[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this elaborate b8 or is 'electronic music' really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: 1503073243131.jpg (256KB, 1757x786px) Image search: [Google]
1503073243131.jpg
256KB, 1757x786px
Is this elaborate b8 or is 'electronic music' really more varied and expansive than 'guitar music'?
>>
much more varied
>>
Deafheaven and Beatles are literally the same thing.
>>
turny out
>>
>>74825912
any variation in tempo, rhythm, or progression is a different genre to bleepfags
>>
>>74825912
>no subgenres edition
>has a bunch of EDM subgenres
>>
>>74826025
EDM isn't a genre
>>
>>74826049
neither is your mom
>>
>>74826049
Neither is rock
>>
>>74826049
yes it is, it's subgenres include techno, house, DnB, and trance
>>
Why does electronic have subgenres but guitar music doesn't?
>>
>>74826101
And funk, reggae and rock are all subgenre of twingy twang
>>
>>74826118
REGGAE FUCKING SUCKS
>>
>>74826105
They both have just subgenres of their primary but no more
>>
>>74826133
>writing off entire genres
>being racist
>*other dumb memerap fan arguments*
>>
>>74825912
>is 'electronic music' really more varied and expansive than 'guitar music'?
Short answer: yes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fQbtp2BgY4
>>
Friendly reminder that EDM is as much of a genre as is Rock.

Friendly reminder that not all electronic music is EDM, and that not all Rock music is guitar music.
>>
>>74826182
>Friendly reminder that not all electronic music is EDM, and that not all Rock music is guitar music.

No fucking shit! Really? Now if only there was a picture to show this, oh wait, there's one in the OP.
>>
>>74826219
I think you mean not all guitar music is rock music
>>
>>74825912
thats not elaborate b8 but it is b8. the subgenre lists are retarded. you could count 1000s of genres for each. whose to say how much differentiation you need to warrant a genre or not.

rock music is inherently less varied though. electronic music entails any possible combination of sounds. rock music is a very specific style.
>>
>>74826219
Read again, retard. Rock is not exclusively guitar music.
>>
>>74826253
>rock music is a very specific style
Wrong. Try to define rock music. It's impossible.
>>
>>74826299
Oh yeah, that thread earlier where a whopping 4 artists were posted and one was called electronic music by major critics lmao
>>
>>74826361
?
>>
>>74825912

If you include effects applied through pedals and such, which you kinda have to, then both are equally as vast. That being said, electronic music has a much easier time actually exploring all of that space because humans suck at performing inhumanly precise rhythms and microtones (hence the adjective). It doesn't actually matter too much in practice since most electronic music is stuff that could have been arranged and performed by live musicians anyway but assholes with an agenda will claim a moral victory there.

At the end of the day they're basically the same thing though, seriously. It's just the mindset behind how the tools are used that changes, but that's something wildly independent from the tools themselves and doesn't have to be the case.
>>
>>74826329
Name 5 rock bands that don't fit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_music
>>
>>74826557
Define rock music first. Citing a whole Wikipedia article is not defining it. By that logic I could cite the entire EDM Wikipedia article to prove EDM is a genre.
>>
>>74826579
That says rock is a genre, the universally accepted definition is in there, the article about the umbrella of subjective danceable music using electronic instruments doesn't say it's a genre.

I'll wait for your list...
>>
>>74826175
>race card
lol how's your first year of college anon
>>
>>74826579
>Define rock music first.
Different anon.

