[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"If you're a music student and you haven't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2911.jpg (150KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2911.jpg
150KB, 1280x720px
>"If you're a music student and you haven't sat down and listen to this entire record at least four times. Then your musical education is woefully incomplete"

Do you guys agree with Fantano?
>>
No, he doesn't know shit. It's a good album, but it's an irrelevant album. If he weren't selling himself literally to /mu/, which is where he's from, he would have said this about an actual significant album, like something classical. Pretty sure he's never reviewed classical music.
>>
That's a quote from the musical composer talking about TMR. From this, I can infer you're trying to expose /mu/'s pettiness.
>>
I'm pretty sure he's never fucking said this.
>>
>>74961964
Stopped watching when he said
>"At parts, it sounds like the bass and drum are playing two completely different songs"
How can the internet's busiest music nerd know nothing about how Trout Mask Replica was made. With the recent stuff going on with him I'd be willing to bet he's never actually listened to it.
>>
>>74962037
I'm pretty sure you're a lying anon.
>>
>>74961994
>Pretty sure he's never reviewed classical music.

He reviewed The Epic. Not classical but it's close.
>>
>>74962094
wtf are you on about. Jazz is a form of popular music, especially with something like the epic. That is no more close to classical music then him talking about TMR
>>
>>74962153
It's already been established that Anthony Fantano knows jackshit about music. I would absolutely love to see him tackle a Jazz standard or a string quartet.
He showed how much of a dumbass he is simply with his review of The Epic and Trout Mask Replica.
>>
>>74962153
You know it's pseudo intellectual when they vaguely use the term classical music and popular music.
I resign further discussions with you.
>>
Listening to the single track from this album is waste of time, let's end this meme and admit it was a mistake
>>
>>74962224
Not that guy, but give it a break. Everyone learned that there were different eras of classical music years and years ago. Then, very quickly, they realized this wasn't hip insider info and continued to recognize the usefulness of colloquialisms
>>
>>74961994
>classical
>good
pick one
>>
>>74962357
>t. never listened to Classical music
>>
>>74962064
Cut him some slack, Anon. He's busy
>>
>>74962224
>You know it's nonintellectual when they vaguely use the term pseudo intellectual
I resign further discussions with you.
>>
>>74961964
It's not a randomly made album, but it's not interesting to listen to the entire thing in one go.
>>
>>74962064
>With the recent stuff going on with him

context?
>>
>>74963187
Some tweets he made about the new LCD Sound System album if I'm not mistaken. The time two specific tweets were posted are leading people to believe he didn't actually finish the record.
>>
>>74962103
Why are you comparing classical music to Trout Mask Replica? And why are you implying that all other genres besides classical music and jazz are worthless?
>>
>>74963458
He's anon is a moron who's trying to seem smart.
These people are a joke.
>>
>>74963221
I don't blame him. not worth listening to, much less reviewing
>>
>>74961964
He never said that
>>
Yeah, no, that was this professor of music composition in his captain beefheart analysis video
https://youtu.be/-FhhB9teHqU
>>
>>74964099
school of life but for music
>>
>>74964307
Oh, you read philosophy do you? And know more about modern classical music than Samuel Andreyev?
>>
>>74961994
but /mu is cointelpro bro
>>
>>74961994
Classical music is boring to talk about.
>>
>>74961994
Fuck off, TMR is awesome. If people don't know about it it's their fault for being pleb, but that doesn't make it less significant.
>>
>>74964416
not when your musical vocabulary extends beyond muh feelings
>>
>>74964450
You think you're smart?
*slaps you*
Smarter than me,huh?!
*pushes u on the ground*
Fucking nerd
*kicks sand in ur face repeatably*
>>
>>74964450
Sorry you can't face the truth. Even people who enjoy it don't give a shit about talking about it. It has an intensely limited sonic palette.
>>
>>74964542
not more so than any one genre really, you can only get a greater sonic palette by genre mixing
>>
>>74964384
"modern classical" IE degenerate jew shit.
>>
>>74964659
oh, so you're just retarded
>>
>>74964673
t. pseud
>>
>>74962214
What's wrong with his The Epic review?
>>
>>74961964
>not attributing that quote to our lord and savior Samuel Andreyev but instead attributing it to fantananano
good post OP, I like it (you)
>>
>>74962064
he's right though
that's what the tracks sound like
>>
>>74963979
it's from this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FhhB9teHqU
>>
>>74964739
There's little to no difference between them anyway
>>
>>74964776
its already been posted
>>
>>74964779
not tru. one of them pretends to be a composer and the other is a pretty good meme.
>>
>>74964591
"greater" I said nothing about greater. Also, classical music has had its place in the spotlight for longer than most modern music has even existed. Nothing else needs to be said by Fantano as it would just be redundant. He's not just a music reviewer, but a culture writer.
>>
>>74964761
Yes, but he didn't acknowledge that it was intentional. He made it sound like it was completely accidental and the tone in which he said it made it sound like it retracts from experience. When in reality it is incredibly complex and difficult to master let alone play.
If he knew the slightest bit about how the album was composed and recorded he'd see it as a positive and that it's intentional, not some accident.
>>
>>74964823
>pretends to be a composer
Do you realise he's actually a composer right?
>>
>>74964841
>"greater" I said nothing about greater.
wot
anyhow, fantano should just review whatever he feels like
>>74964901
its le modern classical isnt REAL music meme
>>
>>74964496
*teleports behind you*
*impales you with katana*

heh... nothing personnel kid
>>
>>74961994
TMR was in fact a really important album in the history of music anon.
>>
>>74963221
No need to finish a fucking LCD Soundsystem record to realize it's hot garbage.
>>
Why can't we all be friends?
>>
>>74965912
A decline of community.
>>
File: me.png (404KB, 696x475px) Image search: [Google]
me.png
404KB, 696x475px
I am a composer, poet, teacher and performer. My music is performed, broadcast, recorded and written about worldwide, and is known for its expressive intensity, spirit of exploration and enormous range of timbres. Resolutely independent, my compositional process is marked by a rigourous perfectionism, with many projects taking years to reach completion.
I studied composition with Allain Gaussin in Paris, then at the Conservatoire de Paris, where I obtained a masters degree in composition under Frédéric Durieux, and a prix d’analyse under Claude Ledoux. I also studied electroacoustics at IRCAM from 2011-12. My composition Night Division was awarded the grand prix of the Concours Henri Dutilleux in 2012. In the same year, I was awarded a one-year residency at the Casa de Velázquez in Madrid. Frequently sought after as a guest lecturer, I teach privately and in many conservatories and universities across Europe and North America.
>>
didn't he review it negatively at first?
>>
>>74961994
I agree, Fantano has very limited taste,
>>
>>74961964
I think the thing that turns most people off from this is the shitty vocals. It's great as an instrumental piece but the vocals are excruciating.
>>
>anthony "if its not made by blacks its shit" fagtano
>anthony "i want bbc" fagtano
>anthony "i grew up with black music" fagtano
lmao kys
>>
>>74966072
What the deal with him? I saw his video on the TMR and i found it great, and very informative.
>>
>>74962094
>he never reviewed classic
>he reviewed The Epic
>proceeds to point out that it's not classical
then shut the fuck up! its not classical!
>>
>>74969628
The epic is actually classical in the sense of provision and theory....
>>
>>74969660
shut. the. fuck. up.
>>
>>74962094
>>74962357
>>74964416
Stop posting any time
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.