[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the main difference between what radiohead does and progressive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

what is the main difference between what radiohead does and progressive rock? how are they different?

asking for a friend
>>
>>75105987
Radio head make it music in 3000
>>
Radiohead tend to make songs around 5 minutes long that follow a typical rock Intro/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Bridge/Chorus/Chorus/Chorus structure sans a few significant outliers like Paranoid Android and Treefingers.
>>
Progressive rock is rock music with white people notes, and Radiohead sucks
>>
>>75106663
I agree, but some radiohead tracks like the national anthem or pyramid song sound like they could be on a prog album. is prog more improvisational or something?
>>
I generally think of prog as not only being informed by classical or jazz, but as music that's comprised of multiple contrasting parts. More thought goes into the structure, and the "narrative" (an abstract musical one, even if there isn't an explicit one in the lyrics). How to put the different parts together, how to go from one part to the next, how to bring it all back home. I know it's not the original meaning or intent behind the term, but that kind of "progression" is what makes prog rock "prog" to me.

Radiohead songs don't have that kind of narrative drive, each song does the one thing that it's supposed to do, explores that one idea to the fullest, and then just ends. They're not better or worse for doing that, that's just the way they do things, and to me it's not quite the "prog" way, even though they certainly have a shit ton of things in common with prog (and post-rock, which is basically prog anyway) bands. Radiohead are kinda-sorta lots of different things, but at the end of the day, to me they're just a really really really good alternative rock band, probably the best in the world. They're not prog though, not to me.
>>
>>75105987
For the most part Radiohead isn't really rock anymore. It's definitely progressive though.
>>
>>75106928
Yes, I think that lyrics set radiohead apart from prog the hardest
>>
>>75106987
Eh, not really. You ever listened to Van Der Graaf Generator?
>>
>>75106663
Quite a lot of radiohead's sings don't follow that structure tho. They don't even really have choruses on most songs post the bends or ok computer
>>
>>75106998
>They don't even really have choruses on most songs post the bends or ok computer

How to Disappear Completely
Optimistic
In Limbo
Idioteque
Morning Bell
Motion Picture Soundtrack
I Might Be Wrong
Knives Out
Dollars & Cents
Life in a Glasshouse
Cuttooth
Backdrifts
Go to Sleep
There, There
A Punchup at a Wedding
Myxomatosis
Gagging Order
All I Need
Faust Arp
House of Cards
Last Flowers
4 Minute Warning
Morning Mr. Magpie
Little by Little
Lotus Flower
Separator
Burn the Witch
Decks Dark
The Numbers
Present Tense
True Love Waits
Ill Wind
>>
>>75105987
the main difference is that radiohead's nihilistic moans make them suck in a way that endears them to racists who bash prog
>>
>>75106928
good post
>>
>asking for a friend
lololol
>>
>>75106663
In a World where Rush is considered Progrock that argument is pretty weak.
Ive seen Radiohead being labeled as experimental Rock a lot and even though they are not the most adventurous band out there by any means, i still agree with this, because they pushed their genre like no other artist in the past 20 years.
Isnt that "progressive" in the truest sense of the word?
>>
>>75107139
A lot of those don't have a chorus
Do you even know what a chorus is? There's a difference between a refrain and a chorus.
>>
radiohead is more art rock with electronic and krautrock influences. Getting caught up about the "prog" label is really a waste of time. try to enjoy the music you like without forcing it into a box that makes you feel better about your taste.
>>
Prog rock is a lot about technical skills and large epic movements.

Radiohead excel at composition more than technical skills, most of their songs aren't that hard to play, but they always find a new way to mesh things together in a way that's novel and pushes the boundaries. That's the main thing that distances them from prog rock.

If you want an example of what it'd be like if Radiohead were skill-oriented instead of composition, look no further than Muse.
>>
Paranoid Android is their only prog song
>>
>>75107139

Are u weetodded?
>>
>>75107221

>racists

What? Did you dink out of too many water bottles when you were a kid?
>>
>>75108888
>>75110609
Seems to me like the answer comes down to the personal interpretation of the word progrock.

>Progrock is a lot about technical Skills and large epic movements.
I am no expert, but if this is true then why is Robert wyatt a progressive Rock artist?
I wouldnt categorize Procol Harums Material as technically advanced either.
>>
It's just britpop with fancy bleep bloops mate
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.