Rock music: Music written to be performed by an (at minimum) 4-piece ensemble consisting of electric guitar, bass, drums/percussion and vocals.
>>
>>74826993
You've just excluded so much rock from the genre I wonder if this is ironic.
>>
>>74826133
reggae is good
>>74826175
you're reggay
>>
>>74827011
Such as?
>>
>>74827011
>You've just excluded
>[citation needed]
What rock songs do you know of AREN'T suitable for performance by a clearly defined guitar/bass/drums/vocals ensemble?
>>
>>74827206
The White Stripes
>>
>>74826993
>performed by an (at minimum) 4-piece ensemble
Shellac
Boris
Rush
Jimi Hendrix
ELP
Nirvana
ZZ Top
Motorhead
Cream
aren't rock, who knew
>>
>>74827438
Nirvana, Motorhead, Hendrix had all 4?
>>
>>74826179
>thousands of dollars of tacticool equipment to recreate the sound of a guitar with a chorus pedal
>>
>>74827469
but he said they need to be 4 piece ensembles, all of those bands listed are 3 piece bands. one person handles vocals and an instrument.
anyways, vocals aren't necessary either. there's such thing as instrumental rock.
>>
>>74825912
Theoretically, it's not even a contest. The possibilities of "electronic music" are a greater infinity than the possibilities of "guitar music"
>>
>>74826993
https://rateyourmusic.com/list/dudeman88/rock_bands_that_lack_an_electric_guitarist/
>>
>>74827469
at one point yes, at others no for some
Nirvana was foremost Cobain, Grohl, and Novoselic
Original JHE was Hendrix, Mitchell, and Redding, who was replaced by Cox
Motorhead had been a bass/drum/guitar with vocals power trio for most of the band's history
>>
>>74827206
ANYTHING WITHOUT VOCALS
>>
>>74826664
>universally accepted definition
Post it. I know you won't because it isn't there and because there isn't one on the first place.
>>
>>74827438
>>performed by an (at minimum) 4-piece ensemble
Just as I suspected. You didn't understand what I wrote
I said a 4-PIECE - not PERSON - ensemble. How many people are in a group is immaterial. It's about the way things are structured in terms of basic orchestration You can have an act like the White Stripes where guitar, bass, and vocals are all effectively done by one person while another person finishes out the 4th role in the ensemble with drums.
Same story with every one of the artists mentioned here >>74827438 as well.
>>
>>74827497
>the sound of a guitar with a chorus pedal
And an overdriven tube amp. And a bass guitar with pedals. And a bass amp. And a synthesizer with pedals. And a keyboard amp. And a full drum kit. And all the mics needed to amp a drum kit...
>>
>>74827469
>>74827507
>>74827554
>>74827555
see
>>74827968
Lol this is what I get for using technical music terminology around amateurs...

>>74827790
I notice your list of examples has nothing in it...
>>
>>74828075
lightning bolt
toe
>>
>no subgenre edit
>>
>>74827968
Lightning Bolt and Hella are rock and are less than 4 piece ensembles, so your definition is wrong. Same goes for Emerson Lake Palmer.
>>
>>74828182
kek
>>
File: react1.png (157KB, 382x310px)
react1.png
157KB, 382x310px
>>74825912
> house, uk garage, and breaks being separate genres
> hip hop considered a form of either and not a separate thing
> downtempo/chillout being literally separate from chillwave
> jazz fusion being electronic music at all(!!!??)

my favourite electronic artist is miles davis
>inb4 wikipedia
>>
>>74825912
>musique concrete involving guitars, or having stemmed from guitar music
Elaborate b8, m8. The creator of that image should count himself lucky no one on /mu/ knows what that genre is.
>>
>>74829131
You are not the first one to notice it, it's just not the relevant part of the argument implied by the image. It's like correcting someones ortography instead of debating.
>>
>>74828928
>Lightning Bolt and Hella
Are both guitar-based jazz ensembles, aka what ill-informed youngins' such as yourself refer to as "math rock" groups. NOT rock bands.*

>>74828928
>Emerson Lake Palmer
Bass + vocals + drums
With a synth player pulling double duty as lead guitar/bass line
Were a synth-jazz crossover act who routinely get lumped in with generic rock music because there haven't been enough synth-jazz acts around to codify it as its own genre, and they sometimes also used guitars - thereby satisfying the guitar + bass + drums + vocals minimum requirement.

* Hence why most people just roll their eyes whenever the topic of "math rock" comes up. It's an extremely misunderstood genre - even by many of its fans/performers.
>>
>>74829756
Lightning Bolt are Jazz then? lol

>Bass + vocals + drums
>With a synth player pulling double duty as lead guitar/bass line
So, no guitars, therefore not rock. Thank you for proving yourself your definition of rock was wrong.

>they sometimes also used guitars
But according to you, their songs without guitars are not rock.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.