[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I didn't like it, but I won't hold anything against

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: a0249360790_10.jpg (219KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
a0249360790_10.jpg
219KB, 1200x1200px
I didn't like it, but I won't hold anything against anyone who did.
>>
File: 765653867.jpg (23KB, 497x486px) Image search: [Google]
765653867.jpg
23KB, 497x486px
I liked it, but I won't hold anything against anyone who didn't.
>>
Carrie and lowel > A Crow Looked at me
>>
>>74795248
>>74795287
alright
>>
>>74795318
Wrong. Carrie & Lowell felt nowhere near as personal.
>>
>>74795248
benji > carrie and lowell > a crow looked at me
>>
>>74795468
Even more wrong.
In terms of "sad" albums, A Crow Looked At Me is leagues above those two
>>
I agree anon, even with all the feels it just doesn't feel all that musical to me
>>
I'm very drunk so apologies for any speling mistakes, but I think it really comes down to what your view on what constitutes "music" is.

Do you view music purely as somethineing that uses melody, hamrony, texture and timbre as a means of evoking an emitoional or intellectual response, or do you view songwritingm performance and delivery as an extension of the whole form. If it's the latter then I thing A Crow Looked At Me ius undoubteldy an incredible piece that docuemnts a universal yet still personal experience in the most sincere and emotionally communicative way possible. I:f you subscrive to former perxepective then I can see it be underwhelming. I'l;l be honest, mosyt the music I listen to comes form a folk tradtion meaning that I think that perspective devoid of of tangibvle persopnal experieince throughm somewhta literary is methods is kind of short sighted and prescriptive but I I can still empathize with it.

but yeah nothing will cahnege the fact thaty I think htis albvum is incredible and beayifiul and one of a kind. even if you don't ;like itg at leasty try to have some goddamn empathy.
>>
File: Capture.png (343KB, 657x659px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
343KB, 657x659px
Hospice > *
>>
>>74795706
this is operating on too many levels of irony for me to handle
>>
>>74795731
I'm legimthalehy not being at all ironuic dude. Speaking from the heart. I'm in texas and am waiting out all the rain but I accidentsly biought malt liquor instead of beer and am a bit drunker than I intended,
>>
DEATH IS REAL
OH OH SO MUCH PAIN

The album.
>>
>>74795318
>>74795467
>>74795468
>>74795496
>>74795523
It's definitely an album, but not really a musical venture. Whereas an album like Carrie & Lowell is an elegiac and nostalgic musical art piece adorned with striking instrumentation, A Crow Looked at Me really is not. Sitting down and listening to the two albums offers two very different experiences. I find it hard to even compare Phil's record to any other record that explores death as a theme. If you need any more proof of that the respective concerts show that. I was lucky enough to see both artists live and while Sufjan's show did press emotion onto the audience, it was completely different to Phil's. Sufjan had a large video projection of artistic films and also archival footage from his youth and had multiple musicians to help tie the instrumentation together for the live setting. He played songs from both Carrie & Lowell and all across his long career, from his lush acoustic songs to those wildly energetic ones. On the other hand, Phil's performances are simply him standing alone at the front of the stage with a mic and a guitar. Just as producing the record most likely was, the live show is also a clear catharsis for him. He's pouring his heart out on stage. Phil also only plays the songs from A Crow Looked at Me and also the two other ones he wrote recently, which are also about his wife's death, but no other songs of his back catalog. I can totally see why for some people this type of art or "music" is not for them. I can also understand not really connecting with this form of grieving that he is employing and not wanting to be a part of it. However, it should be understood that everyone deals with grief differently and I believe that should be respected.

That being said, I really cannot see the comparison of such works to A Crow Looked at Me as being in any way warranted.

>>74795706
>>74795793
yeah, you're drunk. stay safe.

>>74795815
*sigh* Pt. 2
>>
its okay

I understand why it exists and appreciate that, but musically it's pretty boring
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.