[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone just not really care about most music? I mean ubiquitously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 129
Thread images: 13

File: GycOKT0.jpg (127KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
GycOKT0.jpg
127KB, 1024x768px
Does anyone just not really care about most music?

I mean ubiquitously most music (no specific taste genre) and most all of it. It's remarkly uncommon I discover a song I'd say I "like"

It just sounds like people had a case of writer's block and they went with it anyway and it just sounds tacky and irritating.

Even "the greatest song" a band ever made with a really iconic hook just sounds okay to me.

It's not like this with movies, it's not like this with video games and it's not like this with literature.

I know it's possible to make music that sounds like it knows what it's doing because I have about 3 recurring bands that I've listened to any and every song from many times.
>>
>>74776683
that's a cute crab
>>
>>74776683
>looks at catalog
>memerap, trap, waifuspam
No one here, no
>>
what are your 3 recurring bands?
>>
>>74776756
Boards of Canada, Death Grips and Kanye West I suppose.

Grips lost me a bit with Bottomless Pit but it's still 50x more fulfilling and engaging than about anything else I heard that year.

Kanye lost me a lot with Life of Pablo. I think old Kanye has finally lost it, his musical prowess and mental health.
>>
>>74776817
>Kanye
>Meme Grips
if these are your favorite musicians, you are probably not looking hard enough for good music, friend.
>>
purple is a fruit
>>
>>74776860
Really I've been looking through the depths of underground music for years and it's remarkably uncommon I surface with anything I think is worth listening to twice.

Underground music tends to just be people that know what they like echoing some generic iteration of the same thing and never really trying to accomplish anything new or interesting. Also, popular music tends to be popular for a reason.

But if you have some kind of rebuttal to this and you want to show me something you think is more interesting and engaging I'd be happy to hear it. Not that I'm optimistic.
>>
>>74776945
I dunno man, why don't you listen to some Shostakovitch or Coltrane, maybe you're just looking in the wrong genres.
>>
>>74776945
Nihilistic much?
>>
>>74776981
I got a pretty diverse palette. Like I said, it doesn't really seem to pertain to any one style.

Jazz seems to be one of the worse offenders actually though. I'm told it's supposed to be "upbeat" but the music is so aimless and longwinded it just sounds grating.
>>
>>74777000
Have you ever heard A Love Supreme? Its a pretty concise album
>>
>>74776683
>Trying so hard to be hipster that you've lost your ability to enjoy music

SAD
>>
>>74776997
Not really.

Some music sounds so special to me that I hope I never forget how it feels. I ain't asking for all music to be that but it doesn't even transcend into what I would consider a worthwhile listening experience.

>>74777011
I have. Didn't care for it, sounds like every other piece of jazz I've ever heard.

Sounds like he was creatively burnt out and just went through the motions of every riff and progression of notes that came to mind. Goes on for 40 minutes, doesn't really communicate or accomplish anything and then dissappears as quickly as it came.

So many "music experts" on the internet say it's a masterful work of audio you'd think atleast one of them would have had some kind of intelligent justification.
>>
>>74777082
>too autistic to understand the raw emotion of Coltrane
you must like a miserable existence, OP
>>
>>74777116
It doesn't sound like any kind of emotion. Or any kind of narrative. Or anything. It sounds like he went through the motions of every riff and musical idea that popped into his head.

You're so confident in that opinion though I'm sure you're able to elaborate
>>
>>74777145
unfortunately this is a "if you have to ask you'll never know" scenario and i'm not going to make you like jazz because of something i explain.

that being said try playing it. you'll quickly learn how difficult it is and how complex and nuanced the language is. this will grow your appreciation. if you practice those skills and sharpen your mind you can start understanding what these artists are doing. harmonically, melodically, rhythmically. how they are communicating etc. obviously it's not just a bunch of people with instruments playing whatever the fuck they feel like while standing next to each other it's a highly complex language that they are masters in. try learning the alphabet
>>
>>74777204
This is probably the best, most mature response and advice you'll get on this topic. I'd listen. He's right.
>>
>>74777204
I play the guitar and I could play Classical Gas when I was 10.

>obviously it's not just a bunch of people with instruments playing whatever the fuck they feel like while standing next to each other it's a highly complex language that they are masters in. try learning the alphabet
Something being complex is only good if it's complex for some kind or reason. It doesn't automatically have more artistic merit because there's more of it. Otherwise it's just... what's the word. Oh, pretentious.

