[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else with mechanical disc brakes deliberately set

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1449679340396.jpg (174KB, 600x709px) Image search: [Google]
1449679340396.jpg
174KB, 600x709px
Does anyone else with mechanical disc brakes deliberately set them up to make a noise which scares the shit out of pedestrians when squeezed just right?

>SQUAAAAAAAAANK
>>
My "superior" disc brakes make me wish my bike had inferior rim brakes.
>>
I got some hydraulic fluid in the pads, now they squeal really loudly, I use it instead of a bell to let people in front know I'm nearby
>>
>tfw i fell for the hydro disk brake meme
>>
>raining today
>riding my rigid 90's mtb with slicks
>brakes squealing every time
>skidding and sliding around splashing in puddles
>cars honking because they think I'm crazy for being outside in the rain
>SSSQUEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>1017743
>deliberately
Nope, it happened on its own and I can't fix it.

>>1017753
>My "superior" disc brakes make me wish my bike had inferior rim brakes.
THIS, oh my god the front doesn't even stop and I can't fix it. Luckily the rear still works so it brakes as well as a BMX bike I guess.
>>
>>1019101
I hear cleaning the pads helps a lot at least for a while. But pulling the wheels to remove the pads for cleaning is more effort than I'm willing to throw at a recurring problem, particularly since pulling the wheel almost always having to readjust both pad dials.
>>
I have v brakes on my BSO and they make a pretty big sound, everyone looks at me when I brake, they sound like a train, specially now with the rain.
>>
>>1017779
>cars honking because they think I'm crazy for being outside in the rain
Do Americans really react this irately to having their status-quo threatened?
>>
Now I know why so many people hate disc brakes, because they're too retarded to set them up and maintain them properly.

Also if you have cable disc brakes and don't have drop bars or do long tours you're an idiot.
>>
>>1019101
>THIS, oh my god the front doesn't even stop and I can't fix it. Luckily the rear still works so it brakes as well as a BMX bike I guess.

Well, the front actually works but I have to squeeze full force to get braking power. It's either nothing, scraping, or full brake. I can't modulate the front. The back is perfect. Sure enough, it turns out they are hydraulic disks. I think the front might be slightly out of true since I hear an intermittent scraping sometimes (but not always)

>>1022114
I think the rotors get damaged too easily. They get out of whack and are harder for novices to adjust.

>>1019444
If I bought a Walmart bike I would really stay away from disc brakes. I have no personal experience with the disc brakes on department store bikes, but they scare me. The rotors look really flimsy. Good old V brakes always work, even on the Thruster Fixie that you can get for $79 regular price brand new. Coaster brakes are not great but they are protected from outside stuff messing them up.
>>
File: 20161104_182837.jpg (3MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20161104_182837.jpg
3MB, 4032x2268px
>>1022077
Cagers are pretty bully here. I know the older ones are nicer but you get kids that will heckle and throw things from their windows.
>>
>Bleeding brakes
>accidentally get some fluid on the rotor
>don't realise and it gets onto the pad
>now it's so noisy I use it instead of my bell
>>
>>1023969
Use gun cleaner to get the grease off and Emory cloth after.
>>
>>1022077

Yes. I live in NJ but bike in NYC often, taking the train in. Some people get extremely butthurt when they see you rolling your bike on the train or carrying it through the station. Not to mention the groups of people sitting in the designated bike spots.
>>
>>1017753
Well that's what happens when you're a stupid goy that falls for marketing gimmicks.
>>
>>1019101
>can't fix it
Ride your bike down a slight incline with the brakes on halfway for around 10 minutes, stop without clamping the brakes and let it sit for a while. Should take care of the problem
>>
>>1025823
You're an idiot, bedding the pads in likely won't do shit. For a start if they're already glazed over trying to bed them in will be pointless, secondly his lack of braking power could be down to many other things.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.