[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Seeing how /mu has gone down the shitter. Let's make a big

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

File: 1468619079659.png (172KB, 721x599px) Image search: [Google]
1468619079659.png
172KB, 721x599px
Seeing how /mu has gone down the shitter. Let's make a big thread everyone can join in on.
When and how did you "get" into music?
>>
File: 4429364.jpg (70KB, 600x528px) Image search: [Google]
4429364.jpg
70KB, 600x528px
>>75188871
>>
>>75188871
I used BOFA
>>
>>75188871
Became a huge Beatles fan at 15, got into The Beach Boys, Billy Joel, Queen, Elton John, etc., then discovered /mu/
>>
First musical experiences were around 5-6 years old, listening to my parent's greatest hits albums on my tape player. Beatles, Eagles, America.

Next musical experiences are 9-10 years old when Limewire comes out and a whole new world of shit is available. Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Metallica

Next is discovering dadrock around 13 and becoming a wrong generation faggot. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd.

Finally get into music when I discover pic related at 15. Makes me think that music can be good as be made after 1980, makes me think rock music and bleep bloops can co-exist. I got into /mu/ around the same time and man when you're just a normalfag pleb, all those /mu/core albums are so exciting and different. I remember hearing Aeroplane for the first time and thinking what the holy fuck is this, but I liked it.

TL;DR: Got into music properly when I discovered /mu/ 10 years ago.
>>
>>
>>75188871
I didn't listen to music for my own enjoyment until I was 17 or so.
>born in 88
>didn't have the ability nor desire to look for music
>only heard billboard top 40 pop music growing up
>other kids in elementary school liked or pretended to like pop and things like limp bizkit, papa roach, sum 41, sublime, blink 182, etc. and they were seen as the cool kids
>they also were the bullies who made fun of me
>so I associated liking music with being cool and thus being mean so I decided music wasn't for me
My parents listened to a lot of good music, but I didn't get into that stuff until I was older because it felt weird to me to like the same music as my parents - not for any teen rebellion reasons; I just feel strange connecting with my parents on things.
I sporadically downloaded Weird Al music from Napster when it became popular and only liked music if it had some kind of novelty.
Around my junior year of high school I downloaded a few dozen things from Limewire onto my iPod: some beatles, avalanches, franz ferdinand, modest mouse, bowie, assorted classical, bob dylan etc.
The first music I got really into was prog rock: Yes, then King Crimson, ELO, and Genesis.
>>
>>75189227
Would you really lump ELO with those prob bands ?
>>
>>75188871
I was raised on classic country music because it's basically the only thing my dad listens to. I began forming my own tastes when we got satellite TV and it came with a bunch of stations that just played music, like today's satellite radio but on the television. Around then I started getting oldies compilation CDs. At the beginning of high school I got an iPod and forced myself to mostly listen to classic rock, but eventually I went back to oldies and country and R&B from the 50's and 60's.That's what I mostly listen to today, albeit more obscure stuff as opposed to just the hits.
>>
File: 1446571063887.png (492KB, 800x770px)
1446571063887.png
492KB, 800x770px
>>75189305
I don't know what else to call them.
Prog is a wide genre - especially when people lump Rush in there too.
>>
>>75189406
Rush is definitely prog. I always thought if ELO as power pop.
>>
>>75189422
They're kind of symphonic pop-rock. Way more radio-friendly than most prog.
>>
>>75189376
>tfw remembering 20 years ago when my favourite songs were "El Paso", "Battle of New Orleans" and "The Auctioneer"
>>
>>75189439
I'll give you that. I always just thought of prog as referring to things like lyrics and song structures rather than the kinds of instruments being used
>>
>>75189422
How is Rush prog? I don't hear any experimentation in their music. It's like some sort of glam jam band stuff.
>>
>>75189683
Lol wot ? They're as prog as you can be.. Did we listen to the same band?
>>
>>75188926
>BOFA
what?
>>
File: Pop-Rocks-Small.jpg (48KB, 269x391px)
Pop-Rocks-Small.jpg
48KB, 269x391px
>>75189722
Right, more prog than Gentle Giant, ELP, and Jethro Tull.
>>
>>75189787
So you're one of those
>>
>>75189227
>Born in 88
>Elementary school like 5-10
>1993-1998
>Other kids pretended to like stuff like Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Blink 182

I mean, at first I wanted to call you a liar, but then I went and looked and I guess they were formed by then, but were they really popular? I mean, those were big things in middle school mostly for me, and you've got five solid years on me. The peak of that sort of thing's popularity was like 2000-2007 to me, at least on a level that elementary schoolers might know about it. Especially in the early internet, pre-Youtube age.

I learned something new, though, took all those sorts a while to get any attention. Interesting.
>>
Gorillaz
From then on I found mu and starting listening to some charts.

I still have a place for them in my heart, although I didn't like Humanz
>>
File: 1500165602448.png (281KB, 371x532px)
1500165602448.png
281KB, 371x532px
>>75188871
Didn't enjoy music for most of my childhood. I remember liking Supertramp's Logical Song, that's about it.
I only really started to like music after I heard Number of the Beast for the first time as a kid. Everything about it was amazing, suddenly I wanted to dive further into music. At the time the only music I was hearing was synth based dance music. I remember finding it repetitive and gave me a headache. Iron Maiden completely blew my mind. It was faster than anything I'd ever heard at the time, sounded on fire, like something from a different world.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.