[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does song-writing ever get easier? I've been trying my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: 47c.jpg (57KB, 816x640px) Image search: [Google]
47c.jpg
57KB, 816x640px
Does song-writing ever get easier?

I've been trying my hand at it for about a month or two now, and I struggle to come up with melodies when sitting down to write, although I can improvise (and then later forget) them. They are neither organic-sounding nor beautiful nor catchy. Nothing.

Is there hope? What do I have to do to get better at this?
>>
If you keep practicing and playing you'll come up with stuff. Some people just have a knack for melody though, and if you don't have that, you have to keep working at it and learn as much as you can along the way.
>>
>>74848850
>I've been trying my hand at it for about a month or two now

this nigga

literally all of the greats spent like a decade honing their songwriting before releasing anything worth listening to
>>
i feel your pain because i am suffering from similar problems
>>
>spend all night trying to write something decent on guitar
>finally come up with something that you really like, a welcome change from the usual garbage you usually come up with
>play around with the idea some more
>realize something is off
>"holy shit, this sounds just like this one song"
>tfw you bit another song without even realizing it

the melody, progression, almost exactly the same.

fucking kill me.
>>
>>74850205
This
>>
>>74850260
I do this, too. Fuck. The worse so far has been replicating Bowie's "Heroes". It was even in Mixolydian mode.

Do great musicians do this too?
>>
>>74848850
Just learn music theory and analyze the music you like. And of course, practice. It took me almost a year to get anything that I can say is great music.
>>
>>74850470
>music theory
i'm not a fucking NERD
>>
>>74850470
I already know basic music theory, and have been meticulously picking apart the music I like for a few years now. Is it really just that I need to keep at it?
>>
>>74848850
>Is there hope?
no, there is no hope in any of this
>>
What about lyric writing? Everything I come up with feels trite and generic.
>>
Well, the trick that I generally do is coming up with a melody by humming it, or coming up with it vocally first - basically, sing nonsense and build on top of that nonsense.

Alternatively, do a simple arpeggio, which isn't hard, but change the rhythm until you find something you like. Really, it's just a matter of practicing.

Another technique is reducing yourself to the most basic level, and work on two notes only. The thing here really is just finding a rhythm you find interesting. Once you have that basic rhythm, you can add in passing notes.

Another idea is to take a riff you find cool and play it in a different manner - same rhythm, but inverting the notes. It ought to be a simple one, too. Or keep the same notes, but change the rhythm.

It's not gonna be the greatest thing, but it's really to spark up creativity. By forcing yourself to think of riffs in different ways, you can force your brain to think of riffs differently, and hopefully come up with new ones.
>>
>>74850605
Keep going deeper into music theory, I'm at 3rd semester level theory (not actually enrolled in a college) with some various knowledge of advanced topics at the outliers. It can only benefit you and I don't plan to ever stop learning more about music theory.
Also you might not be analyzing the music you like correctly if you only have a basic understanding of theory so that's another reason to go deeper into theory.
>>
You guys ever come up with melodies that would go over songs you're listening to?
>>
>>74850922
All the goddamn time.Then I use the chord progression as a base, and voilĂ , new base for a song.
>>
>>74850993
this is bad
>>
>>74851554
Of course I change up the song afterwards, but it's a good starting point for creativity. Songwriting can be faking until you make it.
>>
>riff machine
>can't write a full, cohesive song to save my life
>mash a bunch of riffs together and find ways to transition from one riff to the next
>call it a song
It worked for Stravinsky and it works for me.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.