[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey guys, i'm a musician who's worked in the classical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: 1492517666091.png (546KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1492517666091.png
546KB, 550x550px
hey guys, i'm a musician who's worked in the classical world for a long time and now trying to make his own music

the thing is, I have so many ideas for project that would suit my skills, but they're all pretty radically different genres. One idea is a hip-hop/neosoul album and another is a very PC music inspired electro-pop record.

I know artists can't make radical different changes in their sounds. How do I make this work? Do i just decide on one and run with it? It's been really holding me back from making music.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (32KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
32KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>75199305
Why can't you make radical changes in your sound?
>>
>>75199327
Jack of all trades, master of none. Or so that's how it is. It's hard for a serious artist to build a following if their sound is constantly changing.
>>
>>75199339
Kanye West
>>
You can create different projects under different names

No one complains that Gorillaz doesn't sound like Blur
>>
>>75199305
>PC music inspired
ew
they're just a bunch of Nakata Yasutaka-worshipping hacks who have never created anything original

anyway, the obvious solution is to use two different artist names
>>
>>75199339
Why are you concerned with building a following when you haven't even made anything yet?
>>
>>75199373
i know I shouldn't be but i'm thinking long term. I don't want something to be a problem down the road that could have been avoided.
>>
Why do you feel you gotta make one album at a time?

If you're right now in the mindset for a specific song then set yourself up and write it.
And if tomorrow your mind is going in another direction go ahead and set it aside for the other album.
>>
>>75200226
That's a great point. I hadn't thought of that.
>>
>>75199392
Like your arrogance?
>>
>>75199339
Literally what Radiohead do.
>>
>>75200284
Hey man, I was pretty good in the classical world. Of course i think I could be good at making my own music if I just sorted out some of these questions I have in my head.

I'm doing all of it pretty much by myself.
>>
>>75200299
>Hey man, I was pretty good in the classical world.
How so?
>>
File: iiac.gif (2MB, 401x225px) Image search: [Google]
iiac.gif
2MB, 401x225px
>>75199305
just make the neo soul one desu, the less hiphop the better
>>
>>75200312
National level in the states. Got my Masters @ SanFran Conserv. Devoted nearly a decade of my life to singing classical art song and opera...Of course I can sing neo soul and electropop, but I was just hesitant and didn't want to put myself in an artistic corner.

It's not arrogance when you've already been to such heights. It's expectation.
>>
If you can do both well, people will have a lot of respect for you. I wouldn't worry about it, just do both if you can.
>>
>>75200326
>National level in the states. Got my Masters @ SanFran Conserv. Devoted nearly a decade of my life to singing classical art song and opera...Of course I can sing neo soul and electropop, but I was just hesitant and didn't want to put myself in an artistic corner.
>It's not arrogance when you've already been to such heights. It's expectation.
None of this matters in pop music
>>
File: dagnabbit.jpg (394KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dagnabbit.jpg
394KB, 1200x1200px
>>75199305
Make whatever the hell you want, stick to conventions if you're more comfortable. You probably won't even recognize where you can change things up to a more refreshing sound until you've already almost made the damn thing
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.