Chinese is a hard language to learn but that doesn't mean writing a story in Chinese in its complex vernacular makes it a good story.

It just sounds like it farts around with no kind of purpose immediately forgetting what came before it and never building any kind of context. There aren't even intros and outros, it just ends. You could pick any part of the song and it would do just as well.

Talk as verbosely as you want about this, atleast there's some kind of conversation happening on this useless board.
>>
>>74777046
it's not his fault there's nothing but vapememe lofi chillrap and shoegazey dream-fuck to listen to
>>
>>74777296
maybe you could try to make what you think music should be. you seem to have the vision for it
>>
>>74777296
I would agree with you, but the fact that the music you consider good is Kanye West and Death Grips simply makes your opinion invalid.
>>
>>74776683
These sound like really classic symptoms of autism.
>>
>>74777350
I'd like to.

Really I'm not a pretentious pseud that just sits around throwing peanuts at things all day. I'm just doing a sanity check here I just listen to a ton of music and it's incredibly disproportionate I discover anything I think would be worth listening to again. No one else seems to be with me on this.
>>
>>74776683
you should probably get off /mu/ for a bit

>>74776817
yikes definitely get off /mu/
>>
>>
>>74777366
I do yes. The music is intricate but for some a reason and there's many individual redeeming musical moments.

If you have some kind of rebuttal for why this music is supposed to be bad besides "it's popular" please let me hear it.

>>74777371
I like things so off field and so intangible it would probably just confuse and piss off most people. XRA is one of my favourite shows and I'm a big fan of Trout Mask Replica. I don't think I'm autistic.
>>
>>74776945

>popular music tends to be popular for a reason

Then why isn't Taylor Swift one of your three? Justin Bieber? The Beatles? Elvis? ACDC? Metallica? Foo Fighters? Beyonce? So very many more? If you actually believed that then it would be weird for you to only have three bands that you consistently listen to, even weirder that two of those three aren't particularly popular in the grand scheme of things. So you're full of shit but still trying to justify your opinions to yourself in some way, which is fine because you're human but you should know it's transparent as fuck to everyone around you.
>>
>>74776817
Wow thats immature
>>
File: Capturfdfe.png (36KB, 620x325px) Image search: [Google]
Capturfdfe.png
36KB, 620x325px
>>74777415
>>
>>74777432
>Then why isn't Taylor Swift one of your three? Justin Bieber? The Beatles?
>Foo Fighters? Beyonce?
Because it's pop music, peabrain. It's designed for the explicit purposes of mass appeal.

ACDC and Metallica don't count because they became popular because people liked them and weren't like that inherently.

And the only "popular" one out of those three is Kanye on the grounds that he has a half dozen songs out of potentially a hundred that were marketable enough to be pop. All his other songs have potentially a million views on YouTube.
>>
>>74777491
Everything you listen to is simple and repetitive pop music dude
>>
>>74777450
Maturity doesn't mean "liking nondescript and popular things", it means liking things that are nuanced. This doesn't automatically mean "things that aren't mainstream", and if you had more than 2 braincells you might consider that an artist like Kanye is interesting because he combines both paradigms. And also not explicitly going out of your way to act like you like things so you can appease a vacuous image, maturity would also mean that.

Fuck off, retard.
>>
>>74777515
Yeah Boards of Canada is pop music. I remember when "Telephasic Workshop" dropped and everyone was rushing to the record store so they could hear that sweet hook "*bleep* wei *bleep* wei wei wei-wei *bleep*"

Fuck off, birdbrain.
>>
>>74777572
he meant pop music as opposed to more traditional art music like classical or jazz
also i love the melody line in telephasic workshop
>>
>>74777621
I'd say jazz is more accessible than IDM. Neither are pop but BoC isn't pop music under any circumstances.

If you hear Telephasic Workshop anywhere near the radio people will be going "what the fuck is this"
>>
>>74777572
Many boards songs are 1 catchy melody repeated for like 5 minutes lol
Or the rhythmic equivalent of a simple pop melody being repeated
You dont have the patience to listen to something with a less repetitive structure and the artists you like dont have that talent for a grand architecture
>>74777642
Depends on the jazz i suppose. I think we've found that coltranes later works are too much for you lol
>>
>>74777674
The basic structure of the song remains the same but no bar is the same. They're all subtly different in ways that play on eachother and have some kind of purpose.

