[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your opinion on the RTS bus? A good amount of these

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

File: rts.jpg (101KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
rts.jpg
101KB, 640x480px
What is your opinion on the RTS bus?

A good amount of these still run in NYC and they have an iconic look in my opinion.

The newer buses are so ugly.
>>
>>1003800
Long Beach Transit was the first company to get them. I thought they were cool but GMC got out of the bus business. Enjoy them while you can because New Flyer,Novabus and the remaining Orions still rule the streets.
>>
>>1003800
Toronto got rid of all the RTS's just this year. The Flyer D40LF's are next to go, next year. After the Toronto will be nothing but Orion VII's and Nova LF40's/60's.
>>
literally 3rd world in 80s
>>
>>1003879
What makes you say that?
>>
>>1003850

>The Flyer D40LF's are next to go, next year

Considering that 44 out of 51 of them have been retired already according to this site, I wonder if the rest of them will be gone by year end.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Toronto_Transit_Commission_7300-7350

As far as useful life for a bus is concerned, barring any extraordinary problems is 20 years a good minimum lifespan for a bus?
>>
File: Cherriots RTS.jpg (326KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
Cherriots RTS.jpg
326KB, 1280x960px
One of the earliest memories of buses that I have.
>>
>>1004165
20 years seems pretty good. Obviously some buses can run longer (the GM's just didn't want to die). I we've been using the Orion VII's since the early 2000's so there retirement will be coming up sometime around 2022 I think. I wonder were TTC will go from there, will we continue to deal with Nova to replace the Orion's or will we pay New Flyer another visit.
>>
>>1004165
I think 20 years is pretty good for a bus. The oldest buses in NYC right now are about 20 years old, and NYC transit tends to keep rolling stock around for a while.

The subway cars are kept around for much longer, the R32s are 51-52 years old. They're beautiful trains in my opinion.
>>
>>1004165
20 years is pretty good. ACTION in Canberra is phasing out Renault PR.100 mk2s right now, they're mostly 1990-1993 busses and will be in service for up to 28 years.
>>
Video of the new New Flyer artics serving the old Jamaica Bus routes. It's going to the Parsons-Archer subway station which is a hub for southeast Queens routes. Q114 is a new route.

https://youtu.be/iYXUxYMwgjc
>>
File: home of the bus.jpg (282KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
home of the bus.jpg
282KB, 1024x768px
bow down to the eternal quebecois
>>
>>1004442
The RTC in Quebec?
>>
File: MetroTransit-HybridbusL.jpg (75KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
MetroTransit-HybridbusL.jpg
75KB, 432x288px
>>1004347
>>1004318
>>1004310
My system has a 12 year replacement schedule. Currently we're working on a mileage/age replacement study to better plan for capital expenses. Occasionally older buses are kept as spares or for additional service like the State Fair.

How many miles do the buses have?
>>
>>1003800
They're okay. The PVTA had a bunch of them of various lengths at one point before they got replaced by Gilligs and New Flyer Xcelsiors. As a passenger I preferred the Gilligs and New Flyers but the drivers preferred the RTSes and hated the Gilligs (they said the Gilligs kept breaking down). They seemed to like the Xcelsiors though.
>>
>>1003879
yeah they look like old russian buses
>>
>>1004607
st-eustache, home of the Novabus LFS 40 & 60
>>
>>1004165
The standard is 12 years
>>
>>1004423
I see these all the time, it doesn't seem like that busy of a route so I don't know why it needs artics
>>
>>1004621
I think buses in NYC stay in service for at least 12 years, but many of them are reliable enough to stay in service much longer.
>>
>>1004621
When's the next replacement, TCbro?
>>
I wish the MTA's entire fleet was RTSs

I rode one last night and I nearly came in my pants , and I'm not even a busfan
>>
>>1005073
MTA wants to get rid of all diesels. The only ones spared are the MCI express coaches.
>>
File: ttc_7217.jpg (101KB, 700x534px) Image search: [Google]
ttc_7217.jpg
101KB, 700x534px
All retired
>>
>>1004912
It serves neighborhoods that once had one family houses. Now new houses are three or four family. Check out rush hour when people are coming from the Parson Blvd subway on Hillside and the Parson-Archer subway. You'll see crowds. People sometimes can't get on from Parsons-Archer even with the artics.
>>
>>1005186
I thought most of the new buses were diesel? Or are they CNG?

>>1005502
Come to think of it, the artics do make sense because a lot of times they'll have 2 or 3 buses doing one timeslot.

