[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Stairway to Heaven the most overrated song of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

File: Front.jpg (1MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
1MB, 1500x1500px
Is Stairway to Heaven the most overrated song of all time?

If not, what is?
>>
Bohemian Rhapsody
>>
Overrated AND overplayed!
>>
>>74867275
Despacito
>>
It might be a bit overrated, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a fantastic song.
>>
Probably Bohemian Rhapsody? March of the Black Queen was better.
>>
Hello- Lionel Richie
>>
>>74867331
wow fuck you
>>
File: blink.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
blink.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>74867331
>>
>>74867275
>thinking stairway to heaven is overrated

You obviously don't play guitar.
>>
>>74867275
It's not just that that's the most overrated song I can think of, it's also the most overrated album. At least other overrated albums are actually good, this is just shit, although the last track is pretty good.
>>
WELLL WAHATEEEVAAA NEVVVVAMINDDDD
>>
>>74867378
The guitar on this song isn't good in the slightest
>>
>>74867275
freebird
>>
>>74867275
A bit overrated, but some of it comes as a result of being overplayed. I mean, even Led Zeppelin (esp Plant) hate it.
But it does have to have some appeal to make it to "overplayed" status.....
>>
>instrumental version
> came out before album version
> how can be?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd8AVbwB_6E
>>
>>74867532
Led zep sampled before it became cool
>>
Stairway to Heaven is a good song, it's just literally the most played song in the history of FM radio and became a parody of itself.

Bohemian Rhapsody is actually garbage.
>>
>>74867412
>considered one of the greatest guitar solos ( and song ) ever by multiple musicians
> "haha the guitar is bad"

Nice comeback
>>
>>74867532
I don't even need to click to know this is Spirit - Taurus. The only people who think they sound similar are people who don't know how to play guitar.
>>
>>74867378
lol what are you, a ten year old issue of guitar world magazine?
>>
>>74867532
Is the whole taurus album like that? sounds just like what i need
>>
>>74867625
how does skill level on a particular instrument qualify you to say that 2 melodies sound similar? stop sucking your own dick because you play the guitar, you're just going to make more stupid and embarrassing posts
>>
>>74867309
this
>>
>>74867731
They have literally three notes in common. The progression, tempo, melody and pattern are all different. Saying it's a ripoff because it "feels" similar is indicative of the fact you don't know anything about making music.
>>
>>74867624
>considered one of the best guitar solos
>is mostly pentatonic
It's pretty uninteresting, listen to some actual prog or fusion for great guitar work. Robert Fripp and John McLaughlin have absolutely amazing solos, "21st Century Schizoid Man" and "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part One" have some of the best guitar work I've ever heard. Those two songs (both King Crimson) are both more technically difficult and more musically interesting. "Stairway to Heaven" has guitar work that isn't too much more complex than "Smells Like Teen Spirit" (nothing wrong with simplicity, but I'm not going to call the solo in Teen Spirit the greatest ever, and it's the same situation with Stairway, except the latter is less interesting to me).
>>
>>74867782
lol see? i told you that's what you would do. also i'm sure i know more about making music than some fuckwank guitar kiddo on a malaysian sciatica relief forum
>>
>>74867782
It is a ripoff, it's the same chord progression, and it fits with Zeppelin's history.
>>
>>74867532

No. Proven in court to be a false claim.
>>
>>74867854
currently being appealed
>>
File: IMG_0916.jpg (137KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0916.jpg
137KB, 960x960px
>>74867841
>>
File: 1403325836293.gif (586KB, 200x136px) Image search: [Google]
1403325836293.gif
586KB, 200x136px
>>74867625
>>74867631
>>74867731
>>74867782
>>74867812
>>74867817
>>74867841
>>74867854
>>
Bohemian Rhapsody, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Mr Brightside and almost every MJ number one are more overrated
>>
>>74867868
XDD NERDZ JUST DONT KNOW HOW TO RAWK \m/ \m/ \m/
>>
>>74867625
> struck a nerve in this one
Sorry about your autism, may medical science find a cure so you can laugh once again.....
>>
>>74867275

Its not overrated per se...in its time it was groundbreaking. It became a cliche but cliches originate from some truth.

As others have noted, being sick to death of it does not mean it isnt an amazing song.
>>
Don't Stop Believin
>>
>>74867886
>Mr Brightside
i dunno,, i think the obnoxiously popular killers song was all these things that i have done. i think people just liked singing along to that stupid fucking "i got soul but i'm not a soldier" part even though that doesn't make any sense or mean anything
>>
>>74867275
Like A Rolling Stone
>>
>>74867859

...and your point? The Court has ruled and just because the claimants cant accept the verdict doesnt mean the verdict is wrong.
>>
>>74867275
i prefer misty mountain hop on that album
>>
Stairway To Heaven is good, actually
>>
>>74867956
yes, because every trial goes flawlessly the first time and nobody has ever won an appeal.
>>
>>74867841
>It is a ripoff

There is vague similarity in the first few chords other than that the songs are NOTHING alike.

Its true asshatery to believe its a "ripoff".

Zeppelin ripoffed a lot of songs. This isnt one of them
>>
>>74867982

so you cant accept the verdict either- triggered!
>>
>all this defensively claiming that the 2 songs couldn't have possibly been at all related to each other even though they toured together and led zeppelin are known plagiarists
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddpl1zl5sYg

thread theme song
>>
>>74867275
Pachelbel's Canon
>>
>>74867950
To be honest all their hits are overrated, but Mr Brightside is their biggest hit, and therefore the most overrated in my opinion. It's not even a horrible song, just completely boring and average. It sounds like every indie pop song ever yet it's so unbelievably pooular. I just don't get it.

I work in a nightclub and every time that song comes on (which is every night), eveyone goes nuts with excitement and sings every single line. Baffling.
>>
>>74868000
It's not even the first few chords. It's literally one chord and the aregiation. It's lasts for one second and consists of 3 notes. Anyone who actually supports Spirit in this case is a moron who only does so because "Le led zeplin is le reddit dadrock xd."

It actually has very dangerous implications if we allow musicians to be sued because their music "feels" similar. Same thing with that Robin Thicke/Marvin Gaye case.
>>
>>74867309
this or Wonderwall
>>
>>74868021
lol have you even looked up why it's being appealed yet or are you too busy trying to convince everyone how emotionally uninvested you are in this?
>>
>>74867868
This isn't a common chord progression, there are many chord progressions that are common, but this is the same chord progression, same key, similar arpeggiation (I don't know a better word), and knowing Zeppelin's past of ripping music off, this seems likely to be ripped off
>>
>>74867912
It's just not that good of a song, and in what way was it groundbreaking?
>>74868060
It's not the first few chords, it's the whole progression
>>
>>74868060
There's a clear difference here between "feeling similar" and being obviously stolen dude
>>
>>74868818
No it isn't. They have three notes (NOTES, not CHORDS) in common and are of a different tempo and time signature. They have literally nothing in common.

>>74869239
In this case it's the former.
>>
>>74867854
Funny thing about that: the defense involved something paraphrased in the effect of "we were all way too high to remember anything from those concerts". They also claimed that it was a "timeless tune" that goes way back.

That being said, this thread is lame as fuck. This "overrated" bullshit in general is the lamest shit anyone can ever argue about. Yeah, the song gets tons of playtime on the radio and many music fans often bring it up. Fucking deal with it you cunts.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.