The reptitiveness plays on the paradigm of the deliberacy of technology and the dichotomy of making something that's human and evokes emotion.

This post is the intellectual equivelent of looking at minimalist art and saying "This sucks, it's just a bunch of simple shapes"

>>74777674
The case I'm trying to make is that it's not "over my head", I just think it's pretentious and there isn't much that could

This post is the intelectual equivelent of looking at a Jackson Pollock painting and saying "This is brilliant, it's so complicated"
>>
>>74777642
you wish
>>
>>74777719
Nice word choice lol
>>
>>74777642
IDM is my fav genre but that's not true
>>
It seems like your brain is just wired differently than most peoples'. I can't really relate
>>
>>74777719
you literally just don't get it so you think it's nothing but random notes and rhythms
>>
>>74777756
Idm is not a genre
>>
>>74777756
>>74777771
Saying something doesn't make it true

Again, if you're so confident in this opinion you must have some kind of argument
>>
>>74777773
i knew this would happen
ok how about "I like more music that is or could be called IDM than music of any other kind"
>>
>>74777719
That purpose is to be repetitive?????
Is it supposed to have rhythmic motivic development like in jazz drumming or something?
>>74777792
well for one, you can only talk about music in wishy washy terms of feelings and intertextual musings because you dont know much about the language we use to communicate musical ideas to one another. You wouldnt understand how a melody would function as arpeggiated chords and how those chords use in functional harmony are what makes it recognizable and satisfying
>>
>>74777000
jazz is often real lacking in structure
sounds like you should learn an instrument to me, there's not much use to all those opinions unless you can do something with them
>>
>>74777890
>That purpose is to be repetitive?????
That's the simplest cliff notes version, yes. Kind of.

>Is it supposed to have rhythmic motivic development like in jazz drumming or something?
Sort of.

What's your point?

>well for one, you can only talk about music in wishy washy terms of feelings and intertextual musings
I'm the only one speaking in terms of musical theory and logical delimiters and everyone else is giving vague emotional justifications like "you just don't get it", I don't know how you figure that

>You wouldnt understand how a melody would function as arpeggiated chords and how those chords use in functional harmony are what makes it recognizable and satisfying
Music theory is a means of accomplishing something. The music theory in of its self can have artistic merit but mostly not really, no. I don't think anyone credits John Coltraine for his advanced music theory.

Again, being good at speaking Chinese doesn't make the story you're telling better.
>>
>>74777381
>No one seems to be with me on this
most people listen to the words
pop music in general, ESPECIALLY the "cool" stuff, is not that musically sophisticated
>>
>>74777923
>>74777296
>>
>>74777932
>i don't think anyone credits John Coltraine for his advanced music theory
>>
listen to qebrus
>>
>>74777940
Okay, great, you've done the hard part. Now learn to write down what you hear and analyze the structure. Try to understand what structures make a song interesting to you
>>
>>74777953
>>Coltraine
>>
File: What have you done.png (156KB, 250x364px) Image search: [Google]
What have you done.png
156KB, 250x364px
>>74776945
>Underground music tends to just be people that know what they like echoing some generic iteration of the same thing and never really trying to accomplish anything new or interesting.
Lol how would you even know this you don't listen to that much music. Serious fucking question. I can't fucking wrap my mind around what you just said here.
>>
>>74777959
That's like saying "what is good writing", it's incredibly complex and nuanced.

As far as jazz goes I'd say that it should represent human emotion in its intangibility. Good music like this tells some kind of narrative and every musical moment has implication on the rest of the song, like a train of thought.

My problem with the Coltraine (if you can summarize it as a single faceted "problem") is that nothing seems to have any purpose and any part of the album is as interchangable as another. If it's "sad" because the sax sounds kind of low key then putting sunglasses on a dog is comedy.

>Lol how would you even know this you don't listen to that much music.
Yes I do.

How did you arrive at this conclusion, because some of my favourite artists are popular? I'm trying to make the case that music isn't automatically more interesting because it's less popular, you fucking trogladyte.

>Serious fucking question. I can't fucking wrap my mind around what you just said here.
That doesn't shock me because you can't wrap your mind around how to read the next post or even process what the first one is saying.

