[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could dance rock be the shot in the arm rock music needs to be

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_1646.jpg (58KB, 344x467px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1646.jpg
58KB, 344x467px
Could dance rock be the shot in the arm rock music needs to be mainstream again?

Think about it, most of the popular music played these days is valued for it's rhythm and danceability, hence EDM and rap being so popular. Could a band like Stone Roses or other 80s rock bands along those lines be successful today with integrating dancing and rock?
>>
dance rock already had a comeback in the 2000s.
>>
>>75147703
no
rock needs some god tier riffs. not shitty dance rank
>>
>>75147875
t. rockist
>>
>>75147875
Dance-rock is basically taking a godly riff and repeating it for 5-8 minutes, though.
>>
music needs to be about killing communists
>>
>>75147863
With who?
>>
>>75147703
why does rock need to be mainstream again? the best rock artists were never popular
>>
>>75148366
whom*
>>
>>75148366
a lot of the brooklyn indie bands like lcd soundsystem, yeah yeah yeahs, mgmt, etc.
>>
>>75148573
I guess to nitpick those are more indietronica bands, most of the rock elements there are buried under synths. It's definitely different from 80's/90's dance-rock like early Blur, Stone Roses, Primal Scream, etc.
>>
>>75148601
maybe stuff like bloc party and franz ferdinand and those bands they had some dance/britrock influences
>>
I really want new wave to come back again.
>>
File: 115747665.jpg (79KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
115747665.jpg
79KB, 1024x1024px
what the world needs is the b-52's
>>
>>75148638
Yeah I feel like those two are closer, but obviously they were closer to the post-punk revival
>>
>>75147703
It's just because rock isn't sexy anymore

Also cheaper to just transport a rapper and maybe his DJ around as opposed to five musicians and all their equipment
>>
The Rapture already tried that 15 years ago and it didn't work.
>>
>>75149944
Alright, I'm going to tell you all a few things. The arena rock excesses of the 70s through the 90s were made possible because the giant baby boomer audience flooded the record industry with a huge glut of cash that allowed them to afford rock music on a giant scale. Although Gen Xers were a lot smaller generation, the money the industry made during the 60s-70s was enough to keep the train rolling up to the turn of the millenium, but gradually the money dwindled and stadium rock faded; it wasn't economically viable anymore.

What we have now is a leaner, but more grounded music world focused on the actual music rather than thousands of dollars worth of makeup and studded leather pants.
>>
>>75147703
QOTSA
>>
>>75149961
They sucked though.
>>
>>75150328
Yeah that's kind of what I implied.
>>
>>75150378
Maybe if a good band did it it would work better.
>>
>>75149944
>It's just because rock isn't sexy anymore
Duh? There's no Elvis or Jagger or David Lee Roth who can melt girls' panties off now. Most guitar bands now are pudding cup indie bands.
>>
>>75147703

I always associate dance rock with the late 80s and early 90s, pre-Nirvana college rock scene. I'd like to see it make a comeback, but I'm not sure how vital it'd be.
>>
>>75147703
Style and rhythmic minutia is secondary to the larger form. Style and rhythm and instruments is dealing with preference and the tools at hand. Thus, any kind of rhythm or style can be danced to but it has to be tied together by the larger form. Eight-bar loops with risers and faders doesn't cut it.

>>75149944
Incessant sub bass isn't sexy either. You need to observe peoples' behavior more carefully and see how little trance-induced convulsion has to do with actual dance. The kind of "dance" happening to trap music and EDM is something like vocabulary with no syntax.
>>
>>75149999
Digits confirm
>>
>>75150611
This, all indie bands these days project the limp wristed whiner image for some reason, no wonder rock is dead when all the rockstars are rappers now.
>>
>>75152467
All the big rock acts in Britain in the 80's/90's were whiney
>>
>>75152513
Shit like Blur and Oasis were also very braggarty though, it was like whining about fame

Most indie bands these days are whining about being kissless virgins
>>
>>75147892
youre getting guillotined right after we kill the landlords
>>
we need a new Blue album
>>
>>75153405
WHO
>>
OP you're definitely onto something. But look at the heavy rap nowadays: it's totally metallic and even hardcore, like early nirvana and nu metal.
Therefore, what rock really needs is to be rhythmic again. What makes this heavy rap shit like smokepurpp, xxxtentacion, ski smask the slump god, lil uzi vert and even asap mob so damn irresistable? They find a hot melody and rhythm and repeat that for the whole fucking song. They find something so goddamn transcendental and riveting that you can play it for 5 minutes without stopping and it's still as gripping.
Where have we seen that before? The riffs of hendrix-era psychadelic rock, black sabbath, fuck, even the beatles knew the importance of repetition.

The truth is, rock bands think way too fucking hard nowadays and think too little. It's like how the academics spend hours trying to reason about the best way to express art, while the lower class just skips that bullshit and expresses itself so sincerely, and genuinely creatively.

You don't nevessarily need a complicated song structure, in fact, that shit can complicate things. If a songs melody and rhythm are strong enough, you can make verse-chorsus-verse-choruses that are way more impactful than pretentious rock music.
>>
>>75147889
Yeah, this is where rap's got it right. Rap music is all about repetition, it's usually more or less the same beat for the whole song. They can pull this off because the melodies/rhythms are so fucking godly it's hard to get used to it even after many reps
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.