[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>greatest jazz label of all time >now only releases smooth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4197.png (2KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4197.png
2KB, 225x224px
>greatest jazz label of all time
>now only releases smooth jazz and shitty hip hop fusion

Are any of their releases from the past 10 years worth hearing? Where did things go so wrong?
>>
>>75052916
jazz is dead
>>
>>75052916
is that the new paramore album
>>
>>75052916
They are trying to turn a profit. I suppose you can see where that seems to fit with following the classic "Blue Note" style since even in the 60's when they were putting out their most avant-garde stuff, they were still making money from soul jazz releases from Lou Donaldson and others.

But the times have changed, and apparently the only way to turn a profit is to REALLY pander to the lowest common denominator with this kind of hip hop and vocalist stuff.

So if you want good jazz you've got to look at the labels that aren't actually making money. Criss Cross is the best one still making acoustic, small-group jazz made with just a short time in the studio in the true Blue Note tradition.
>>
the original Blue Note legacy really ended at latest in 1979 when EMI got ownership and phased out the label for years and really already in the early 70's when Francis Wolff and Alfred Lion retired - these days it's basically new music with some jazz connection released by a major label who also happens to own the rights to the old catalog

that said, I think contemporary Blue Note has a better batting average than other brands in a similar situation like Impulse! and OKeh - there's some great contemporary jazz on Blue Note from the likes of Ambrose Akinmusire, Brian Blade Fellowship and Jason Moran
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.