[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I Want to learn how to play piano, specifically jazz piano.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

File: Bill Evans.jpg (31KB, 500x314px) Image search: [Google]
Bill Evans.jpg
31KB, 500x314px
I Want to learn how to play piano, specifically jazz piano.

Where Should I start? I have a 61-key digital piano and an app that teaches me how to sight read sheet music. I've just been finding beginner sheet music online and trying to play it. Where should I go from here? I'd like to be able to play some Bill Evans pieces eventually
>>
https://www.amazon.com/Alfreds-Self-Teaching-Adult-Piano-Course/dp/0739052055/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1502943573&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=alfreds+self+rteaching+book

and a teacher
>>
master the key circle by fourths and by fifths then most jazz standards will become doable to you mentally speaking. physically speaking practice hanon exercises and donini exercises and do your scales
>>
Try to read and play Bill Evans version of Blue in Green. You should be able to find sheet music online for it. I am unsure what your skill level is. I would strongly suggest you get a private teacher in order to ensure you are using proper technique that won't injure you though
>>
File: Bill_Evans_1969.jpg (59KB, 1062x800px) Image search: [Google]
Bill_Evans_1969.jpg
59KB, 1062x800px
>>74598942
>I'd like to be able to play some Bill Evans
Develop your scoliosis foundation first of all
>>
File: Hond2_064.jpg (242KB, 1808x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Hond2_064.jpg
242KB, 1808x1080px
>>74599029
Damn
>>
File: bill-evans-09.jpg (115KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bill-evans-09.jpg
115KB, 1280x720px
>>74599049
Bill just didnt give a fuck about good form
>>
if you REALLY want to play jazz piano, get a teacher. yes, it's possible to teach yourself, but having a teacher will show you correct technique and give you plenty of inspiration when you struggle.
>>
1. Listen to jazz pianists. If you like Evans, just listen to him constantly.

2. Practice sight reading as often as you can. Work up to the point where you can sight read a Charlie Parker solo at a decent level.

3. Basic technique. You should know all your major and minor scales and arpeggios inside and out. Learn about chord inversions.

4. Basic theory. If you can't already, learn how to do Roman numeral analysis and practice with some Bach chorales until it becomes second nature.

5. Jazz theory. Pick up some kind of a jazz theory text and then pick an easy standard to learn and start learning it from a leadsheet.

6. Start transcribing piano solos you like. Find a piano solo on whatever standard you're learning and transcribe that. Analyze the solo and figure out why it works theoretically.

Or you can do the easy thing and just learn Bill Evans transcriptions. But that's not really "playing jazz,"
>>
>>74598942
start with your fucking scales. Play them daily. Find new ways to play them. Play them until you're fucking contemplating quitting because you're fucking tired of playing these fucking scales.

And do what everybody else says. Don't be afraid to spend time "learning something by ear though." It's good training at the least
>>
>>74598942
Thanks everyone, I'm building a daily routine based on everything here.

One more question: Where can I find accurate sheet music? I'm aware of the real book, but i've heard claims against it.
>>
Take the real book with a grain of salt. Play it with the recording and if it's not right, then just change it. Develop and ear and try to pick up on beebop language. Play from ear and from sheet music. But in a live jam, your ear will save you. Try to play along with kind of blue. I know it's modal but it's an easy place to start.
>>
>>74599787
Fuck you, learn how to play intervals and then learn how they are formed to construct scales, chords and everything else.
>>
File: keith jarrett.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
keith jarrett.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
>>74599076
no self respecting jazz pianist gives a shit about posture
>>
>>74600270
keith jarrett actually has pretty good posture
he sits up when he's playing classical
when he's playing jazz he moves around, but he's not fucking up his spine or anything
>>
>>74598942
hire a teacher. practice a lot. its not hard. anything else is over complicating things.
>>
>>74598942
You're going to need an aircraft hanger or something.
>>
ive been playing for a little while. i do private lessons and some stuff at college. i would say that the best thing you could do is to get good at reading music. learn to play in different keys. this will take a long time but once you have this you can pull any sheet music off the internet and as long as it a piece that kinda matches your skill level you will be able to play it at the proper speed and everything after practicing it for a little while. also just play things you enjoy even if its dumb.stay motivated. its okay if you hate practicing your scales and stuff but it does pay off. its like going to the gym, you just want the results. try to practice regularly. even if you can only play for 5 minutes while your food is in the microwave. just keep playing and playing and playing and playing. also listen A LOT
>>
>>74602085
also once you can afford it i would get a full size 88 key piano with weighted keys. check your local sellers too i just got a used upright wurlitzer for $250. cheaper than my digital piano
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.