[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I just broke this lock open with my fucking hands. And I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_1087.jpg (1MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1087.jpg
1MB, 3648x2736px
I just broke this lock open with my fucking hands. And I'm 150 pounds ottermode.
>5 digit combination chain lock in an ALUMINIUM casing
>sleeve that I could cut with leatherman scissors
I didn't steal a bike, I found the lock with a snapped chain on the ground in a park. If the thief had known how much easier he could have had it...

e/n/tertainment thread I guess
>>
Chain was pinned.

A proper lock wouldn't do that.

Combination locks are garbage anyway, if you have good ears and you're not wearing gloves you can open it up without destroying it
>>
>>1011393
Maybe the idea is that if a bike simply LOOKS to be securely locked, 90% of thieves will leave it alone.
>I'm not saying it's a great idea -- I'm just saying
>>
Theres a video of a bike sting operation where a nice yank using the bars and saddle would break cheap locks with minimal damage to the bike.

Try it, no tools required
>>
>>1011445
Yeah I recon with a very hard steel bar/pipe you could snap a lot of chains just by torque.
>>
>>1011393

livejournal.com
>>
>>1011445
I once saw one about one nigger that was walking along the street, and saw a bike, so obviously as a black man his duty was stealing that crappy bike. He just picked the bike and with a single strong movement towards him, the shit cable lock broke. 10 seconds and he was riding to his ghetto.
>>
>>1011481
What a brave young man, doing anything it takes to provide for his family. Truly an American hero.
>>
http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/Default.aspx

Get a good chain.
>>
A thick chain (16mm+) can already eliminate many bolt cutters simply because it's too thick.

But soft steel is easily done with a hacksaw, which also very silent.

You need hard steel, shit is expensive but real high quality steel can chip bolt cutters.
>>
>>1011393
>that design surprises you with how weak it is.
Why?
Just be glad you werent the one who spent money on it. Only a retard worthy of losing their bike would use anything like that.
>>
>>1011658
The weakness of the design didn't surprise me, the choice of that design and material for a fucking lock did. I, like everyone else included in this tragedy, had no idea what it looked like when it was still sleeved.
>>1011396 has the right idea, but even a fucking cable lock would have been better physical protection than this thing.
>>
>>1011481

I had a beater bike with a TITANIUM quill stem. The stem was worth more than the bike.

One day, I sheldon brown u-locked it outside of my apartment for one hour

I came outside and someone had RIPPED the handlebars out of the stem. I don't think they even removed the bolt on the quill. The clamp was twisted and destroyed, and the thief made off with a steel riser bar, shit levers, and orange Oury grips.

I wanted to kill someone that day.

Out local Mexican bike shops will buy any bike part, no questions asked. Bring them a new bike and they'll cover it in spraypaint to resell. So obviously there is a thriving industry of retarded alcoholic ghetto 30-somethings who will steal anything they can

When you see a guy riding a BOS at full speed carrying an anodyzed Deep-V hipster wheel with the tire still on it, on his way to the bike shop, you know what is going on

BUILD
THE
WALL
>>
Here is the Stem.

RIP. I should have put you up for adoption on eBay

I will always remember you
>>
>>1011689
>>1011688
Most people have no fucking clue about bike/part values. I bought a cheap brandnew MTB saddle via ebay that was on some walmart tier bike and a friend of a friend said to me that he'd "steal that given the chance because it looks super expensive".
I'm sorry for your loss.
>>
File: 5673.jpg (116KB, 600x410px) Image search: [Google]
5673.jpg
116KB, 600x410px
>>1011396

This.

A couple of years ago, I had to run to the store but my car was in the shop. I ride trails, not commute, so didn't have a bike lock.

I ended up just wrapping on of my GF's old scrunchies around it because it looked like one of those sleeved chain locks.

>TFW $3500 bike secured by elastic and cloth
>>
>>1011724
>>TFW $3500 bike secured by elastic and cloth
you must have been terrified the whole time you were in the store
>>
>>1011767

Oops, wrong board for my trip.

I was pretty concerned, but could see it through the window the entire time. It was around midnight... never would have done it otherwise. I also had a small black bungee through the chainstay and wheel to slow down anyone who tried anything.
>>
>>1011799
Bungees do jack. I didnt secure my bungee well enough on my rack and it broke like an uncooked strand of spaghetti. It was industrial strength bungee hooks too.
>>
>>1011891

Was just to give me that extra couple of seconds. Cashier was laughing at me, because I wasn't even making eye contact, just staring at the bike.
>>
>>1011652
But then you have to haul a huge chain around with you everywhere.

I came to the same predicament when buying a chain for my bike, I came to the conclusion that a 10mm thick chain link would be big enough to deter theives without being too stupidly big/heavy to take with me in my backpack wherever me & my bike go.

It was the right decision too as it's still pretty heavy, not too heavy, but after a while the straps start dogging in my shoulders, but any smaller than 10mm would seem like a joke and a complete waste of time and money.
>>
>>1011396
reminds me of the time i ulocked the bike to nothing and just leaned it on the pole.

felt really silly after seeing what i had done
>>
>>1011393
ive known people whove had their bikes stolen cuz they were locked with combo locks and the dude just yanked on it hard enough to snap the lock

avoid combo and cable locks as well as small chain locks
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.