[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The biggest flaw when proposing that bikes replace cars is pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

File: 720917_1280x720.jpg (100KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
720917_1280x720.jpg
100KB, 1280x720px
The biggest flaw when proposing that bikes replace cars is pic related (normal people prefer to arrive at their destination dry and not soaking wet).

tl;dr: bikes are for recreation; not commuting.
>>
How about you drive when it's raining and ride the rest of the year
>>
>>1006577
bikes replace cars

public transport still exists, for inclement weather
>>
File: trafficjam.jpg (279KB, 728x410px) Image search: [Google]
trafficjam.jpg
279KB, 728x410px
The biggest flaw when proposing that cars replace bikes is pic related (normal people prefer to arrive at their destination quickly and not stressed out)

tl;dr: cars are for coral reefs; not commuting
>>
>>1006579
That's what I do.

t. beady anglo
>>
>>1006577
I'm not sure if you've heard yet but there is waterproof clothing which keeps you dry while cycling in rain.
>>
Don't be a pussy faggot
>>
>sloped road
>roof
>???
>magical hippie paradise

I bet city area two lane plastic roofs would cost a fraction of 6 lane car roads
>>
I just wear a tracksuit that is water resistant. Wow, you arrive not wet if you don't dress like a twat, amazing.

>>1006588

What a fun looking picture, wow I sure am missing out. Time to become a cager, guys, and sit in traffic for ten hours a morning.

Why are cagefags so retarded? "hurr yeah this is fine." Seriously? Who would subject themselves to that every morning?

>>1006685

They have bikes with little plastic enclosures around them, like a bike-powered mini golf cart.
>>
>>1006577
what of all the people who do not possess a car? do you stop and think before you spout this mental excrement of yours?
>>
>portland and seattle
>rainiest cities in nation
>cycling meccas

>texas, phoenix, other shitholes
>dry
>no one cycles (they're too obese)
>>
>>1006703
Really the heat is more of an obstacle than rain.
Fortunately I think the LEED standards developers currently have boners for include showers for cyclists, so you can just take five minutes upon arrival at work to stop being covered in sweat.
>>
>>1006703
Austin has some cyclists
Better than nothing tier
>>
>>1006703
>texas
>a dry shithole
kys faggot, you don't know dick. Most metropolitan cities in Texas have large biking communities. Phoenix is a shithole but also has a big contingency of bike riders.
>>
>>1006577
The lack of protection from weather elements is just one disadvantage of bikes. They're much less stable in snowy/icy conditions. They require more physical effort/skill to use. You're more likely to end up dirty and sweaty at your destination. They have much less speed and range. They have much less carrying capacity.
>>
>>1006836
Imagine this post contained all of the benefits of riding a bicycle, which I'm sure you're aware of. Imagine it also contained all the cons of riding a car. I'm just so tired of going over this shit all the tiem
>>
>>1006577
>what are fenders
>what is a rain jacket
>>
>>1006836
>They require more physical effort/skill to use
>more skills

Yeah that's why kids are taught to ride bike by the age of 5 and you have to wait to be 16/18 to pay to learn to ride a car and pass a certification to prove you know how to ride a car.
>>
You're making big generalizations OP.

They're not 100% perfect but then no form of transport is. You use the right tool for the commute.

If you're travelling comparitively short distances then the bicycle is perfect, it's cheaper and you get the added benefit of cardio.

The majority of trips that people make are relatively short and this means that many people could use a bicycle for their daily commute, shopping and whatever.

This isn't applicable in all climates but it is fine for most of the places where humans live.

I think that public transportation should be prioritized in areas where the density allows it and I think that people should still have the choice to drive if they need to.

What gets me about this whole thing is that it shouldn't be bikes vs cars vs trains. If more people road bicycles then those that need to be driving places like ambulances, police vehicles, firetrucks, tradesmen etc. would be able to get to their location much more efficiently and it would benefit the economy greatly.

If many people rode a bicycle to work then they would have better cardiovascular health, burn some calories and for some office workers who lead stressed out lives this could be extraordinarily advantageous because they could get the endorphin high from exercise every day and arrive with a smile on their face.

Currently we have placed way too much emphasis on cars and that is unsustainable, costly and incredibly inefficient. It's not the ONLY way to travel and pretending that it is has made the lives of many markedly worse.
>>
>netherlands and denmark have constant rain for parts of the year
>people don't give a fuck and still bike everywhere

hmm yes good argument OP
>>
>>1007035
One of the biggest things that people don't talk about when comparing bicycles to cars is how good not having to find a park or paying for temporary parking and having to worry about getting fined for parking in the wrong spot or being parked for too long.