People that make underground music tend to be in that position because they don't aspire to make something interesting. They're satisfied to just make the music they like and don't feel comelled to build on it. Do you understand this.
>>
>>74778044
so what are you trying to accomplish with this thread? I assumed that all your whining about bad writing meant you were keen to understand what differentiated it from good writing, maybe as a first step towards writing something of your own. If you don't want to do that, what's wrong with business as usual i.e. listening to stuff you like and ignoring the rest?
>>
>>74778071
>I assumed that all your whining about bad writing meant you were keen to understand what differentiated it from good writing
I'm trying to develop a discussion. I don't really feel like I'm missing anything and that I just have higher standards than most people, but I Ieft it open to discussion and nobody really surprised me with some kind of intelligent argument.

>what's wrong with business as usual i.e. listening to stuff you like and ignoring the rest?
Just fascination, because nobody else seems to be in the same boat.
>>
>>74778044
>I'm trying to make the case that music isn't automatically more interesting because it's less popular
That's true.
>That doesn't shock me because you can't wrap your mind around how to read the next post or even process what the first one is saying.
Yep you got me there.
>People that make underground music tend to be in that position because they don't aspire to make something interesting. They're satisfied to just make the music they like and don't feel comelled to build on it.
Can you shoot me some examples? I'm supremely curious. Secondarily, what do you think of June Of 44, Slint, Rodan, etc.
>>
>>74778104
high standards come from a high musical education. most pop listeners do not have such an education. additionally, sentence structures etc and features typical of through song are not as familiar to the american ear as repetitive verse/chorus structure. the aesthetic you seem to believe is universal is anything but.
for what it's worth, I'm often in the same boat. pop music is something to dance around to, it doesn't usually have a lot of depth. but I enjoy listening to punk rock records when I'm in the mood for it, and I couldn't tell you why
do you listen to a lot of classical?
>>
>>74778128
>Can you shoot me some examples?
Examples of underground musicians that just kind of make music and don't shoot to make anything spectacular is basically any underground musician. Pick any Boiler Room tracklist.

Underground music that really shines? Four Tet. I don't have a lot of desire to listen to him on a personal level but his music is very special.

Here's a song I think is remarkable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDk-uNXe4NY. Incredibly atmospheric, that piano sample haunts me. Stays exactly as long as it needs to and doesn't spend 6 minutes jerking off a singular musical concept.

>hat do you think of June Of 44, Slint, Rodan, etc.
I only know Slint.

It's special music and represents its genre pretty well but isn't really that fascinating. Leaves a lasting impression on you in a way that other music aspires to.
>>
I can't be bothered to respond properly in case this is bait so I'll just go with

OP your opinion is shit
>>
Dude, i feel the same way. In my case i think it has to do with age, because when i was younger i felt like i wanted to hear every song on earth so i could be sure i wouldn't miss anything great.

Try listen to some Queens of the stone age, any album really though i prefer the earlier ones.
I cant put my finger on it but i think they connect with my ADHD in som way. Like what they play on the more rumbling tracks is how i feel in my head.

Also this song is the latest one that i felt wow about:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1x-82W6LKfg
>>
>>74778150
>high standards come from a high musical education
I don't know what that means, I've had high standards about as long as I've been listening to music.

>most pop listeners do not have such an education.
Why do you keep saying pop? I don't

>additionally, sentence structures etc and features typical of through song are not as familiar to the american ear as repetitive verse/chorus structure
I don't respond positively to pop either, most pop music nowadays sounds like the same pretentious tack I've been complaining about.

And I live in Latvia.

>do you listen to a lot of classical?
Not very much. I like anything with lots of intricate parts that I can digest and it stimulates my brain, but I hold basically the same opinions towards classical.
>>
>>74778215
I have a better idea where you're coming from now. I've simply seen people, time and time again, say that x is a ripoff of y, or that x simply continues what y was doing, etc. When really the people who say these things I find are always consistently wrong. This is why I brought up Slint and co. Can't really say much else since I really like:
>doesn't spend 6 minutes jerking off a singular musical concept.
that kind of stuff. And I'm not much for beats.
>>
>>74778104
>Higher standards than most people
>Likes Death Grips and Kanye
This has to be bait
>>
>>74776683
i think you're kind of right about music

but also not really

i think from your point of view a piece of music is supposed to be objectively good and nuanced, while also sounding good
(this is just how im trying to summarise your taste based on what i've gathered from your posts)

