[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tfw prog-hop already happened and no one cared the punk phase

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

tfw prog-hop already happened and no one cared

the punk phase is happening right now
>>
>>74593080
>mbdtf
>prog
it's radio rap
just because he sampled king crimson doesn't make it 'progressive'
>>
>>74593309
King Crimson got to #28 on billboard 200, and sgt peppers/pet sounds are considered proto-prog.

prog is generally defined as:
>an attempt to bring music closer to 'art'
>more poetic lyrics
>merging high and low culture

I fail to see how MBDTF isn't at least prog-like. Even Days of Future Passed is considered prog.
>>
bamp
>>
Prog hop already happened with Beastie Boys, Public Enemy, and De La Soul. All those attempts were also far more sophisticated than any of these four.
>>74593616
MBDTF is as simple as it gets in terms of hip hop. It's a genre based on rhythmic interplay, yet it has some of the simplest rhythms out there. Sure some of the music is more melodic as a result, but it's on the complexity of basic 2 measure pop hooks. There's nothing progressive about MBDTF.
>>
>>74593080
Only Uneven Compromise can be considered prog-rap. All those three are just pop rap.
>>
>>74594108
some of the song structures were kinda progressive, i.e. that vocoder solo on Runaway
>>
>>74594248
there were definitely 'pop' elements on those albums, but same thing with a lot of prog records (in terms of contemporary popular rock)

what separates those albums from other popular hip hop records is the grandiosity (song length, production, album-wide storytelling) and attempts to push the sound/genre forward without necessarily being experimental or overtly avant-garde (like Ugly Man)
>>
>>74594303
I feel like being overtly avant-garde in a hip-hop song to the degree that LUM does is much more prog than any of those other albums are.
>>
>>74594108
OP here, I agree with you upon reflection

>>74594303
what makes those albums prog to me is the conscious incorporation of real poetry (gil scott heron, the chloe mitchell poem, lupe's actually good rap, the story of GKMC) and the maximalism. however as >>74594108 points out the actual structure is still very pop. more pop than pet sounds or sgt pepper
>>
>>74594108
also, if there's really to be a mirror between rock and hip-hop in this way, beastie boys and public enemy fit the timeline marginally better too if you consider the 80s as to hip hop as the 60s were to rock, and hardcore to punk.

so I guess now we're in hip-hop's hair metal days?
>>
>>74594432
>I guess now we're in hip-hop's hair metal days?
It looks that way. I wonder what's gonna come next?
>>
>>74594539
alternative and indie but turned up to eleven
>>
>>74594689
chance the rapper is already indie hip hop
you can argue tyler the creator, milo and brockhampton or alt-hip hop

if anything i'd like what dean blunt did on bbf too be a new genre. its noir-hip hop
>>
>>74594539
nah hair metal was early-mid 00's club rap with the single 808 bassline and finger snaps. It also had those cheesy "thugs need love too" ballad songs
>>
Krautrock hip hop
>>
>>74593080
None of that is prog-hop. That would be something like Divine Styler
>>
>punk
Don't kid yourself. Fantano isn't all wrong, but if anything, you're already on the nu-metal/emocore phase.
>>
>>74596486
that is a post-hop album, silly
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.