[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Half advice thread, half shitty blog post Hey /n/. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

Half advice thread, half shitty blog post

Hey /n/. I'm 26, and today I learned how to ride a bike. I never had one as a kid and always wanted one. Had been thinking about it the last couple of years, but never had any free time until recently

So on monday of last week, someone had parked a pretty old, pretty shitty bike behind our dumpster and it's just sat there. A magna excitor, something you'd find at walmart. Well yesterday I figured they were just trying to throw it away, so no harm in taking it home

I've never been on a bike before and it was a pretty awkward experience. Wasn't sure how to properly sit, how to start, well, -going-, nor how to balance. Fell over after a few feet for like thirty minutes. Then it just...clicked. Managed a good thirty yards before I had to clumsily stop, not having a handle on turning the bike at all. But it felt really good. And so after another hour I could cycle about my backyard, sitting or standing, without crashing for the most part. And I'm absurdly thrilled

So I bought a bike. A decent one (I think?). After a bit of research, I settled on an Airborne Guardian. I live in north GA and there are a lot of trails around here so I figured a mountain bike would be best, and it's a hardtail which I heard is alright for road use? I could be totally wrong, I know nothing about bikes so please correct me if I'm wrong. Would you say it was a decent pick for someone's first bike?

Also I bought it stock, and I don't have any tools, or lube or grease or anything. Is there stuff I should have before it gets here for when I put it together/before I take it out? Anything I should research about basic maintenance and such? I'd really appreciate any advice. I'm super excited
>>
>>1008596
As for exactly what tools you'll need, I'd wait and see what comes with the bike and also how much assembly/tuning is required. But you'll probably only need 4 and 5mm hex wrenches, a phillips screwdriver, a pedal wrench, and grease for the pedal threads and seatpost. Frankly, if you're starting with absolutely no knowledge at all, I would recommend you pay a bike shop to assemble this bike (or at the very least do a safety check on it after you assemble it) to verify that bolts are tightened sufficiently, that your headset is adjusted properly, and wheels reasonably true. You can learn to do most assembly tasks yourself by watching online videos (adjusting derailers and brakes will be the main tasks), but there's lots of things you'll miss if you've never ever worked on a bike before.
>>
>>1008596
Not a bad choice. Ride errday, give no fucks, and stay safe.
>>
>So I bought a bike. A decent one (I think?). After a bit of research, I settled on an Airborne Guardian.

It's a solid choice. It avoids the biggest flaw of most entry level mtbs, which is crappy suspension.

The wheelset is strictly bare bones, and it's going to take a lot of muscle to throw around tight corners because of it's weight.

>which I heard is alright for road use?
If you do lots of road riding, get road tires. You lose 15 percent efficiency or so with knobby dirt tires on road, but it's not going to explode or catch on fire or anything like that. If you expect to ride all day on the road, it's obviously the wrong choice, but that's not exactly a suprise.

>Anything I should research about basic maintenance and such? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Sheldon brown. All of it.
>>
>>1008606
>Frankly, if you're starting with absolutely no knowledge at all, I would recommend you pay a bike shop to assemble this bike (or at the very least do a safety check on it after you assemble it) to verify that bolts are tightened sufficiently, that your headset is adjusted properly, and wheels reasonably true.

Agreed.

>>1008596
>Also I bought it stock, and I don't have any tools, or lube or grease or anything. Is there stuff I should have before it gets here for when I put it together/before I take it out?

Here's what I would recommend after getting the bicycle up and running.

Flat tires are most common bicycle repair issue, so you will need tools to fix that on the road when it comes to that. You will need tire levers, a patch kit, a mini-pump (or if you've got money to burn, a frame pump) and perhaps a spare inner tube or two. You may want to get a floor pump as well, although you may just want to get air from gas stations and bike stores. Always remember to keep your tires at an optimal pressure: too little and you will get more flats; too much and you might blow out the tire. Except for the pumps, you can get those items for less than $5-10 each.

Drive train maintenance is also important for bicycles. Keep the bike clean as possible and the chain well-lubricated. Get some bike specific lubricant, some degreaser and get in habit of cleaning your bike on a semi-regular bases, depending on how often you ride. Other than the aforementioned items, you can clean your bicycle with ordinary cleaning items like dish soap, brushes and sponges.

As well, you might want to get a simple multi-tool, which will have hex wrenches and screwdrivers heads that you will need. I got mine for $10.
>>
>>1008688

(con't)

Beyond that, everything else is gravy. If you're planning on going out a night, you should get some lights. Fenders are nice for rain conditions but are not completely necessary. If you want to transport stuff larger than what can be bit comfortably in a backpack (or if you don't want to wear one, you could get a rear rack and stuff to hold stuff in, but that can get a bit pricey.

>Anything I should research about basic maintenance and such?

Youtube videos, Sheldon Brown's website (www.sheldonbrown.com) and maybe a book or two would suffice.
>>
>>1008622
>>Sheldon brown. All of it.
>>All of it.
>cottered cranks
>26 1/4" vs 26.75" wheel sizes
>peculiarities of particular eighties dura ace generations
I think any cyclist can do without the overwhelming majority of based Sheldons knowledge. Good place to research specific topics though.
>>
File: 9.jpg (240KB, 650x375px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
240KB, 650x375px
Bep,
>>
>>1008596
DUDE that bike is super rad. nice pick.
>>
File: 5mPQjR9.gif (1MB, 331x197px) Image search: [Google]
5mPQjR9.gif
1MB, 331x197px
>>1011268
stupid bacon and his random posts
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.