[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello guys. I want to start doing podcasts but also record some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 5899261_orig.jpg (79KB, 620x433px) Image search: [Google]
5899261_orig.jpg
79KB, 620x433px
Hello guys.
I want to start doing podcasts but also record some vocals and do some music production occasionally.

So this is the list of items I want to order. Do you think this is a good choice and is everything compatible or should I reconsider?

- microphone: Audio Technica AT2035
- microphone stand: Auna Malone ST-1.2
- pop filter: Bespeco FPOP01
- headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50 X
- mixer: Behringer Xenyx Q802 USB

The room where I want to do this has relatively good acoustics. We will move to another place in a year or two so I do not really want to invest in that.
>>
>>74857575
don't get a cheap mixer like that if you don't have anything to mix (you're only using a single channel)
a cheap audio interface like a focusrite scarlet does the same thing better.
rest looks okay
>>
>>74857594
>>74857594
But why do people recommend mixers for podcasting then? Only because of the inputs?
>>
>>74857689
because they don't really understand what they're doing, mostly.
don't get me wrong, a mixer can be incredibly useful in live-on-air situations where you need to prepare different mixes for all your participants in front of various microphones independently from what the audience is listenting to, but for a small scale recording situation it's incredibly useless and at that price point just worse quality
>>
>>74857719
Ok. I will get this one then. Thanks for the advice.
- Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Generation

Also, if I wanted to expand later into podcasting in my house with 2-4 people and also music production what else should I get? I already have a good camera with a Rode mic that is ok.

Studio monitors?
>>
>>74857769
I'd go for a bigger interface if you plan on expanding, something with up to 8 preamps. otherwise you won't be able to record and process all your signals independently, which will make your podcasts a lot higher quality and is even more important for music production - a drum kit alone will often be 8 mics at least
monitors are important if you're mixing music, but for the start I'd go all in with the central part of the infrastructure which in this case is the audio interface everything hooks up to - I'd go with the scarlet 18i8 the very least if you want to record music, it can add another 8 channels via ADAT so you're on 12 preamps total when expanding
>>
>>74857834
With producing music I meant using electronic devices and samples. Not actual instruments. With the mic maybe include a midi keyboard for start.
>>
>>74857876
I see, the 4 preamps are fine then
>>
>>74857884
Just to be sure so I do not mess this up because I am just beginning to understand the basics. The preamps are the slots for these devices, yes?
>>
>>74857936
they can correspond to the plugs, but it's more that you can control the gain at the point of entry of each signal, since microphones give a really low signal strength and have to be amplified pre-mixing stage (pre-amped). With a interface with 4 pre-amps you can connect 4 individual microphones or other devices which don't need pre-amplification. If you have an interface with 4 plugs and 2 pre-amps, you can connect two mics and two other things, like eg. feed the signal from a guitar amp. But yopu would not be able to connect a third mic without an external pre-amp.
>>
>>74857968
Thx anon. Thank you very much. Good luck to you and a lot of pussy....or dick. Whatever you are into.
>>
File: 220px-Xlr-panels.jpg (11KB, 220x149px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Xlr-panels.jpg
11KB, 220x149px
>>74857936
yes and no
you have to distinguish in between AD-conversion (input) and preamp
the 18i8 for example has 8 analog inputs (and a bunch of digital ones) that get recorded to individual tracks on the computer, 4 on the front and 4 on the back.
but only the 4 on the front have a preamp inline, so these 4 are the ones you can hook your microphones up while the rest only accepts so called 'line levels' - audio that is already amplified and coming from a digital piano, synth, sampler, recorder, telephone, whatever.

the 2i2 has 2 preamps and nothing more, the 18i20 has 8 ins but all are preamps, and they all have a number of different ouputs which are not as interesting for your I guess.
when shopping for audio equipment look at pic related, these usually indicate a microphone preamp as the xlr connector is the absolute standard for microphones
>>
>>74858019
>Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Generation
What audio interface would you recommend me for this that is not expensive? Thx btw.
>>
>>74858190
the behringer umc 404 might be just what you want, 4 pres and a bit of expandability when needed
I don't really like behringer, but lately they came out with some great products like the deepmind and at that price point the featureset of the interface is super solid, might be worth a shot
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.