[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Clapton vs Hendrix? Penny for your thoughts on who is the greatest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 12

File: roamingloamin.jpg (11KB, 273x185px) Image search: [Google]
roamingloamin.jpg
11KB, 273x185px
Clapton vs Hendrix?

Penny for your thoughts on who is the greatest guitarist in history and why.
>>
Hendrix is definitely a better guitarist than Clapton wtf.
>>
Hendrix obviously is, I'm amazed this was ever a thing. Clapton wasn't even the best British guitarist in the scene. Not that he's bad, there's just far better than him.
>>
>Clapton
Hendrix destroys him. Why would you ask this question?
Also, option 3: Gilmour
>>
>>75073167
>>75073188
/thread
>>
>>75073188
>>75073167
Who was the best british guitarist?

Hendrix was all style and shazam and dazzlement.

Clapton was clean as fuck and he played every note. Hendrix fucking dribbled all over his guitar and made the thing vomit weird sounds which why people like him. But clapton could really play man. Every note.

Ive said this before on /sci/. Guitarists have the luxury over say a pianist that they don't have to play every note. They can just use overdrive, distortion, pedals to play with hammer ons tiul the cows come home. But a great guitar player plays every fucking note clean and you hear it.

Hendrix was sloppy.
>>
>>75073195
This thread isnt limited to those two btw. I dont really know Gilmour desu. Example of him playing?
>>
File: images (1).jpg (11KB, 168x299px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
11KB, 168x299px
YNGWIE MALMSTEEN!!!
>>
>>75073229
Clapton hasn't done anything even remotely interesting after Cream.
>>
>>75073323
>Clapton hasn't done anything even remotely interesting after Derek & the Dominoes
Fixed that for you
>>
>>75073254
I'm almost certain that you've heard something from Gilmour before.
A few of my favorite Gilmour solos are on "Dogs" by Pink Floyd.
I think Gilmour is a really versatile and classy lad.
He came into a band right after its frontman went insane, he immediately began playing and writing material for said band, he stayed with the band after it lost its SECOND frontman, and he stayed level headed even though his mates were tearing themselves apart.
Plus, he could handle a guitar with the best of them.
>>
>>75073229
I don't want to point to one and say "he's the best" but IMO Jeff Beck, Peter Green and the like were more interesting guitarists than Clapton
>>
File: Paul_Gilbert_-_1.jpg (558KB, 1067x800px) Image search: [Google]
Paul_Gilbert_-_1.jpg
558KB, 1067x800px
PAUL GILBERT!!!
I choose technical ability over sloppy guitar pedal garbage (Hendrix)
>>
>>75073323
Thats not the point. Mike bloomfield hasn't dont much interesting coz he stuck to blues but hes still a better guitarist than Hendrix.

