[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /n/, just wondering if anyone has read this book? it sheds

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

hey /n/, just wondering if anyone has read this book? it sheds a lot of light of some of the unintuitive realities of transport. some highlights:

>After he had crunched the data, the numbers revealed an interesting set of patterns. The farther he rode from the
edge of the road, the less space cars gave him. When he wore a helmet, vehicles tended to pass closer than when
he did not wear a helmet. Passing drivers may have read the helmet as a sign that there was less risk for the
cyclist if they hit him. Or perhaps the helmet dehumanized the rider. Or—and more likely, according to Walker
—drivers read the helmet as a symbol of a more capable and predictable cyclist, one less likely to veer into their
path. In either case, the helmet changed the behavior of passing drivers.
>>
>Walker presented subjects (again, qualified drivers in a lab) with photographs of a brightly clad bicyclist in a number of different traffic situations in a typical English village. Using a computer, the subjects were asked to “stop” or “go” depending on what they thought the cyclist was going to do at various intersections. Cyclists were shown making a proper turn signal with the arm, giving a glance or a look over the shoulder, or not signaling at all. Results were tallied on the number of “good outcomes” (when the driver made the right choice), “false alarms” (the driver stopped when they did not have to), and what Walker predicted would be collisions. As might be expected (or hoped), drivers tended to sound false alarms most often when a cyclist looked over theirshoulder or gave no signal at all. As they did not know what the cyclist was going to do, they behaved overcautiously. But when Walker studied the “collisions,” he found that these happened most often when the cyclist had given the most clear indication of all, an arm turning signal. What’s more, when drivers made the correct decision to stop, their reaction times were slowest when they were confronted with the arm signal.

tl;dr: you're safer when you don't signal
>>
>>1019529
If an oncoming car is turning left I absolutely will not signal if I am turning right down the same road. Drivers seem to see the signal and think "bike slow I can make my turn in time". Its just an invitation to get cut off.

I've also noticed if there is a right turning car on a road I'm turning right onto, 95% of the time if I give them a courtesy signal to let them know they can pull out, they won't.

One thing I think would be great for getting drivers to pass safely are those sideways pointing flags. But instead of a flag, a hand grenade on the end of the stick.
>>
>>1019536
>i absolutely will not signal if i am turning right
I do this, but all in all cases for right turns
There seriously is no reason to signal a right turn, if there is a car next to you they take that to mean they can turn right with you an inch away from you, and if there is a car turning left you're fucked if you signal
>>
>>1019528
>you're safer when cycling without helmet
Yea, ever since dropping helmet on my daily commutes midway this season I've experienced far less shitty situations and even been let thru more times than up to that point globally.
Some reverse psychology bullshit right there.

>>1019529
>you're safer when you don't signal
Also absofuckinglutely true. I stopped signalling right turns after being cut off like a bitch one time too many. I usually don't signal left turns on the street if I need to stop before being able to take them as well and it's been proved to work best, since niggas get confused and, usually, slow down so I can zip in front of them.
I do signal left turns on bike paths because other cyclists are a different sort of faggy morons who are more than likely to try overtaking there.
Cheers.
>>
>>1019536
don't you pass a right-turning car on its left? (unless there's a good bike lane i guess)
>>
>>1019580
Yup, but they must be paranoid that I'm trying to trick them into pulling out so I can go straight instead and crash into them.
>>
Vaguely remember that (or something similar) from years back. As I recall it also helped to have long hair or a wig, presumably because drivers thought he was a grill.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.