[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ask a former radiohead faggot who can write in the key of radiohead

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: huh.jpg (29KB, 539x366px) Image search: [Google]
huh.jpg
29KB, 539x366px
ask a former radiohead faggot who can write in the
key of radiohead anything about writing.
>>
>>74737912
Do you write in pen?
>>
>>74737912
which key is the key of radiohead
>>
>>74737953
The one that opens ur heart.
>>
>>74737966
given that keys are essentially relative I assume you are arguing that specific clusters of pitches make evoke very different emotional responses

please elaborate
>>
>>74737953
The shit one
>>
>>74737953
if you wanna be specific then there are charts discussing what keys they tend to write in. My use of key here is saying that I know a good amount of their "tricks" to sound like them.
>>
>>74738092
can you post an example of an original composition that sounds like them?
>>
>>74737986
Radiohead is rarely a very musical enough of a bandto utilize the said clusters of pitches to evoke different emotions. based on their writing they don't take note of what series of tones can form different moods same with chordal and harmonic changes and most of their ideas are whatever come to their heads and aren't that uncommon in alternative rock music
>>
>>74738124
This was an idea I made not too long ago I was not shooting to sound like radiohead really, some people ive showed it to said it sounds like them. I was sorta playing around with a descending line that had some phrygian qualities to it so I thought I'd attempt to make whatever the hell this is out of it
https://soundcloud.com/user-196382254/slide
>>
>>74738234
What's your recording rig like? I'm getting into home recordings, this certainly reminds me of HTTT
>>
>>74738287
very simple
The drums are sampled and repeated from a site
>Zoom H2N thru mini usb
I record everything through that and EQ and everything else in Audacity
>>
>>74738234
i liked the songs on your soundcloud and can hear some radiohead, although without the godrich vibe
>>
Some basic aspects to use to get a radiohead sound:
Funk drums:
>It helps if they are syncopated, keep the tempo between 90-140 unless you are going for an EDM vibe or something else. if you can't get funk drums jazz is your second option but avoid brushes
Rhythm and Lead guitar Combo
>On rhythm crank the Low gain and mostly play with the bottom three strings and keep your chord voicings down to 3 tones, even if the chords exceed these numbers such as extensions and 7ths, remove 5ths and other unnecessary chord tones to make room for extensions. Even try rootless voicings. Keep lead guitar jittery, stuttering, and delayed and fill in the mids and high that the rhythm guitar doesn't cover. Arpeggiate and use octave chords when having to express a melodic theme
Bass:
>The bass guitar should be groovy and similar to the drums, funky. Try altering root notes of the chords you hear (even though this is an unprofessional approach to harmony) but it works and its how radiohead does it. (ex. C/G, D7/F). This creates interesting and somewhat jazzy intervals and helps you find a sound that you may have not realized would be good for the song
>>
Composition:
>Keep it simple, no more than three voices at once, if more then make sure they play the same notes as another voice. Make either slow chord changes or fast ones. Write in Dorian, Minor, Double Harmonic minor, and mixolydian. Don't rely on generic structure like ABABCB, try going the entire song with just verse and finally a chorus at the end, make the entire thing verse with a bridge. Modify chords, substitute them with similar ones. Use modal interchange, its what got radiohead famous (I–III–IV–iv). just play the parallel minor if that stuff doesn't make a lot of sense to you.
Atmosphere:
>Drone the tonic. This is essential for alternative rock music, it creates a harrowing sound but its easy to do. Try droning other scale degrees and see how they sound. Crank reverb and echo, make your OD really muffled if you do use any. Play around with drum tightness and hollowness.
Lyrics:
>anything, mostly use common catchphrases and proverbs heard throughout british history. use politics and distressing stuff. THis is mostly about sound not words
>>
>>74738391
thank you
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.