Look at Claptons albert hall performance. Particularly Sunshine of your love. Shows his class.
>>
These comparisons are pointless. What you should do with these threads is to encourage people to discover other guitar players. Preferably those who aren't necessarily "rock" guitar players.
>>
If Clapton died when he was 27, then we could've make this comparison.
>>
>>75073348
I remember a decent solo on dark side of the moon somewhere. or a couple. Only other pink floyd i really listened to was their first album.
>>
Hendrix still kicks ass to this day while Clapton's bluesy dadrock puts me to sleep
>>
>>75073156
at least Hendrix never lowered himself by playing the sappiest ditties to exist
>>
File: Holy Iommi.jpg (85KB, 500x561px) Image search: [Google]
Holy Iommi.jpg
85KB, 500x561px
GOD
>>
>>75073295
Another one of those guys that just uses hammer on's and shit to dribble over his guitars. Go back to kindergarten.
>>
>>75073419
Oh okay.
Gilmour wasn't in the band yet at the time of their first album, but yeah, Dark Side is strewn with good solos. Gilmour's solo material isn't the best, but that doesn't change his technical talent. And the Floyd solos really do him justice.
>>
>>75073394
Sorry, but Clapton is a boring, boring guitarist. He became the living embodiment of "old white guy who plays sterile blues guitar".
>>
>>75073229
>Hendrix fucking dribbled all over his guitar and made the thing vomit weird sounds which why people like him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyuqWFqyJ0E
Eat shit.
>>
>>75073370
Have you seen that youtube video of beck and clapton playing further on up the road (or w.e.) together. I feel beck was sloppier.
>>
>>75073396
why? Im interested in rock/blues guitar. Id say if i wanted the best classical guitar and too out there i wouldnt get any replies.
>>
>>75073525
I'm sure discussing same things over and over again will resurrect this board.
>>
>>75073490
Your judgement is clouded by his overdrive. He is sloppy man. He literally is dribbling over the guitar to make weird sounds and he is creative. But they aren't the technical beauty of clapton. Again, look at 2005 sunshine of your love clapton guitar. Beautiful work. Hendrix here barely even plays his notes.
>>
>>75073606
Im not doing shit for the board, im doing it for me.
>>
>>75073608
>Clapton
>Technical playing
kek.
>>
>>75073156
Like Dionysus and Apollo. One represents excess and raw passion to the highest degree, while the other is about crisp, economic and technical brilliance .
Personally, I prefer Hendrix because I think rock was meant to be played channeling one's excess, passion and raw power.
>>
>Be Eric Clapton
>Want to be Robert Johnson
>Am not Robert Johnson
>Be sad
>Want to be black
>Am not black
>Try playing guitar like black man
>Play the pentatonic doodly doos and bendy bends
>Play 5% cleaner than Buddy Guy, so people respect me and not him
>People start calling me God
>Is God black?
>Probably not important
>Jimi Hendrix appears
>People stop calling me God
>Want to be Jimi Hendrix
>Am not Jimi Hendrix
>Be sad
>Oh yeah and I guess my idiot son drowns in a bathtub or some stupid shit, I write a shitty song about it because I'm a hack
>>
>>75073335
Blind Faith were alright.
>>
>>75073608
You're just wrong man. What you call "dribbling" is known as rhythm. If you think hendrix is a sloppy player all the time you haven't heard the wind cries mary or little wing or red house or all along the watchtower or literally any fucking studio hendrix song.
>>
>>75073664
care to contribute rather than implicit handwaving?
>>
>>75074188
His studio shit is still sloppy. Those songs sound nice but they still sloppy. And no, i know what rhythm is faggot.
>>
>>75073156

>tfw the greatest guitar duo of all time is actually a guitar and a harmonica.

Paul butterfield is the greatest guitarist of all time and he didn't even have one.
>>
>>75074270
People are implying that Hendrix was a drooling idiot, yet I'm the one who's handwaving. baka
>>
>>75073156
if we're talking about 60s guitarists, then
Blackmore, easily
>>
>best guitarist thread
Popping in to say John Fahey
>>
>>75073156

>tfw no one knows chet atkins.
>>
>>75073335
>after Derek & the Dominoes

the only interesting thing was inviting Duane Allman to play on the album
>>
>>75073229
>all style and shazam and dazzlement.

pleb reading for sure...he had tremendous rhythm and great feel for the blues
>>
>>75073375
>I choose technical ability over sloppy guitar

but you didnt choose Steve Vai
>>
File: EVHdestroyer.jpg (97KB, 700x715px) Image search: [Google]
EVHdestroyer.jpg
97KB, 700x715px
>>75073156
>>
>>75073229
you have a lot of reason t b h.
I would say clapton is a better guitarrist but hendrix is a better songwriter. like somebody there says, clapton did nothing interesting besides cream and his collaboration with other artists, and don't get me wrong, I love cream but hendrix was a riff machine, and he did have a really beautiful melody sense. hendrix was mostly about feel it, clapton about do it the best he can, and a more complete guitarrist. both really nice guitarrist but a I personally preffer hendrix.
>>
>>75074934
Hey look, someone in this thread who's not just shilling
>>
>Clapton on Hendrix
I don't really want to be critical about it. I think Jimi can sing very well; he just puts it around that he can't sing and everyone accepts it. I think he can sing very well. I also think he's a great guitarist. I don't like to watch him too much 'cause I prefer to listen to him.

When he first came to England, you know English people have a very big thing towards a spade. They really love that magic thing, the sexual thing. They all fall for that sort of thing. Everybody and his brother in England still sort of think that spades have big dicks. And Jimi came over and exploited that to the limit, the fucking tee. Everybody fell for it. Shit.

