[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Raw Power [Columbia/Legacy, 1997] Strict constructionists and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: christgau1med.jpg (18KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
christgau1med.jpg
18KB, 400x266px
Raw Power [Columbia/Legacy, 1997]

Strict constructionists and lo-fi snobs charge indignantly that by remixing his own album Iggy has made a mockery of history and done irreparable damage to a priceless work of art. This is really stupid. Before it was anointed the Platonic idea of rock and roll by desperate young men who didn't have much else to choose from, first-generation Iggyphiles charged just as indignantly that David Bowie had mixed the real thing way too thin--as Iggy observes, this classic-by-comparison always sounded "weedy" (although, not to insult a valued colleague, "David's" version was also "very creative"). So the pumped bass and vocals Iggy has uncovered on the original tapes, which were supposed to coexist with their high-end screech to begin with, are a quantum improvement. Plus you can finally hear the celeste on "Penetration"--sounds great! Only the slow ones, which like all of Iggy's slow ones are not as good as his fast ones, stand between a statement of principle and a priceless work of art. A-

>actually defending this ear rape remix

Fuck you Christgau, you hack.
>>
makes sense that you would be offended, iggy is pure neo-male repellent
>>
To be fair, this album was never destined to sound good.
>>
>>74889198
>iggy is pure neo-male repellent
This meme has passed its sell date by now.
>>
>>74889287
my neo-male senses are tingling
>>
Wasn't Bowie coked out of his mind when they mixed the thing originally?
>>
>>74889086
anyone got a link to this mix? i have only been able to find the bowie one
>>
>>74889331
Huh? It's right on Youtube. Just search for "raw power 1997".
>>
Either Iggy or Christgau or both were starting to lose their hearing by the late 90s from decades of loud music.
>>
>>74889467
Must be why Iggy cranked the gain up to 10.
>>
so literally just listen to the original you fucking spastic
>>
Rough Power has the only listenable mix of Search & Destroy
>>
The title cut and S&D are the only good songs on there anyway, the rest of the album is just filler.
>>
File: 1279876.jpg (25KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1279876.jpg
25KB, 300x300px
>>74889086
there's a big difference between revisionist history and more than one vision providing multiple options
that said, plenty of records from the 80's that sound like shit sonically - if not musically - to my ears, he gave the thumbs up to. that includes a bunch of botched NoNoise "remasters" from the '90s. I'm guessing his anti-prissiness can become ideological to the point of not caring if the coffee tastes like shit, so long as it has some kick to it.
>>
I remember he bombed Soul-Crusher when it was praised by a lot of people including Iggy Pop and Kurt Cobain. Christgau just totally failed to understand that album at all.
>>
>>74889086

the record store day remaster of the 1997 remix is the one, it's not brickwalled to shit but has more edge than the Bowie version , it's spot on
>>
>>74889996
Oh well, you win some you lose some. He was one of the few critics who didn't pan Madonna's S/T in 1983, he saw the potential there that everyone else missed.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.