[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it too late for me to learn guitar and become as proficient

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: LeoK.jpg (295KB, 954x721px) Image search: [Google]
LeoK.jpg
295KB, 954x721px
Is it too late for me to learn guitar and become as proficient at it as Leo Kottke? I'm turning 23 soon. Am I over the hill?
>>
bump in my ass
>>
>>75141891
okay i'll give up. thank you, anon.
>>
its certainly a challenge if you have no real experience with playing a musical instrument.

that being said, if you are in the zone, on a creative streak, and just really fucking want to learn guitar, you can be decent in a year no problem.

used to get lessons when i was a kid. stopped after a while, only learned the essentials and some basic shit, mostly taught myself.

now when i'm feeling creative or need some kind of output i have the ability to play. it's a great skill and i'm happy i picked it up.

my friend, whose around your age, has just picked up guitar. its a struggle for him for sure, but he's sticking with it.

it's really the first year or 7-8 months that suck. after you get over that hump, and can teach yourself things, its like having a canvas to paint on whenever you want.
>>
>>75141939
thanks for the serious reply. I've been using JustinGuitars lessons and progress has been a lot slower than I'd like, but i'll keep at it then.
>>
>>75142044
honestly online videos arent the best. maybe it's just from my adhd. what i did for a while was watch videos of my favorite bands play and try to see what the guitarist is doing. everyone has their own style, and it's important to develop your own. sometimes those instructional videos just end up seeming forced and unnatural.
some of the best bands started with people who could barely play their instruments- traditional skill and guitar chops arent so important. it's really about what you put into it. the whole technical aspect can remove the most important part of playing an instrument.
>>
I'm 23 man, been playing drums since I was 11, play a decent amount of guitar and bass too.

In my opinion it's never too late to start man, there's that whole 10,000 hours rule where if you invest that much time into learning a skill, no matter what you're gonna be a total sick cunt at it.

Obviously you're not gonna put 10,000 hours into it, but the thing I've learned is that the key is consistency ie. it's much more productive to do 1 hour every day than not touch your guitar all week and do 7 hours on a Sunday. Consistency and patience man, just take your time and accept the fact that you're gonna suck at first, but the more work you put in the more you'll get out of it.

Just remember Jimi Hendrix (or insert whoever the fuck you want) wasn't a guitar god cause he was born with some magical power, it's cause the motherfucker had a guitar in his hand every minute of the day for fucking years.

Start now, or when you're 30 you'll be saying to yourself "fuck man if only I'd started playing guitar when I was 22"
>>
>>75142145
this. all so fucking true.

but lets not forget some mofos are just born with that talent. not everyone can practice every day and end up brian wilson or jimi
>>
>>75142145
same guy

also, if you got the cash, get a fucking teacher. I don't give a fuck what any of these dreamers say, just because X is a famous guitarist and they "never got lessons" doesn't mean that'll work for you. you are not X, you are you. I know hundreds of musos, and the dudes that actually have/had good teachers and practice hard are a million times better than the ones who don't.

Think about it, even the greatest athletes in the world have coaches
>>
>>75142178
gonna respectfully disagree with you homie. if you spend as much time writing songs (Brian) or playing guitar (Jimi) as those guys, I 100% guarantee you'll end up as good as them. you'll never BE them, cause they are them and you are you. but you'd definitely be a Brian or Jimi-level version of yourself
>>
OP here. I'll take these words to heart and get started tomorrow. appreciate it fellas. it all sounds like common sense, but sometimes you need to hear it from someone else for it to get through to you I guess
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.