[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into Jazz? I tried listening to essentials and while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 9

File: miles-davis-9267992-2-402.jpg (260KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
miles-davis-9267992-2-402.jpg
260KB, 1200x1200px
How do I get into Jazz?
I tried listening to essentials and while they're not bad, they do absolutely nothing for me
One album that I really enjoyed was Bitches Brew but that's it
>>
File: 1504035412646.jpg (28KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1504035412646.jpg
28KB, 512x512px
>>75073389
Start by ignoring that hack
>>
Bumping an interesting question
>>
Get into Vocal Jazz first, that's the first step into Jazz
>>
>>75073389
Sounds like my exact situation when starting out in jazz, listen to A Love Supreme until it clicks, but don't try Ascension until you're ready
>>
>>75073389
CONTINUE MY LEGACY, MY SONS
>>
File: haroldshipman.jpg (6KB, 257x159px) Image search: [Google]
haroldshipman.jpg
6KB, 257x159px
>>75073389
>tfw only jazz OP enjoyed is one of the most inaccessible ones.
>>
Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShkZ-Q4qzQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m3qOD-hhrQ
If these don't make you smile then I'm sorry, you're a grooveless man.
>>
>>75073389
Jazz beginner here. Currently marathoning Davis' discography. Very pleased.
>>
>>75073483
desu, I get what he means though. A lot of the more easy to get into Jazz doesn't seem to have a lot happening when you first get into it, whereas the more out-there stuff is more interesting because all sorts of shit is going on
>>
>>75073389

See who played on Bitches Brew and try out their solo albums.
>>
I'd start from the beginning. Check out the early vocalists such as Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday as well as big bands such as Count Basie's and Duke Ellington's.

The first necessary jazz person you should check out is Charlie Parker. The king of bebop, and him and Dizzie basically shaped all of jazz to come.

Hard bop is next. Check out Dexter Gordon, Clifford Brown, Miles Davis' 50s quintet, 50's John Coltrane, etc.

Kind of Blue is more cool jazz, but it's still essential.

I'd check out the more avant-garde bop of the 60s next like Miles Davis' 60s quintet, Wayne Shorter, Joe Henderson in the 60s, Herbie Hancock, and especially 60s Coltrane.

In the 70s, you'll find mostly fusion. I'd check out early Return to Forever, Miles' early 70s albums, Mahavishnu Orchestra, early Weather Report.

80s to 90s jazz is pretty wack (smooth jazz and funk influenced jazz was pretty big).

This all just the east coast bop scene that I am talking about though, there's still third stream like Mingus and west coast jazz that you could check out in all of these decades.
>>
LEGACYYYYYYYYY
>>
>>75073483
lol what
bitches brew was hated on in its day because jazz people thought it was miles pandering to rock fans and making his music more accessible by adding rock rhythms
>>
>>75073389
If you liked Bitches Brew, On The Corner or In a Silent Way might be good.

Other than that, Maiden Voyage, Moanin', Monk's Dream, and My Favorite Things might be solid listens. Just wait till it clicks op.

If you find you really like experimental stuff, check out Dolphy though
>>
>>75073450
That's a horrible way to get into jazz.
>>
File: cover600x600.jpg (84KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
cover600x600.jpg
84KB, 600x600px
Everyone here is wrong, OP. Jazz is pretty much retarded. Don't get me wrong, there's some jamming jazz out there just as Forest Gump is a funny character. I'd suggest starting off with some Fusion! Start with Return to Forever and then go from there.
>>
>>75073632
I need citations
>>
>>75073604
desu grover washington's inner city blues is pretty fucking good.

Other things i enjoy alot are "Coltrane's sound" and "My favourite things" by Coltrane.
Early Bill Evans e.g. explorations ofc. Early 60's Hancock, Mingus' "ah um" and Miles Davis' shit just before he started proper rocking out. Like mid, late 60s.
>>
>>75073633
Dont you think on the corner is quite boring? You heard the extended jack johnson sessions too? pretty much indistinguishable to any funk in the rock/r&b domain but nice to rock out to.
>>
>>75073412
What happened to Herbie Anon? One of the few tripfags I tolerate
>>
>>75073632
Yeah from a jazz perspective but it really isn't accessible. I'll start listening to you when you can show me a melody in that fucking album.
>>
File: IMG_4202.jpg (967KB, 1728x3348px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4202.jpg
967KB, 1728x3348px
Here are a ton of resources. Starting with this chart with the 60's, hard bop, cool jazz, and modal jazz categories will probably be good.

