[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>3 decent songs What happened? Was it the fact that Bowie

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: iggyvalues.jpg (323KB, 1417x1417px) Image search: [Google]
iggyvalues.jpg
323KB, 1417x1417px
>3 decent songs
What happened? Was it the fact that Bowie didn't partecipate or Iggy's drugs were wearing off?
>>
>>75078373
Yes
>>
>Monkey see, monkey do

>I eat a monkey for breakfast
>I eat a skunk for lunch
>I live in the bush
>I eat with my fingers
>I don’t use no knife and fork ‘cuz I live in the jungle

>I live in the jungle

>I know each tigers
>I know about lions
>I know about the elephants
>I know about everything that lives in the jungle

>I’m an African Man
>I’m an African Man
>I’m an African Man and I do what I can
>I do what I can

>Because I been so strange
>In a blue Kenya sky
>It’s a dirty plague
>Go home you dirty white man
>Go home you, go home you
>Dirty white man
>I hate ya, I hate the white man
>Wanna go back to the jungle again where I came

>What do ya say?

>It’s good in the jungle
>It’s good in the jungle
>It’s good in the jungle

>I know lions
>I know tigers
>I know elephants
>I’m an African Man I don’t eat with my fork
>I use no knife
>I eat with my finger

>Live in the bush
>I live in the bush
>I live in the bush and I’m going to stomp like a >gorilla
>Here I beat my chest

>Live in bush

>Pretty tiger
>Tiger rag
>I know lions
>Eat with fingers
>I live in bush
>I live in bush
>I live in bush
>I live in bush, look up at blue sky
>Blue sky of Kenya
>Airplane up high
>But that airplane is flying too low
>That white man’s airplane is flying too low
>Sometimes things change too slow
Well, I wouldn't imagine the drugs were wearing off
>>
File: ziggy.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ziggy.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
>>75078647
Maybe he was trying new stuff instead of good ol' georgia brown.
>>
>>75078647
The lyrics are dumb but I like the music. It's OG dance-punk
>>
>Was it the fact that Bowie didn't partecipate or Iggy's drugs were wearing off?
Yes to both. Iggy is at his best when he's either working with other people (Bowie, the Ashetons, James Williamson), or is junked out of his mind. Lust for life is an exception, but that was also fueled by post-detox optimism and is kind of a fluke. Clean and on his own, his music just isn't that interesting, which shouldn't be that surprising, since he's mostly regarded for being a frontman and general presence.

I read a biography of Iggy a few years ago, and peaking so early clearly used to bug him. A lot of interviews from the 80s involve him being butthurt about getting worse reviews as a clean solo artist. He seems more okay with it now, but I'm sure it still gets to him. It's to to suck knowing you could release albums like The Idiot and Lust for life within a year of each other, but struggle to make interesting music afterwards.
>>
>>75079100
So he really was laying off the stuff by the time he did this one...
About the early success bothering him, he shouldn't be that annoyed. He was incorporating the "live fast die young" philosophy, so he knew what was waiting for him. But he pulled the break at one place and he kept living. Which I'm glad he did.

Anyway, New Values IS a collaboration with James Williamson, but it's mediocre anyway.
>>
>>75079348
The quote I remember most was something to the effect of "It's great that I was able to make records that people love, but I barely remember doing any of that. Now I'm focused and happy, and I'm still trying to make music, but people aren't responding to it." That's something I can understand. It's obviously for the better that he cleaned up, but it's really got to mess with your head knowing that people only like you when you're fucked up. Clearly, he's found a way to live with that, which is great.
>>
>>75079521
I like Iggy very much and I personally think he has more good than duds in his disco. But he is definitely in his best when he works with someone. Post pop depression was excellent. I think it's because Iggy really has a good ear for music and the fact that he can make anyone sounds good while working with them.
>>
>>75079521
>barely remember doing any of that
Surprise surprise

Yeah. I'm glad he was able to pull through and do some decent stuff.
Still, makes you think how drugs can improve that much the capacity of creating for some artists. Not trying to defend it, but the correlation is clear (Zappa excluded).
>>
>>75079608
like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31kYXDJenSg
>>
>>75079666
>makes you think how drugs can improve that much the capacity of creating for some artists
I don't think it's necessarily the drugs. IMO, tension and hardship in general seems to fuel creativity more, and drugs can be an indicator (or source) or that.

With Iggy specifically, it wasn't just that he cleaned up, he also started living a pretty normal life. He got happily married, bought a nice house, and started living a normal, quiet domestic life. He's happy now and has been for a while, so he lost that source of tension. It's obviously better to live like that, but being comfortable can kill creativity.
>>
File: finaldestination.jpg (203KB, 1322x980px) Image search: [Google]
finaldestination.jpg
203KB, 1322x980px
>>75079797
Yup. Apparently "pain" is good for art.
If somebody asked me in the late 70s how many years Iggy had left, I would've never said more than 10. Life's odd.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.