'm risking myself enough to warrant it.
>>
>>1019621
You don't need cars or pavement to slam your head in a bike crash.
>>
>>1019621
If my route crosses a stop light or the road I'm on makes other roads have stop lights, I wear the helmet.
>>
File: longbikes_slipstream.jpg (143KB, 1200x742px) Image search: [Google]
longbikes_slipstream.jpg
143KB, 1200x742px
>>1019621
I used to wear a helmet all the time.
Then I got a rear-view mirror that mounted on the helmet, and realized that the rear-view mirror actually helped me avoid cars, and the helmet didn't.
So I stopped wearing the helmet and just got a mirror that clips onto my glasses.

A head-mount mirror allows you to see behind you all the time (normally) and allows you to see in two opposite directions at once.

A helmet helps you if you get hit, but it doesn't help prevent you from getting hit. A mirror does, so it's more important.

In places like the Netherlands people generally don't wear any helmets when casually riding, and studies done there have showed that making people wear helmets doesn't decrease injuries. Only good traffic measurement (bicycles avoiding getting hit by cars!) does that.

Plus: you need a helmet more on a normal upright bike.... On an upright bike, when you apply the brake too hard or when you hit a stationary object, you tend to flip over the handlebars and land on your head.
I have recumbent bikes, that can't flip over forward in a crash. The most common injuries in recumbent crashes is ankles, and abrasions to the legs, hips and hands.
If you crash on a recumbent, you crash feet-first. For that reason alone recumbents are far safer than upright bikes.

Pic related: the long-wheelbase, under-seat-steering form (like the Avatar 2000) is not hardly the fastest, but is said to be the safest bike to crash on.
In an impact, the rider just slides forward off the bike, feet-first.
Longbikes makes a current version but are pretty expensive, starting at like $2800. They're made very nicely however.
>>
>>1019694
Oh look, recumbentfag is back
>>
>>1019675
>force of impact rips the helmet off
holy fuk is he ded
>>
Situations when I wear a helmet:
>Streets that have car traffic, both in the city and the country
>Mountain biking/off road

Situations when I don't wear a helmet:
>Paved trail with no car traffic that's not super steep
>University campus
>>
>>1019665
>and a helper monkey (with a monkey helmet)
post pics, I need to see this pls
>>
>>1019675
Fuck. Joe Breeze is laughing at you fag. Gary Fisher too. And Charlie Kelly. All of them.
>>
Situations when I wear a helmet:
>All the time what the fuck is wrong with you?
Situations when I don't wear a helmet:
>Never. Fuck you.
>>
ATGATT
>>
>>1019621
I think we're all a little sick and tired of seeing these goddamned helmet threads. Wear one or don't, nobody should be wasting any time discussing this anymore.
>>
File: lehappyhelmetsalesmen.png (206KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
lehappyhelmetsalesmen.png
206KB, 900x600px
I literally feel a seething anger when i see someone wearing a helmet.
>>
Only time I don't wear one is when I ride down the isle inside at the LBS I work at cause I'm going like 3mph and it's inside so no cars.
When outside I always wear a helmet even if only going around the block cause I'm not a retard.
>>
I wear it when I go into town since the only way in is a bridge that has a 40mph limit, there is a small patch on the side that's blocked off but people have thrown shit at me so I just put on a lid to keep me from getting bonked and just leave it on in the city to make it easy. Otherwise I only wear my cycling cap since I have longer hair and it keeps it controlled and I don't like baseball caps, sick of seeing them on the podiums...
>>
When I dick around in front of my house I usually don't wear a helmet out of laziness(I probably should), but if I go anywhere I do.
>>
>>1019795
>since I have longer hair
Are you a femanon?

>only way into town is across a bridge
Where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>1019621
>commuting
No helmet.
>riding
Helmet.

>>1019694
>rear-view mirror actually helped me avoid cars
???
>>
File: IMG_4444.jpg (735KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4444.jpg
735KB, 1632x1224px
>>1019621
>and I'm not in any danger of smacking my head on the pavement

There's always a chance.

>A story of two cyclists

A friend of mine wrecked on a fast descent earlier this year. No cars involved, just some slippery leaves. Pictured: His helmet. If he hadn't been wearing a helmet, we'd have been scraping his brains off the ground. He got away with just bruises and a sore neck.