Essential Jazz:
https://mega.nz/#F!ZlJynagS!Jpnh5wBF4zcvBXLpxH2p4A
Essential Jazz-Fusion:
https://mega.nz/#F!dokFRSTa!ExGpvNBgn6lbL4rgF-d3KQ
>>
>>75073765
Haven't heard the extend sessions but I don't think it's boring at all
>>
File: image1.jpg (79KB, 625x621px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
79KB, 625x621px
I'm not a huge jazz guy, but Alice Coltrane is one of my favourite musicians on the planet. Listen to Journey in Satchidananda, and A Monastic Trio
>>
File: 1495349127889.jpg (13KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1495349127889.jpg
13KB, 320x320px
>>75073389
SIMPLE ANSWER:

>if you primarily listen to rock, start with fusion and go from there

>if you listen to cringe jazz rap, start with the artists sampled in the songs you like

>if neither of the above apply to you, >>75073781
>>
>>75073781
great chart.
>>
>>75073389
Dave Brubeck, Duke Ellington and Louis Armstrong (maybe) are the best entry level jazz
>>
>>75073389
Start with the Greeks.
>>
File: cover.jpg (1MB, 1546x1546px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
1MB, 1546x1546px
Honestly, one of the best things you can do is to listen to albums with less players on it, which will let you focus on the players as a group on it. Pic related is one of my favorite quartet albums, simple tunes (for the most part) and you really get a feel for Wayne and Herbie Hancock, which another anon reccomended.
I'd try "At The Pershing/But Not For Me" by Ahmad Jamal as well, it's a jazz trio album so you can focus on the rhythm section complementing Jamals playing. If you enjoyed that, try "The Awakening" next.
>>
>>75073777
He just dropped the trip. He's still on here very frequently.

Hh>>75073412
YOURE THE FUCKING HACK!
>>
>>75073777
he's kinda fun when he posts on /mu/ but holy shit that nigga can be annoying on discord haha
>>
File: trane nip.jpg (739KB, 2230x1111px) Image search: [Google]
trane nip.jpg
739KB, 2230x1111px
>>75073389
baptism by fire. just go full in, dont pussy foot around. listen to pic related, all 4 hours of it on youtube.
>>
>>75073520
this is what i did as well, pretty fun
>>
>>75073811
First time I fully listened to that album, I replaced some huge speakers and sat in between them on shrooms, that was probably the most amazing trip experience I've had. Probably didnt even need the shrooms
>>
>>75073778
Not that anon but Miles' solos are unbelievably singable on tracks like Pharaoh's Dance, Miles Runs the Voodoo Down, etc. the album is filled with powerful, distinctive playing and it's entrancing af.
>>
>>75073389
This is the album that got me into Jazz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLdssYwf-ZI
>>
Listen to associated albums/artists.
Jazz is the easiest genre to find associated acts because everyone draws influence from/listens to everyone. If you liked Bitches Brew, here are some similar records off the top of my head-
Miles Davis - all 70s albums, ESP, Miles in the Sky, In a Silent Way, Bitches Brew Complete Sessions, On The Corner Complete Sessions, In a Silent Way Complete Sessions
Herbie Hancock- Mwandishi Trilogy, Headhunter Trilogy, Mr. Hands
Headhunters (Herbie Hancock alumni) - first two albums
Eddie Henderson (Hancock's trumpet player, arguably a better leader) - Inside Out, Realization
Red Clay (similar fusion album)
Bennie Maupin (Miles Davis alumni) - Jewel in the Lotus
Sun Ra - Lanquidity (no relation)
Wadada Leo Smith - Tabligh (does Miles tributes but this is his original work)
Donald Byrd - Electric Byrd (very influenced by Miles)
Weather Report (Miles alumni) - S/T (first one), Live in Tokyo, Sweetnighter
Wayne Shorter (Miles alumni) - Schizophrenia, Moto Grosso Feio (underrated), Odyssey of Iska (this one is really great), Juju

And theres tons more that I just don't like/don't remember.
Also, you get used to figuring out if you like an album just from skimming. Some people are really against it but I feel it helps, do what feels right for you.
>>
>>75076173
can you rec stereotypical, decadent, cigarette and booze stench slow jazz?
>>
>>75076197
My specialties are Miles associcated fusion and to a lesser degree Blue Note records, so I can't give you as exhaustive a list.
From that list, I would recommend Ghetto Walk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxEXGrOCiPw
Outside of that list but still Miles I would recommend Birth of the Cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8kjOpfMBbM&t=3s
From Blue Note I would recommend The Soothsayer, it's literally about drinking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKH8uXzRNtY
If you have any recommendations in this style or your best-known style I would very much appreciate it.
>>
>>75076326
Thanks, anon. Chet Baker and Bill Evans w/ Jim Hall are all I can rec for this mood, I've just begun listening to jazz.
>>
>>75076478
Thanks muchly
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.