On a side note, I got to ride an RTS again tonight on the Q3 , it was cool. Kind of like going back in a time machine to the late 90s.
>>
>>1005502
NYC transit is incredible in my opinion when you think about how vast it is

Some people like to whine a lot, but how many other cities have frequent, 24/7 bus service even its outskirt areas?
>>
nyc's buses have the best color scheme
>>
>>1006045
I think they are hybrids. They have that hissy,wheezy sound that hybrids have. After the CNG reservoir got shorn off a bus going under a low clearence underpass.no more CNG.
>>
>>1006058
Philly,Frisco,Chicago and LA. Not as vast as NYC.
>>
>>1004621
>metro transit
hello mpls bro
>>
>>1006074
Nassau County buses all use CNG and they go through NYC

I'm guessing those new buses are not hybrids because the hybrids they had ordered previously all say hybrid on then
>>
>>1006075
Frisco and LA have 24 hour public transit?
>>
>>1006075
Chicago apparently has a really good public transit system if you're a fucking cuckold who can't ride a bike
>>
>>1006058
Toronto amazingly. Maybey not frequent but pretty much every major artery road ins served by a 24 hour bus route so you're never more then like a 5 minute walk from the bus no matter what time of day.
>>
>>1006222
Nassau buses go through eastern Queens to Parson-Archer and the 165 St bus terminal. The bus that got sheared was owned by Command. Based in Brooklyn.
>>
File: MT Fleet replacement.png (36KB, 636x457px) Image search: [Google]
MT Fleet replacement.png
36KB, 636x457px
>>1004951
>>1006135
We order buses almost every year. Definitely every year if count the cutaway buses for some of the suburban routes/Transit Link/Metro Mobility. There are about 30 New Flyer artics that need to be replaced soon. I don't directly deal with Metro Transit's purchasing but if they bought strictly by the book for the next capital investment cycle it'd look something like this. It won't be exact as they will likely choose to keep some vehicles longer due to low miles or other reasons. FYI Gilligs are standard buses, New Flyers are articulated, and MCI are coaches.
>>
>>1006340
But don't buses not go on any low clearance highways?
>>
>>1006399
They do but some are more low clearance than others. For instance limited access roads called parkways in New York have very low clearance overpasses. They were made that way to keep trucks and buses off. Only cars. Thank you Robert Moses.
>>
>>1006592
He did that to keep minorities and other poor undesirables from visiting the park facilities.
>>
>>1006226
lmfao yeah because riding a bicycle in arctic-tier weather is actually an option right?
>>
>>1006650
That too. Moses didn't know how to drive so he was chauffeured.
>>
>>1004621
No idea what kind of mileage the old ACTION renaults have, although most of them are used 5 days a week, so it'd be substantial. A few years back they did engine overhauls on a lot of them to keep them in for a bit longer. Generally busses get retired around the 20-25 year mark here, excluding unicorns in the fleet.
>>
>>1006222
>>1006222
Just found out by going to New Flyer's website and looking at the model name and code. The artics are diesels. I also found that the MTA weren't all that happy about the engine with burnouts and all so no more hybrids. By the way this is the bus I take to work. MCI coach now owned by New Flyer. So is NABI.

https://youtu.be/cL1qRhh8tvQ
>>
>>1007206
Are the other new buses also diesel? The ones numbered in the 8000s
>>
>>1007428
All new buses are diesels.You might want to go to wikipedia,go to MTA bus and look for the bus rosters. They have lists of old,new and future buses.
>>
>>1008599
You just said the MTA wants to get rid of all diesels, lol

So they stopped ordering hybrids because of mechanical issues?
>>
>>1008755
They had problems with the hybrid motors. Plus they are expensive to maintain. Just like you don't see anymore Prevost coaches. One caught on fire.
>>
Does anyone know why Orion shut down? They seemed to be pretty successful and had a popular product line.

RTS has always been butt-ugly IMO
>>
Drove RTS' for years for Bloomington Transit, and I loved their handling. Driver comfort was a little lacking though.
>>
>>1012081

That was due to its parent company Daimler AG decided to get out of the North American bus market

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/Orion_International
>>
>>1004871
What does PVTA stand for...
Penis Vagina Tits and Ass
>>
>>1003800
They use these exclusively at my university, only way to get around too unless you drive
>>
>>1012269
Pioneer Valley Transit Authority. Serves Springfield,Mass and burbs. Dr. Suess' old stomping grounds.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.