That and the mood benefits are the biggest factors for me.
>>
>>1006588

To be fair, that's a pic from Dehli. Where drivers ignore lane markings and you are driving with buses, cars, 3 wheelers, rickshaws, bikes, motorcycles, and pedestrians down a lawless highway nightmare
>>
File: 6919871840_710e92caab.jpg (153KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
6919871840_710e92caab.jpg
153KB, 500x368px
>>1006577

If roads were properly built for bicycles, draining water faster, and people had a simple set of rain cycling gear, there would be no problem

Also, no pollution on the road, so the road would last very long, and toxic run-off would not be an issue. AND the wet road will not be slick with gasoline/exhaust/grim that cars leave behind them
>>
>>1006735

I'd rather shoot myself than live in texass. A bunch of obese retards rolling around in cages in a sprawled to hell shithole of a city. Dallas, houston, austin, idgaf they're all shitty. Enjoy your spic plague you fatass burger-munching lard. I've cycled and hiked in temperatures over 95 with humidity that would make a fish drown, it isn't that fucking bad. You're just lazy faggots. Hey, maybe if you didn't run your cages and a/c all the fucking time and stopped spewing machine wasteheat and pollution all over, maybe it might not be so fucking hot. Just a suggestion.

>>1007035

This. Look at the monsoon swamp that is SEA, and they all bike everywhere all the time. I've seen international students from SEA biking while holding umbrellas. Americans are just lazy and pampered. Just because your diet is mainly sugar and white flour doesn't mean you're gonna melt if you get a little wet. Lipids are hydrophobic after all.
>>
File: my sides.jpg (17KB, 200x199px) Image search: [Google]
my sides.jpg
17KB, 200x199px
>>1007103
>Lipids are hydrophobic after all.
>>
>>1006579
Even better when you have a nice job that lets you work from home when you want.
>>
>>1006577
>I don't know what raincoats are
>I don't know what waterproof trunks are

Try not to eat glue or suck a cock on your way out.
>>
>>1006579
This, I don't know why people think that one has to either choose to ride a bike or drive a car for all of their commutes.

As long as you are not dirt poor/homeless you can adapt to the weather.
>>
>>1006579
>rainy day
>traffic colapse because traffic increases 1000%
what could possibly go wrong
>>
>HERP DERP I ride a bike because STOOPID CAGERS
>but when it rains I take the car
>DURRRR STUPID CAGERS DURRRRRRRR
public transit > everything
bikers = cagers
>>
>>1007197
>bikers = cagers

Oh hell no you did not just say that. I bike in the rain, I bike when windchill and cold put it at sub zero F, I bike in 50 mph wind, I bike in snowstorms, I bike on ice. Just because OP is a pussy doesn't mean you can put all bikers in that basket.
>>
>>1007245
You. I like you. I like your post. Please, stay.
>>
>>1007245
>Just because OP is a pussy doesn't mean you can put all bikers in that basket.
>proceeds to put all bikers in HIS basket
exception confirms the rule you autismo.

Good for you tho, you're the only kind of biker I respect. But you're the minority and always will be. Search your feelings, you know this to be true.
>>
>tfw woke up 10 minutes before class at 8 and it's pouring rain in february
>change clothes, shove notebook in backpack,
put on raincoat and get on bike
>50F out so everything not covered by the coat is soaked and cold before I reach the rack
>get on bike, start riding hard since I'm late
>can hardly see, so much rain
>riding on the sidewalk but the water is overflowing the gutters onto it
>up to the axles in one low spot
>fuck it I did this to myself waking up so late
>plow on, I'm already almost there
>thankfully the bike parking at the lecture hall had cover
>lock up bike and check phone
>7:59
>juuust on time
>walk in, everyone else looks pretty dry
>meanwhile I'm soaked, rain went down the neck and up the sleeves of my jacket
>my shoes are full of water, they're squelching along every step
>sit down in a seat and let the cushion soak up nearly a gallon of water
later
>ask someone about the rain, since most look much drier than me
>>oh yeah it wasn't really that bad earlier
>what, it was really pouring out there, I'm surprised they didn't cancel class
>>no, it must've just gotten worse when you were out
>>it was just drizzling while I walked here

>realize I probably just caught the peak of the rain for the day
>goddamnit

Riding in tropical storm tier rain is an experience, for sure but it really does suck when you get where you're going.
>>
>>1006735
Phoenix has more problems than the climate. It's a poster child for pointless car-centric sprawl.
>>
>>1008193
>be me
>class is at 8
>"welp I guess class is cancelled"
>raining hard outside
>see a cloud
>>
>>1008193
>sitting in a lecture room seat while wet

people like you need to get a free helicopter ride, seriously. Disgusting.
>>
Or just harden the fuck up.
You're not made of sugar, you won't dissolve because of some water.