all the points you've been making in this thread are kind of valid, (looking at the coltrane posts) but only really if you're looking at things from the perspective of "is this good music", when i know that, personally, music is as much about self-expression and artistry as it is about being good music, and whether or not you agree i kind of think that you expect more from music then being just another aspect of someone or a group's self expression

as for the whole thing about you being musically talented, well that also kind of contributes to the whole thing of objectivity

whatever, lemme kno if im wrong
>>
>>74778352
wait forgot to add this, i also wanted to say that i dont think you particularly value repetition as a virtue, which i think (and this might only be me)
that repetition combined with the strength of a strong musical or tonal/textural idea kind of creates something which is more than the sum of it's parts, and which grants a sort of meta-catharsis

kinda talking out my ass here tho
>>
>>74776683
Nah. I'm from a creative background and I can find value in even the worst things. Everything has its story to decipher so everything has a level of value. There's also fuck tonnes of good music out there. Maybe you need to delve deeper or change the way you digest things.
>>
>>74776683
If you don't like catchy hooks and iconic pop moments have you tried listening to music that doesn't rely on catchy hooks and attempting to create iconic pop moments? i mean if it doesn't make any difference to you maybe because you don't like the buttons the music is pressing then maybe you'd like music with different goals, for example ambient music which typically has 0 hooks and the songs often do actually sound very similar to one another, but not to its detriment
>>
>>74777451
>Heidegger
No point referencing a guy who himself admitted that he was wrong about everything. Academia is mostly writing things for the sake of publication with the majority of ideas being contradictions. If you argue that nothing is objective then you are making an objective statement, for example.
>>
>>74777719
>
This post is the intelectual equivelent of looking at a Jackson Pollock painting and saying "This is brilliant, it's so complicated"
If you can't understand that Pollock changed the way people use paint you're a moron. Plus, his works are huge and chaotic - the whole thing is just frustration. It's babby-tier, easy to understand work which is why it is so famous. He was like the Taylor Swift of Art back during the Cold War. If you can't understand something so easy then no wonder anything beyond basic pop structures is too confusing for you, OP.
>>
OP just has high standards and apparently that offends the so called patricians

i have trouble finding anything worthwhile as well, op
>>
>>74778386
>>74778352
All of this. Completely and utterly.
>>
>>74776683
I find it hard some times to find new music I like, but I've found some fantastic albums and artists that I'll happily listen to any time I want to hear something good. It's irritating because I know what qualities an album needs to get a high score from me, but it's difficult to find them. Fuck 5/10 albums though.
>>
File: 1331524407492.jpg (80KB, 443x388px) Image search: [Google]
1331524407492.jpg
80KB, 443x388px
>>74778506
>Boards of Canada, Death Grips and Kanye West
>high standards
>>
>>74778391
hey yeah im this guy>>74778352
and this is kind of what i was tying to say hahah
>>
>>74777572
You do know that Roygbiv is one of the most famous electronic songs of all time, right?
>>
>>74778591
Yeah, I saw your post after.
My stance is that there absolutely is objectivity, but only under specific criteria. Like Taylor Swift is good in the context of the celebrity popstar with homogenous music. There's a context that makes everything good, but you have to note that context in your statement.

I feel that OP is just not able to open himself up to understand contexts and concepts, so music in terms of the language he's using is beyond him. That's fine, of course, but taking the stance that the music is at fault for his own short-comings is shitty and he should grow up.
>>
>>74778643
good points mate
just want to ask the thread,
do yall think that reality is objective?
is the way that we percieve reality just one of many ways that it exists?
legit just been thinking about this and i want some opinions
so yeah
>>
>>74778643

forgot to say in >>74778671 post;
you summed up my point way better in like 2 sentences than i could in 2 paragraphs

sorry if i came across as kind of attention seeking :)
>>
>>74778683
I am an art man and this idea is my medium so I have loads of 2 sentence ways of saying it so I don't bore myself to death.

I'd argue that anything objective about reality is outside of our perception because our senses are so limited. Any objectivity in the human context of reality is limited to language because we only understand what we can say and since language is an invention our objective reality is a concentrated work of fiction loosely based on our interpretations of reality.

