[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Chart the progression of your taste in music >pre-t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: MyBloodyValentineLoveless600-2.jpg (53KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
MyBloodyValentineLoveless600-2.jpg
53KB, 600x600px
ITT: Chart the progression of your taste in music

>pre-teen: Bit and pieces I pulled off my dad's shelf. Bowie, The Killers, Demon Days, anime OPs and EDs and MCR

>13/14: stumbled on Mogwai's Take Me Somewhere Nice on Youtube one day, first album I bought. Within a year I'm mostly listening to Mogwai, Explosions in the Sky, Silver Mt Zion and God is an Astronaut

>15: Googling "good indie rock" leads to listening to a lot of Arcade Fire, Broken Social Scene, Interpol etc

>16: Discover /mu/, one of my best years of music. ITAOTS, Yoshimi Battles the Giant Pink Robots, Loveless, Souvlaki and Bon Iver, Bon Iver are my most played albums

>17: start following new music. Fall in love with Bat For Lashes, Beach House, Wild Nothing, Purity Ring, Grizzly Bear, Ariel Pink, The XX, araabmuzic, The Smiths

>18: Much the same. Most listened albums are Dark Side of the Moon, MBDTF, The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me. Working at country pub/drinking there till the early hours, so listen to a lot of atmospheric music on the hour and a half walk home drunk at 2am down dark country roads. Get into Radiohead proper. AM is also really good.

19: LastFM says I've scrobbled Radiohead 2,000 times in six months. Go to uni; Father John Misty is the only new artist I really get into. I'm now obsessed with The Beatles - White Album is GOAT. I LOVE Dan Bejar.

20: Much the same.

21: Haven't been able to add new music onto my iPod for a year, so not much new music.

22: Love for Dream Pop/Shoegaze subsides. Now using Spotify, so most of my listening is now new releases. Crack Up is amazing, half the new FJM is really fun. Radiohead still regularly my most listened band each month.

https://www.last.fm/user/Falsey95

Let's share guys :))
>>
File: BcVs7FP.png (27KB, 197x232px) Image search: [Google]
BcVs7FP.png
27KB, 197x232px
>>74701161
>>
>16
Playing rock band at friends house and discover Silversun Pickups. Becomes my favorite band
>17
Develop taste into bands like Foals, Cage the Elephant, Death Cab, The Neighbourhood, Young the Giant
>20-21
Start listening to Tame Impala which develops a craze into psych/garage rock with bands like Pond, UMO, King Gizz, Oh Sees, Mild High Club, Beach Fossils

Funny thing is, my friend who's trying to """"make it""""" in the music industry tells me off because I don't listen to "good" music anymore, and that I don't write good riffs for him anymore lol
>>
>pre-teen: Daft Punk, The Chemical Brothers, Justice, deadmau5

>13: Aphex Twin, Boards of Canada, Squarepusher, Autechre and other entry-level IDM

>14: more IDM + entry-level avant-garde like Captain Beefheart and The Residents + entry-level prog rock like King Crimson and VDGG

>15 (this is when I discovered /mu/): same as before + stuff like Coil, Death in June, Current 93 and Nurse with Wound + krautrock + avant-prog (RIO, zeuhl and so on)

>16: bebop, hard bop, post-bop and free jazz

>17: a lot of free jazz and free improvisation + entry-level classical

>18 (this is me now): a lot of classical (everything from medieval stuff to post-WW2 avant-garde) + obscure free jazz and free improv + "world music" (I hate this term)
>>
>>74701599
could you recommend me some "obscure free jazz", Anon?
I guess that Sun Ra would be classified as "entry level since you're a fan of that stuff
>>
>>74701654
Reuben Radding - Intersections
Harris Eisenstadt - Canada Day Octet
Chris Speed - Deviantics
Jason Roebke Octet – Cinema Spiral
>>
>10
Guns and Roses, Alice Cooper

>12
A LOT of Dream Theater

>13
A LOT Ayreon

>14
The two previous ones + game OSTs, particularly stuff from FF

>15
A whole bunch of early King Crimson, a bit of Peter Hammil, a bit of First Band from Outer Space and Oresound Space Collective

>16
Swans The Seer, Soundtracks and Holy Money, KC's more avant and less prog tracks, Lark's Tongues part IV, THRaKaTTaK, ProjeKcts

>17,18
KC and more random youtube prog like Krokodil's An Invisible World Revealed, Out Of Focus, Bulbous Creation
All Them Witches, 13th Floor Elevators, Thee Oh Sees Multilator, Clark, La Femme, Grails, continue with a bit of Swans

But most importantly, all Earth albums

>19
Permutations from last two years + continue with Earth's earlier stuff, a burst in Coil listening, Sun City Girls, Merzbeat, Zaum, a little bit of Belzebong, some darkjazz, Gallon Drunk

If anyone has recommendations

Pic related, the first 6 months of 2017's most listened to albums:
Coil: Horse Rotorvator, The Remote Viewer, Musick To Play In The Dark
Grails: Black Tar Prophecies Vol 4, 5, 6
All Them Witches: Sleeping Through The War
Zaum: Oracles
Sun City Girls: Grotto of Miracles
Gallon Drunk: You, The Night... And The Music
>>
File: 1475775014558.png (286KB, 645x1218px) Image search: [Google]
1475775014558.png
286KB, 645x1218px
0-12 - listen to whatever's on the radio or what was popular at the time (lots of mid 00's pop music like Katy Perry, Avril Lavigne, Black Eyed Peas, etc.) Listen to only Top 40 shit and don't care about music overall.
13-14 - start listening to dadrock (Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Queen, Guns n' Roses, The Beatles, Black Sabbath) Only listen to greatest hit compilations.
15 - start getting into music more seriously. Listen to LPs of some bands (Radiohead, The Killers, Nirvana, Eminem, Kanye West)
16 - find /mu/, obligatory /mu/core taste (NMH, Radiohead, MBV, Joy Division, Pink Floyd, Arcade Fire etc.)
17-18 - much the same, listen to lots of Shoegaze, Dream Pop and Post-Rock (Talk Talk, GYBE, Slint, MBV, Beach House, Tame Impala, Slowdive, Cocteau Twins, Lush) Listen to various albums from lots of genres (Jazz, Folk, Synthpop, Rap, Experimental Rock) etc.
19 - listen to Swans, now I'm into Industrial and Post-Punk shit (Coil, Throbbing Gristle, Mass, The Cure, This Heat, Public Image LTD)
I guess you could say I've never advanced beyond entry level /mu/tant.
>>
File: 2017 1.jpg (201KB, 505x255px) Image search: [Google]
2017 1.jpg
201KB, 505x255px
>>74702133
oops
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.