Bike raincoats are incredibly cheap, and if you don't have fenders on your commuter you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>1006589
You almost never ride then?
>>
cages are for people with jobs
>>
File: n_87385_1.jpg (39KB, 626x328px) Image search: [Google]
n_87385_1.jpg
39KB, 626x328px
>>1007103
Not to mention that their motorbikes (underbones with high torque and low COG) can basically power through anything even more "powerful" vehicles couldn't.
>>
File: 1455257280503.png (25KB, 274x280px) Image search: [Google]
1455257280503.png
25KB, 274x280px
>>1008567
That's a good portion of the way up to the airbox on a scooter, do they fit them with snorkels to keep the engine from sucking in water and breaking?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcpiBf4xcgs
>rip in pieces scootscoot
>>
>>1008929
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr4Nc4iipvg

Note how many have underbones.
>>
>>1008363
Yeah that was the joke.
>>
>>1007245
>>1007258
Yeah

>>1006588
Get a fuckin moped. We ride during the winter. We call it winter league. here in kentucky gets so fuckin cold we use exhaust pipes to warm up.

>>inb4 kentucky is a shithole. i know.
>>
File: en.jpg (95KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
en.jpg
95KB, 800x800px
If you live in a cold area you should have a rain suit, you can buy rain suits that are made for cyclists. You are in more danger of getting hypothermia from cold rain than snow. Also you should ride a bike with fat low pressure tires with lots of tread, slipping in rain is a big danger in rain.
>>
>>1008985
tread doesn't help with traction if you're riding on the road, wet or not. Or any hard surfaces with no give for that matter
>>
>>1008985
>>1008993
Yup, what matters is tire compound. Larger contact patch is good to.

Any opinions on rain capes? They look dorky but seem pretty functional.
>>
>>1008993
>>1009013
please learn what siping is before posting nonsense about tire traction in wet conditions
>>
>>1009192
>i'm retarded as fuck
Bicycle tires are too narrow for any tread to matter on a wet road.
>>
Anyone that complains about the weather just has shitty gear

I don't understand why people will spend $800 on a smartphone but won't invest more than $30 on a rainjacket or $60 on a parka
>>
>>1009262
Most people only pay like a dollar for their phones upfront, guy.
>>
>>1009265
>I don't understand why people will spend $800 on a smartphone on layaway but won't invest more than $30 on a rainjacket or $60 on a parka

ftfy
>>
>>1009262
But the jacket doesn't have a cool apple logo that everyone else also has. Also most people don't buy their phones but get a contract where they pay out of their ass monthly but get the phone >for free.
>>
>>1006577
Can't your city into drains? Or why is the road flooded?
>>
>>1009272
I sense a business opportunity...
>>
>>1009285
Because developers and planners worry too much about just slapping down the tarmac. If the road floods then it will be long after they're gone and then it becomes the local's problem.
>>
>>1009286
Any subscription based service is a literal goldmine because people think of it as just another 5 - 20 dollars they're paying for it and forget that they already have 10 other services they're paying for.
>>
>>1009269
What do you mean fixed, that's entirely my point.
>>
>>1009301
you can also put outdoor gear on your credit card, what's the difference?
>>
>>1008942
Somehow global warming has made kentucky colder in the winter, I swear.
>>
>>1007103

>austin

where do you live that's that much better than Austin?

the rest of texas sucks though, I agree
>>
>>1009311
Literally the price tag, are you under the impression that these retards are not, in fact, retarded?
>>
Install full fenders on your Surly LHT commuter build and then jump off of the Brooklyn Bridge
>>
>>1009400

>26" wheels

m-muh 700c tire selection

why not a mini velo then?
>>
Gettuff
>>
As well as being an atrophied degenerate, you're also a snivelling pussy. No wonder the country's gone to shit! Harden the fuck up faggot.
>>
>>1006577
The fact that you idiots are even talking about this on here shows that most of you are 16 year old useful idiots future GMOBs
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.