I feel like a massive arsehole after writing that, though.
>>
>>74779029
wut. If I were to pinch your nipple you'd objectively feel pain or pleasure. There are certainties.
>>
>>74779141
Only so far as we can sense. Any pain you feel isn't true outside of your feeling it, which makes it subjective. Technically, but that's language for you.
>>
>>74779269
>Any pain you feel isn't true outside of your feeling it, which makes it subjective
Philosophical mumbo jumbo.
>>
>>74778594
Yes, dickhead. I'm aware.

That meaning 5 million plays on Spotify.

If it had 100 million plays it wouldn't be "pop music". Meaning "designed for mass appeal". There is absolutely nothing about that song resembling an instantly recognizable earworm that sticks in your head and makes you want to listen to it on repeat. The closest thing to hook that piece of audio is a detuned synth modulating in a way that could be construed as "playful"

Can it with the fedoraism. Please, stop it. You are too much.
>>
You faggot you are just looking for recommendations,you should have just said so
here's a good album.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNn78K8D7NU
p.s you can't be a pleb if you wanna listen this one
>>
>>74779577
Bit of a broad brush but thanks anyway.

Although I'm a minute in and I can already feel my brain casually strolling away to go focus on something more interesting. This album isn't really convincing me otherwise.
>>
File: OK.png (120KB, 285x253px) Image search: [Google]
OK.png
120KB, 285x253px
>>74779527
Jeez who diddled you as an infant
>>
>>74779609
OP is that you? Respond to these:

>>74778352
>>74778643
>>
>>74779651
I'm OP. I have a name now.

>>74778352
>>74778643
No I get that, I've got a pretty open definition of what constitutes "good music".

It's depressingly ubiquitous. The best way to put it is that most all music just sounds like they had a case of writer's block, to the point where it transcends into being irritating and just makes it unpleasant to listen to.

I'd give specific examples if there were any that stood out amoung the others. I listened to Shabbaz Palaces recently and I thought it was neat what they were going for, but it just sounded like total bullshit. Somehow I don't buy that it's supposed to be the most mystical and badass thing like the music presented itself.
>>
OP has either:

A. been baiting this whole thread
B. lost his head so far up his own ass that he the only nutrients he digests is via his own feces
>>
>>74779753
Yeah it's so obvious why what I'm saying is wrong you'd figure someone would be able to argue it.
>>
File: 1500904207525.png (2MB, 2820x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1500904207525.png
2MB, 2820x2400px
>>74779729
I can't really argue anything since I'd need examples we both listened to. Any thoughts on any of these?
>>
>>74779405
Well objectivity and language are inherently philosophical; that's how they function.
>>
>>74779729
You're not taking the music for what it is, you're taking it for what you want it to be. You're projecting yourself into it instead of taking it for what it was intended to be.

You might have ADHD or autism or something. Not as a buzzword. You can clearly articulate yourself, it's just that what you are articulating is about yourself but you are blaming the music for your lack of interest in it.
Maybe something like Boredoms would work for you.
>>
>>74779928
Yes. but that particular brand of crap anon spoke of was pure mumbo jumbo. It's like how Kant is all
>We can never truly know anything because the phenomena we observed may not repeat itself at a later time
But that's mumbo jumbo bullshit. You and I both know how it feels for feet to contact the ground. We know the sensation we get when we pinch our nipples. It's crap.
>>
File: 1468275041920.png (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
1468275041920.png
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>74776817
Why didn't the thread end here?
>>
>>74779989
>Maybe something like Boredoms would work for you.
Whoa whoa that wasn't a slight against Boredoms was it?
>>
>>74780002
I'm the same guy, I'm just in work.
I totally agree with you, but the way the language works contradicts itself. There's no universal objectivity. That's the limit of language. Translate this into another language and I'm sure it becomes complete fucking nonsense.
>>
>>74780079
Hmmmmm. I'll have to think on this then. That bit about translation stopped me. Thanks for the chat and food for thought.
>>
>>74780019
Nah, considering his statements I felt he might find them easy to focus on.
>>
here's the deal op

boards of canada, death grips, and kanye west are fantastic artists (especially boc) that make great music. but if they're the only artists you like, or find a fucking death grips song as the pinnacle of music (not even personally, but saying that it's objectively better than most music), and call artists like john coltrane as "going through the motions," then you're actually retarded and have no taste whatsoever.
>>
>>74777777
>>
>>74780269
Saying something doesn't make it true, sir.

We can sit here and sling dressed-up versions of "ur wrong" all day but all that accomplishes is racking up our own imaginary points.