Another acquaintance of mine was leading a small group ride without a helmet when a dog ran out in front of him. Bounced his head against the ground while trying to avoid the dog, and he's been in the hospital for a week and a half now with a bleed in his brain.The doctors are worried that he may have permanently impaired brain function.

>To what distance of travel, or location of riding is your limit for when you should wear a helmet.

I always wear a helmet while mountain biking, or on group rides. I rarely (if ever) wear a helmet while riding my bike to work or to the grocery store - each is less than a mile away, along very low-traffic routes. If I'm going to be riding more than ~5-6 miles, I generally wear a helmet.
>>
>>1019820
>kask protone
that's a fucking expensive crash
>>
>>1019835
but preferable to the alternative, obviously
>>
File: monkeyfred.jpg (82KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
monkeyfred.jpg
82KB, 500x335px
>>1019738
>>
>>1019820
He slipped on leaves and you think he'd've died without a helmet? Is he made of fine china? Have you ever seen a Jackass movie? Do you realize his helmet is designed to smash like that? His skull isn't. You can't look at a broken helmet and then say well that's what his head would look like without the helmet. It's SUPPOSED TO CRUMBLE ON IMPACT. I can literally crush it with my hands. It's styrofoam and the thinnest plastic available.
>>
>>1019864
thank you for making my day
>>
>>1019738
>>
>>1019621
Commuting, training, group rides or greenlaning at speed - helmet.
Cruising, chilling or visiting an event or more likely get health issues due to helmet - no helmet.

Basically, wear whenever i can, but don't get too anal about it, if it creates serious drawbacks. Just avoid being in traffic and don't risk it.
>>
>commuting
baseball cap helmet in the summer/spring/autumn
balaclava helmet in the winter

>touring
high quality straw hat helmet for additional sun protection
sometimes baseball cap helmet
>>
>>1019621
I would wear one no matter what. Are you afraid of what you look like with a helmet on or something?

My brother was on a bike path, which will never have a single car on it, and smashed his head on the pavement something fierce.

The it had rained the day before and even though the pavement was dry the center line was slick. Just like that chick from the Olympics that crashed, the second he went over the line he slipped, lost control and crashed.

You never know when you will crash. Wear a fucking helmet.
>>
File: bent_family_tree03a.png (58KB, 1000x904px) Image search: [Google]
bent_family_tree03a.png
58KB, 1000x904px
>>1019695
>Oh look, recumbentfag is back
truth is like that
if you don't learn the first time, it's always willing to come around and try again sooner or later

ITT: "bicycle experts" who know nothing about recumbents, at all
>>
>>1019819
>rear-view mirror actually helped me avoid cars
Since that if you have a good rear-view mirror, you can always see if a car is coming up behind you, and how far over it is to you.

Arguing that bicyclists don't need rear-view mirrors is a lot like arguing that cars don't need rear-view mirrors.
You could get by without one in a car, but it would be a lot less convenient--and you'd be a lot more likely to get into accidents (since you wouldn't look behind you as much).
>>
Mandatory by law here. $25 fine if you're caught without.
>>
>>1019621
On average, the risk of head injury per km traveled when riding a bicycle with no helmet is about the same as for walking/running. Therefore you should only wear a helmet in risky situations that are significantly more dangerous than average, such as racing or downhill mountainbiking. Unless you're riding a recumbent, in which case a helmet is completely pointless.

>>1019820
>muh anecdotes
>muh inability to assess risk
>muh helmet/skull durability equivalence
fucking helmetfags
>>
Any time I go off campus I put on a helmet. I used to just go without a helmet but then I moved to the northeast from socal, drivers here are shit
>>
>>1020357
I kindly disagree. Or rather, I kindly not completely agree with you.
Cars _need_ mirrors because of several reasons, such as: the speed at which they travel, position the driver is in whilst driving and the infamous deadzones.
Cyclists _can_ use mirrors for convenience, but it is ultimately not necessary.

In traffic, the participants are not only responsible for their own vehicle, but also for the one in front of them (and the one behind and to the sides too). You don't enter the road expecting to run over everyone else inconveniencing you - a thing that some people seem to keep forgetting.
Whatever.
>>
townbike -> no helmet
roadbike or mountainbike -> helmet

If I go fast I wear a helmet, if I am just casually commuting I dont. This is the way everyone does it here.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.