[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>90s and 2000s >Singles chart was mostly pop, but there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Bjork_EB.jpg (109KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Bjork_EB.jpg
109KB, 1600x1000px
>90s and 2000s
>Singles chart was mostly pop, but there were plenty of alternative, indie, pop-experimental, industrial, alt hip hop, trip hop, whatever else artists that occasionally had crossover hits
>2010s
>Singles chart is literally exclusively pop, EDM and pop-rap

Why is this?

Pic related, Bjork is one example of an artist that had many crossover hits in the 90s but would never have been so successful is she was releasing those songs as a young artist in the 2010s.
>>
>>75000949
>Björk
>crossover hits

... Also, music is just garbage nowadays, there's no good artist, just face it faggot. That's why edmpopraptrap meme shit dominates the charts, because those guys know how to sell music while actual talented guys waste away their music because "le art xDd".

There's no good musicians in rock/indie nowadays. And if they got some chops they're fucking bandcamp weirdos.

Rock is dead now.
>>
>>75001028
>Björk has had 30 singles reach the top 40 on pop charts around the world, with 22 top 40 hits in the UK, including the top 10 hits "It's Oh So Quiet", "Army of Me", and "Hyperballad".

I don't care about rock, per se. I just would like to see some music that piques my interest on the charts. We used to have it. But these days the ONLY songs that perform particularly well are those that have some form of generic EDM dance beat.

It's even worse in Europe, where the tastes are even further narrowed because Europeans hate hip hop and only listen to dance music.
>>
>>75001028
Rock is dead commercially
>>
yeah I find this odd, after listening to Björks discography you could never imagine her having commercial success nowadays. I guess because the 90s was a transitional time? pop was coming out of its dance phase in the 80s and just starting to find its electronic sound?
>>
>>75001127
Probably. The 80s was definitely similar to now in that if you couldn't dance to it in a club, it generally didn't sell super well. Though the major exception was the success of cheesy rock and hair metal bands.

Something has happened since 2010 that has made it almost impossible for what used to be referred to as "crossover hits" to occur. Artists used to strive for years to create that one song that would be listened to across fans of multiple genres, and be played on mainstream radio. That is now impossible it would seem, because users of streaming services will flock only and overwhelmingly to songs that fit on their house party and club playlists, which are EDM and pop-EDM songs.
>>
>>75001127
Björk, Kate Bush, Siouxsie and such artists would at best achieve cult status today for sure.
>>
How about we discuss the fact that Björk's new album is going to be the new Vespertine...
>>
You forget that time filters out the shit and leaves us with the good stuff. Nobody will remember all the painfully boring, slow as fuck, wannabe Pearl Jam alt. rock from the mid 90s. From what I see as well, just the way people listen to music has changed. Normies can have surprisingly diverse taste, but one side of that is less passionate fans that are likely to get the sales/streams required to be considered a pop hit. On the whole, the industry has just changed and the way people see music has changed. It's easier than ever to have a diverse taste because it's so easy to seek out and listen to new stuff. So to end up with a pop hit, you have to be as broad as possible when throwing your net. I reckon that's why radio pop in 2017 is such a fucking weird blend of trap/EDM/surface level sad rap and reggaeton.
>>
>>75001127
The 90's were an interesting period for music desu. Rock was still very much alive and a big thing, but it wasn't overwhelming and all-encompassing. Electronic was peering through, and making some waves. Meanwhile, hip hop was having its mainstream breakthroughs beyond black communities, and R&B was still reasonably popular. Everything got mixed up together, there were rock hits and pop hits and R&B hits and electronic hits and hip hop hits, and they all sort of were together in a big mass. Then you take into consideration that the Internet was just starting, so more people had access to music they would never have heard of, but it wasn't as prevalent as it is nowadays, so you still had scenes that weren't just almost indistinguishable.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.