If you have some kind argument for why John Coltraine has more artistic merit than Death Grips then please, lay it on me.
>>
>>74780602
Hey reply to me here: >>74779892
>>
>>74776945
>>
>>74776683
sleep tight craber
>>
I would have taken you seriously but one of your favorite artists is Kanye and you're complaining about "generic" artists and "people not being innovative". Making it difficult over here.
>>
>>74776860
>>74777116
>>74777204
>>74777391
>>74777432
>>74777450
>>74777674
>>74777749
>>74777771
>>74777890
>>74777968
>>74778224
>>74778315
>>74778547
>>74778594
>>74779753
>>74780007
>>74780269
>>74780768
>>74780269
An addage:

You guys know that "fedora" meme? The one with the obese man wearing the funny hat?

The premise of that meme is to make fun of people that act like they're smart and cultured but are just a faux imitation of that. People that appreciate things on suface, give credit to things that vaguely resemble being more smart or cultured (I wear a fedora so I'm a gentleman or something) but can never justify their opinions beyond juvenile insult.

The insult has been used and abused as a boilerplate insult against someone's masculinity and it's basically become meaningless, but that's what it means.

You guys are really bein the fedora archetype when you slam critically acclaimed, beloved music seemingly for the only reason that it's remotely popular, claim that "real music" is a Jazz musician that died 50 years ago but can't begin to explain what's supposed to be better about it beyond juvenile insults.
>>
File: reaction18.png (98KB, 894x838px) Image search: [Google]
reaction18.png
98KB, 894x838px
>>74780830
Reply to me here: >>74779892
>>
>>74780830
Wow ur trip really fits you.

Anyways, I never called him a fedora, and I never said Jazz is better, it's just REALLY hard to take him seriously when he acts like Kanye is great and it's so hard to find other good artists, especially when he's complaining about innovation and being generic. Kanye is both lacking in any sort of innovation and pretty generic at times. "Critically" acclaimed means about jack shit to me. "Beloved" means nothing to me. Nice argumentum ad populum though. I'd maybe give a critic a slight advantage over the average person's tastes, but most of the time, yeah, fuck critics. I never insulted OP, I'm simply stating facts. Kanye isn't innovative, and can be quite generic.
>>
>>74780879
sorry

I know Slint, Faust, Dalek and American Football. Never even heard of the rest of it.

Slint is really special

Faust I don't really care about.

Dalek I just find weird, tack and annoying.

American Football is an incredibly special album, not really credited to musical talent though. Poorly written, structured and composed. Truely special though. I'm just glad that album exists. LP2 really did not need to happen.
>>
>>74780830
I literally just said Roygbiv is one of the most famous electronic songs of all time
It literally has a deadmau5 remix
No need to get speddy
>>
>>74780986
>Slint is really special
For sure.
>Faust I don't really care about.
Is it the lack of structure?
>Dalek I just find weird, tack and annoying.
Weird when compared to what? Did you mean tacky? Annoying how and compared to what?
>not really credited to musical talent though
How do you figure? Those math guitars are really something.
>Poorly written
How's that? Compared to what?
>>
>>74780927
You don't know anything about Kanye. He was the messiah for about a half dozen different musical styles.
>>
>>74781038
>Is it the lack of structure?
It just doesn't really engage me, whatever it is they're going for.

I just found out the self titled came out in 1971, so maybe people were just impressed by rock that was unconventional in some way.

>Weird when compared to what? Did you mean tacky? Annoying how and compared to what?
It sounds weird but not in a way that feels genuinely cool or remarkable.

I like Aesop Rock who is all kinds of weird. With him you just buy that he's a brilliant charismatic man that's fascinated by life.

>not really credited to musical talent though
How do you figure? Those math guitars are really something.
Yeah I guess the guitars are good.

>Poorly written
How's that? Compared to what?
Maybe not poorly written. It's generic, but it's meant to be. It's kind of a monument to its genre.

The structure of the songs sound a little half baked and awkward though.

The main thing I'm trying to communicate here is that a lot of music just sounds "tacky". It sounds like they had a case of writer's block and they weren't really engaged in it, but they went with it anyway. You know when something feels right.