I fell for it. After a while I began to suspect it. Having gotten to know him, I found out that's not where he's at, not where he's at at all. That stuff he does on stage, when he does that he's testing the audience. He'll do a lot of things, like fool around with his tongue and play his guitar behind his back and rub it up and down his crotch. And he'll look at the audience, and if they're digging it, he won't like the audience. He'll keep on doing it, putting them on. Play less music. If they don't dig it, then he'll play straight 'cause he knows he has to. It's funny. I heard that here he came on and put on all that shit in his first set and people were just dead towards it. And in his second set he just played, which is great.

He had the whole combination in England. It was just what the market wanted, a psychedelic pop star who looked freaky, and they're also still hung up about spades and the blues thing was there. So Jimi walked in, put on all the gear, and made it straight away. It was a perfect formula. Underneath it all, he's got an incredible musical talent. He is really one of the finest musicians around on the Western scene. If you just scrape away all the bullshit he carries around you'll find a fantastically talented guy and a beautiful guitar player for his age.
>>
>>75073156
john fahey beats them both
>>
>>75074401
this
>>
Zappa
>>
>>75074934
>>75074934
You're right, he is more boring but i do love his soloing in cream and also john mayall he had good stuff. I think Mike Bloomfield maybe a better compromise in the sense that he played clean technical guitar but despite not being well known, has a much bigger inventory of good guitar work, was a more genuine, conventional blues player, pushed more boundaries (e.g. his modal jazz style playing) and i'd say had more active contributions with other artists (e.g. big contributor to Bob Dylan's electrification) . Hes not a guy who leads from the front with big muscular riffage like clapton so his contributions are always more subtle in pop records because if he's not soloing, he slips in with the rhythm section.

Highlights:
Killing floor
Albert's Shuffle
That's alright ma (Live)
Maggie's farm (Live Dylan)
Work song
Born in Chicago (Notable for Paul butterfield who plays the harmonica like joint lead guitar.)
>>
The only reason I even know Clapton's name is because of Sunshine of Your Love and Layla.
Outside of that, I don't give a shit about him.
>>
>>75075168
Fahey's a different kind of player.
>>
>>75075334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smRXnyUWktg

also love the solo on this
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (689KB, 3000x2002px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
689KB, 3000x2002px
>>
File: mark knopfler.jpg (102KB, 736x994px) Image search: [Google]
mark knopfler.jpg
102KB, 736x994px
y'all are plebs. here's the true king
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 205x246px
>implying
>>
>>75075334
You're goin to kill me but I don't know much about bloomfield, I mean, I know just the classics contributions on PBBB and on random songs, I did really enjoy the "don't say ain't your man" compilation, I'll check out some about him, thanks.

>Hes not a guy who leads from the front with big muscular riffage like clapton

pretty much guitar is all about be glamorous as you can, solos are the most egocentrical thing that you can do in a gig, but we love'em. sometimes studio musicians are underated for that same reason, rock is all about stage presence, beside some rare examples, like fripp, who plays sit on a chair.
>>
Clapton isn't even in the same galaxy as Hendrix.
>>
>>75073229
>But a great guitar player plays every fucking note clean and you hear it.
Must be sad to be such a pleb and not have a varied approach to listening and understanding music
>>
>>75073466
man, his alternate picking is impeccable
go reconsider your opinions
>>
>>75074344
You actually dont. Stop calling things sloppy because they dont fit into your chunk a chunk rhythm paradigm.
>>
>>75073229
>They can just use overdrive, distortion, pedals to play with hammer ons

you don't even know what you're talking about lmao
>>
>>75073466
I fuckin hate Malmsteen but you have no idea what you're talking about dude
>>
>>75074344
shit taste mate
hendrix is playing with his soul, technical skill is boring as hell and for people who aren't one with their instrument
>>
File: Homer Laughing Gif.gif (168KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
Homer Laughing Gif.gif
168KB, 375x375px
>Eric Clapton in contention for greatest guitarist of all time
>>
>>75077312
this
>>
File: 830.jpg (15KB, 240x280px) Image search: [Google]
830.jpg
15KB, 240x280px
Are you guys arguing about who's second best? Because the first spot is obviously his.
>>
>>75077282
>technical skill is boring as hell and for people who aren't one with their instrument
yeah it's true for popular artists, not for everyone else
>>
File: 051c97b0like-nathan.jpg (19KB, 401x271px) Image search: [Google]
051c97b0like-nathan.jpg
19KB, 401x271px
Eric Clapton is the most respected wigger in all of music
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.