[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have weak knees, will cycling be good or bad for me? All

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: aKBWABZ_700b.jpg (109KB, 700x933px) Image search: [Google]
aKBWABZ_700b.jpg
109KB, 700x933px
I have weak knees, will cycling be good or bad for me?

All I can say right now is that I rode around a little for 3 days and my knees felt pretty sore but now they feel stronger than before after taking a break.

Also I don't want to be one of those super skinny, almost dead looking, skeletor eating disorder cyclist, but I don't want to get huge thighs. How should I train for decent aesthetics, just track training on easy mode?
>>
File: 1468200238866.png (65KB, 253x238px) Image search: [Google]
1468200238866.png
65KB, 253x238px
you're not going to get huge overnight. just train as much as you want and then stop when you're satisfied with your "aesthetics". it's a dumb reason to ride a bike though and your question is stupid
>>
File: 1467911621589.jpg (111KB, 660x582px) Image search: [Google]
1467911621589.jpg
111KB, 660x582px
>riding on some rural backroads somewhere in missouri
>deer runs into the road fifteen feet in front of me, its gay hooves slip and it struggles to regain traction
>i think this is it, i just bought this new bike and this faggot mongrel is going to ruin it
>deer gets its shit in gear right before impact and we avoid collision

wew
>>
>>1006079

Weak knees huh

Well a short crank and spinning helps avoid knee pain in general

Not sure if you can actual strengthen a knee if your cartilage is damaged
>>
>>1006079
>I don't want to be one of those super skinny, almost dead looking, skeletor eating disorder cyclist, but I don't want to get huge thighs.
Don't worry, you won't be either. You'll never ride hard enough nor have the necessary diet to transform your body in such way.

And as long as you ride on a proper gear (not mashing nor spinning like crazy), and you get a proper bike fit, your knees will be fine.
>>
>>1006116
>not mashing nor spinning like crazy

What does this mean?
>>
>>1006117
Mashing, as in riding on a gear too high, so you're pushing too hard with your legs. Most casuals suffer from this since they think that high gear = faster. Spinning is the opposite, riding on a gear too low, so your legs are spinning very fast while you're moving slowly.
>>
File: 1471141186659.jpg (33KB, 452x423px) Image search: [Google]
1471141186659.jpg
33KB, 452x423px
>>1006118
Took me a while to learn this ohhpee.

I trained for rugby for many years but injury after injury took me out. Im using light weight training and biking to recondition my body after a few years of getting fat. I managed to lose 60 lbs in 6 months and did body recomp at 165 for a few months. Feels good man.

BIKE FIT and NO MASH/SPIN MASTA is what you should focus on. If you want musculature too you gotta weight train a bit imo. Avoid climbs and stick to flats for a while.

My knees are better but its not good and it will never be 100% imo. Managing the pain with exercise is much better than giving up hope and getting fat/skinny fat.

We're all gonna make it.
>>
>>1006079
>I have weak knees
Get thee to THE GYM, then, and start doing leg press 2 or 3 times a week during the off-season. Also get your bike fit corrected, it's probably way off.

>>1006114
>Not sure if you can actual strengthen a knee if your cartilage is damaged
I've had arthroscopic surgery on one knee, and the cartilege in the other was fucked up, too. That was years ago, since then I've been road racing for 7 years now, and last Fall's strength training in the gym included, at the conclusion, 3 sets of 20 reps with 965 pounds loaded on the 45 degree leg press sled, knees all the way down to my chest on every rep. Knees don't complain at all.
>>
>>1006138
>leg press
>not squats
>>
>>1006079
I have weak knees as well, I tried everything and the only thing that seems to work for me is spinning, we're talking 100-140 avg 27-30 kph
>>
>>1006138
>I've had arthroscopic surgery on one knee, and the cartilege in the other was fucked up, too. That was years ago, since then I've been road racing for 7 years now, and last Fall's strength training in the gym included, at the conclusion, 3 sets of 20 reps with 965 pounds loaded on the 45 degree leg press sled, knees all the way down to my chest on every rep. Knees don't complain at all.

t. irrelevant xanga post . com
>>
>>1006114
If you don't have damaged knees already, you should do some knee supporting muscle excercises. I don't know much about that but I've understood that it helps to keep your knees in their right place sideways. Also avoid too big gears, spin fast, short cranks etc.
>>
My knee problems are due to tight hams/posterior chain. Probably there are many others suffering from this as well. If not addressed it will eventually lead to more serious issues.
>>
>>1006152
You may not like his use of a personal anecdote but it was in reference to how he got and maintained healthy knees which is OP relevant.
>>
>>1006187
Ass/hip bursitis caused by tight hams/posterior chain is a literal pain in the ass. Remember to stretch and take care of your muscles properly lads.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.