I know music is about feelings, which is probably why there's so many people that are just satisfied to make what they like and not really expand on it or polish it. Particularly people in the underground.
>>
>>74776683
Yes, most music is terrible; this includes Death Grips and Kanye. I find the reason for this is people not understanding how to have a recurring motif that isn't painfully obvious, a chord progression that breaks expectations and functionality, interesting key modulations--which I find to be one of the most important aspects of what makes a piece great, but is not necessarily required; having non-chord tones be unresolved which leads into interesting chord changes. Changing scales, but still based on the same tonality to convey a wide pallette of emotions is a very good technique to create great music, and a song structure choice that reflects the story you want to tell. Now knowing this I can give you plenty of artist that succeed in this: Opeth, Yes, Autechre, Phronesis, John Coltrane, Pat Martino, Miles Davis, Eric Dolphy, Komeda Quintet, Grant Green, Ryoji Ikeda, Merzbow, Sunn O))), Beethoven, Alexander Scriabin, Debussy, Stravinsky, Krzysztof Penderecki, Elliott Carter, John Cage, Deathspell Omega, Gorguts, Disasterpeace, Charles Mingus, Bach, Wagner, Chopin, Schoenberg, Richard Strauss, and Shostakovich.
>>
>>74781212
>so maybe people were just impressed by rock that was unconventional in some way.
This is a lot of it, yeah. Others with its backstory: They were paid by a label to become the German Beatles, but instead they threw everything about popular rock from the last 25 years at the time and made something completely different.
>It sounds weird but not in a way that feels genuinely cool or remarkable.
I don't think it has to be cool, but I can definitely say a rap song with 4 minutes of lyrics and eight of feedback/noise is definitely remarkable (Praise Be The Man off of Negro Necro Nekros). Or Opiate The Masses off of Absence where dalek lays out how religion has been used to commit atrocities. Or the lyrics off of Ever Somber:
Terrain disfigured
Pressure temple, tempt to tap trigger
Must contend with this diseased mind and drown liver
Cradle soul eternal type land of two rivers
Or the lyrics off of Abandoned Language, or the 43 minute single track that is Untitled. An apocalyptic piece about the end of times that's right up there with the best of Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
>I like Aesop Rock who is all kinds of weird. With him you just buy that he's a brilliant charismatic man that's fascinated by life.
But I can just as easily say dalek is weird for their lack of charisma and obsession with politics and overloading their music with politics in a genre that isn't known for it along with their noise antics.
>Yeah I guess the guitars are good.
Indeed.
>It's generic, but it's meant to be
I wouldn't say that. It comes straight from the depths of Kinsella's sincerity. I'd say it's sincere and heartfelt.
>The structure of the songs sound a little half baked and awkward though.
I'm not a fan of how long Never Meant goes on for, yeah.

From this I'm really not sure what you look for in music. But to each their own.
>>
>>74781051
Such as
>>
File: images (2).jpg (9KB, 197x255px) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
9KB, 197x255px
Sounds like OP is just too enlightened to enjoy music. His vast, cosmic intellect is too much for simple /mu/tants to comprehend.
>>
>>74776683
>Does anyone just not really care about most music?
The majority of listeners actually. How many people have the patience and the decency to listen to a full album and not in the background?
>>
>>74776683
>Even "the greatest song" a band ever made with a really iconic hook just sounds okay to me.
Have you tried listening to anything without hooks? Have you not considered that you might be tired of song and genres of music which rely on it?
>I have about 3 recurring bands that I've listened to any and every song from many times
Which are those 3? I'm also not sure if you have replied to anyone since you've made this thread. If I'm correct, there's no point in replying anymore.
>>
>>74776945
Go back on your meds
>>
>>74778262
you should listen to classical, it has the sorts of structures you are talking about. it is at its very heart to "tell a story". mozart, haydn e.g.
and by pop I meant everything that isn't jazz or classical, rock included
>>
>>74782656
>and by pop I meant everything that isn't jazz or classical, rock included
Don't. Do you want him to consider rock and all of its subgenres as something worthless and never discover new music? Given that he's actually been serious.
>>
>>74780830
I never said that popular music is bad because of it being popular. I just implied that your taste is garbage but you consider yourself to have high standards.
>>
File: box-frontJP.jpg (92KB, 640x450px) Image search: [Google]
box-frontJP.jpg
92KB, 640x450px
>>74776817
you do know new albums and new bands come out every single day right? like /mu/core isn't even a drop in the bucket for music right? No wonder you can't find any music.
Thread posts: 129
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.