[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting into riding motorcycles any experienced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (40KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 337x450px
Thinking about getting into riding motorcycles any experienced riders have tips for me?
Also thinking of learning on a 2010 Kawasaki ninja
>>
Not being a dick, but >>>/o/ has a daily motorcycle thread, and is a much faster board.
You'll get a better response if you post there.
>>
>>1000440
1. Can you accept the FACT that every single day, someone on the roads may actively try to kill you? If the answer is "no", then you're not tempermentally suited to riding a motorcycle.

2. Motorcycle recycling yards are FULL of bikes like Ninjas that new riders bought, rode for a while, then got KILLED on, because it was WAY TOO MUCH BIKE for a newbie to handle. Don't be that guy. Get a 250cc twin putt-putt bike to start with. If after a year you're still down with it and have been riding regularly, can handle the freeways without vapor-locking your anus, THEN consider a bigger bike. Otherwise you're roadkill, sooner or later. Not even kidding you.

Good luck, OP.
>>
Buy an old motorcycle, like before 75. Old cars are very easy to work on, and you learn a lot. You save money on mechanics, but you spend more on parts than most. It's worth it by a long shot
>>
>>1000478
i feel really really really comfortable on a bicycle and i ride my high spec road bike in NYC tier traffic every day aggressively. even worked as a bike courier one summer.

do any of those skills transfer to motrocycles? I want to buy a sports bike. I live in a city and dont even need to use the highway but i could easily take the bridge out and ride on the rural 2 lane highway
>>
>>1000483
The basic principles of counter steering and front brake is the one that stops you apply. However it doesn't really help you other than in theory because speeds are much much higher. Just get a small 250 cc bike that's relatively upright. You'll enjoy it much more, especially if you're in city. Sports bike needs 150 km/h to be comfortable.
>>
File: 123123123222.jpg (124KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
123123123222.jpg
124KB, 1080x810px
>>1000440
been riding in NYC for 2 weeks almost every day as a courier on a 50cc and its more than enough, SURE i could save 25 mins on my commute to/from home way the fuck uptown by being on the highway, but it goes up to like 40mph which is more than enough

if its just for commuting get a 50cc recommended and u just need a drivers license idk u gotta check the dmv in your area lots of rules

cars respect you more than being on a bicycle ill tell you that, but u cant run lights or go against traffic so that kinda sucks if youre stuck in traffic other than that its just like a REALLY heavy bicycle
>>
>pretty much every bike for sale is a massive, thirsty sports bike
>95% of our roads can only be safely navigated at 50mph/80kmh, with some corners needing a slow down to 20mph/30kmh because they're so tight and potholed
>in such bad condition that it's likely you'll need new suspension every few years, and need to carry a puncture kit with you all the time

What (supposedly) western country do I live in
>>
I'm assuming OP is looking at a Ninja 250. If so, that's a great bike to start on.
>>1000481
Terrible advice. That's expensive and you'll spend more time working on the bike than actually riding it. Leave those project bikes to older hobbyists.
New riders should buy something from the 90's or newer.
>>
Was just about to make this thread lel

I plan on using the Ninja 250 for short commuting and occasionally short trips from LI to PA. Would the Ninja be a good bike for this?
>>
>>1001488
Go for one of the Honda 300cc that are out now. Much more comfortable.
>>
>>1001523
Forgot to say, better fuel economy as well, compared to a minimal loss of power.
>>
>>1000440
Start on something that does not have much power. You are much more likely to crash badly with a stronger bike.
Maybe take a driving safety course, if that is available near you, to learn how to handle some difficult situations.
When in doubt, go slow. Don't ever go fast in places where you are not absolutely sure that you can.
And last but not least: Always. ALWAYS! Wear real safety gear. Even the smallest accident is going to hurt you really bad without, and you will make mistakes. A lot of them. And even if none of those lead to a crash, there are more than enough other people on the road to get you in trouble.
>>
>>1000478
???? they got killed on, ninja starters are 250cc's though, and trust me there really hard to loop unless you're being really stupid and reving it way to much and letting the clutch off while also pulling it up, and depending on where you live it's not like people are trying to kill you daily, people just pull out without seeing you sometimes
>>
>>1001488
250cc or the new 300cc ninjas are good starters, but going 120-130+ it revs pretty high then
>>
I live in San Diego, so some where with high volume traffic and lot of freeways 250s can be dangerous for being to slow. Trust me i started on one and it was insane. Recommend 650. Fast enough to get out of a tight spot and pretty forgiving with its power
>>
>>1001447
>>1001488
250cc Ninja and any other 250cc sportbikes are awful. They put you on an aggressive position on the bike yet hardly even reach speeds that make that position bearable for longer distances.

Buy Yamaha MT-03, or some other 250 - 400 cc naked twin, for your first bike.
>>
DO

IT

FAGGOT
>>
>>1002468
>sometimes
>>
>>1002874
POO IN LOO
>>
File: guinea pig.gif (995KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
guinea pig.gif
995KB, 500x314px
>>1000478
1. This happens on cycles anyways

2. This reflects everything I've read/heard so far.
>>
File: overflow-11.jpg (41KB, 550x658px) Image search: [Google]
overflow-11.jpg
41KB, 550x658px
>>1000440
get the ninja 500 (or any other 500)
a bit more powerful compared to the 250 (you won't outgrow it)
very forgiving (at least the ninja, I can't talk for the others but I don't see any reason why they won't all be the same)
bulletproof if you minimally maintain it (oil, decent gas, lube)

as far as riding, read "proficient motorcycling" (or something like that), both books
relatively cheap on amazon or you can find them as pdf on torrents
Do the MSF course, don't even think riding without it!

then, here is some advice I try to follow every time I get on a bike:

>riding is as dangerous as YOU LET IT BE
>the moment you stop being afraid, that's when you should stop riding
>you are the only one that knows the rules
>you are invisible to others
>others might try (once in a while) to ACTUALLY KILL you

go on your bike's forum and take it from there

Lastly, I've been riding for 10 years, I rode ~20k miles, never fell, never in an accident but I slid a few times (on ice, sand and oil)
BUT
the fact that I never had any bad thing happening to me is 75% luck and 25% following the above rules/advice

Happy motoring!
>>
>>1006813
>motorcycles in winter

Is this usually done or is it some hardcore thing?
>>
>>1006817
I got my license in October
I bought my first bike in mid November
does that explain it?

that winter I rode as much as could, the coldest being one night at 28F (-2C for the "normal" people)
a few years later anything under 60F (15C) was too cold
>>
>>1006818
I guess it depends on where you live.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.