[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is listening to only two or three artists a fuckton considered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 9

File: 20170815_200047.jpg (1017KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170815_200047.jpg
1017KB, 2560x1440px
Is listening to only two or three artists a fuckton considered bad?

How do I branch out?

Pic related is my >cracked >iPod in >2015+2 before anyone points out any of these things
>>
File: 20170815_200111.jpg (906KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170815_200111.jpg
906KB, 2560x1440px
Song count.

There's at least ten played over a hundred times and there's at least ten played less than five, for reference. I'm not sure how to interpret that but I think it means I listen to the same thing too much.
>>
PS I like a lot of random songs like three billy joel songs, country roads, mmmbop and huddle formation (last one is a literally who) but I don't know how to format them without it being autistic so I only download stuff by the album
>>
If your interested in branching out then branch out, if you don't care then it shouldn't matter as long as you're happy.
>>
>Sabaton
Get the fuck out of here you circumcised-dick-riding shabbat goy for zionists.
>>
>>74574751
Go fuck yourself.
>>
File: 20170729_153332.png (144KB, 248x450px) Image search: [Google]
20170729_153332.png
144KB, 248x450px
>>74575012
I agree
>>74575014
I think you should go back to a certain board
>>74575050
I disagree
>>
>>74574751
do/listen to whatever the fuck you want. why are you asking us? why do you think we care?
>>
>>74575170
I asked how to branch out, read the OP
Where do I explore next
>>
>>74575190
rateyourmusic.com

honestly you have terrible taste, or more correctly, you completely lack taste
if you're actually interested in music though, you'll figure it out for yourself
don't ask people to spoonfeed you such a huge media
>>
>>74575190
again why are you asking us? soulseek, rym, sharethreads, youtube, fucking ask people for good music
>>
When I really like a band or artist, I like to read about their influences, contemporaries, and side projects. Also RYM charts and lists are very helpful.
>>
>>74575230
>Why are you asking us?!
>You should be asking online instead!
>>
>>74576489
Well, I don't see you asking for good music, you're just asking how to branch out. There are many places to do it, you're just being a shortsighted faggot.
>>
File: folder.jpg (68KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
68KB, 800x800px
>>74576539
I'm not OP lol.

That being said, here OP, have a good album, probably totally different than what you're used to but I love ambient music so I'll share some entry-level ambient with you.
>>
File: folder.jpg (591KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
591KB, 700x700px
OP, here's another one I like. This is really laid back mellow music, I'm into more mellow stuff generally speaking so it's a bit different than what you seem to listen to, but just throwing random shit out there.

The thing with music is you gotta kinda just find what you like and explore in that direction. Also /mu/ is really negative about things, someone is always ready to tell you why an album is shit, which is fine for big fans but tough for someone new to the whole thing because it's a bit discouraging.

I would recommend just looking up some broad genres of music, OR you could even start from what you like and go to something like Pandora, last.fm, gnoosic etc. and enter that artist name to get more artists like that artist. then you can take little steps and eventually you'll discover things that way
>>
File: folder.jpg (28KB, 302x302px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
28KB, 302x302px
I would honestly say avoid sites like pitchfork, RYM (Rate Your Music), Sonemic like the plague. These sites tend to fall into one very specific definition of "good music" and everything else is "bad music", you'll find legit fans there but RYM is a lot like /mu/ in terms of "picking some small subset of types of music and circlejerking them". Some of the "/mu/core" albums are actually pretty good but a lot of them are severely overhyped or not truly interesting, so all I'm saying is don't limit yourself to those

Here's another one, old school punk rock I listened to a lot growing up...Most people here will say it's shit, it's "not punk rock" or both but whatever. It's good shit, Graffin's talent is in his intellect and lyricism not in the creativity of his & Brett's compositions. So, stuff like that, some artists are good for one thing, like great lyrics, great texture, great mood, whatever, and not so good at others. Some hit all the sweet spots at once and those are the really good ones
>>
File: folder.png (3MB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
folder.png
3MB, 1500x1500px
The music critics and shit are good but only if you are experienced enough to separate your tastes from their tastes and use what they say to better review your own work. Like if you taste wine, you might listen to a professional but you always want to verify and test the taste yourself. It's the same with music. You want to form your own opinions on the whole thing. A lot of people just parrot the critics and that's why sometimes albums receive (or don't receive) a disproportionate amount of hype & craze.

Then there's the objective side of music, which you could argue forever because that's the thing, there's not much objective consensus in terms of taste because it's all subjective. It's hard to explain but maybe you understand. Just like what you like, basically, but don't toss out opinions as facts.

If you're into metal you might like this ("Lore" by Elder), this is a lot different than the others I posted. I'm not normal into stoner rock/metal much, but this album blew me away. And the album art is also beautiful which doesn't hurt

Enjoy OP
>>
File: folder.jpg (34KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
34KB, 500x500px
So this is probably too "normie" for most of /mu/, but I think EDEN (formerly known as The Eden Project, IIRC) makes really great electronic music.

So there's another totally different genre to try out. There's so much out there man. And don't knock one genre till you've heard lots of shit from it cause there's always something that will surprise you.
>>
>>74576489
don't ask, SEARCH. with your mouse and a button, yknow?
>>
>>74576815

Dude, I literally just said I wasn't OP and then recommended four albums. That post isn't by OP. lol
>>
>>74576489
>>74576815
if you're gonna ask anybody ask in real life
>>
File: folder.png (404KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
folder.png
404KB, 600x600px
So yeah OP, this is what you have to deal with if you come to /mu/. Dumb fucks who can't read getting mad because you came to a music board to talk about music.

Good luck brah, here's a pretty interesting album
>>
>>74576876
This didn't make grammatical sense and you're autistic. Congratulations

>>74574751
Look up some essential charts and lurk on chart threads. If you like metal I'd recommend System of a Down and hardcore punk like Minor Threat
>>
>>74577019
His post made perfect grammatical sense, what are you talking about? Do you have trouble reading?
>>74574751
>Is listening to only two or three artists a fuckton considered bad?
I'd consider it bad. You're missing out on a lot. In addition to the advice given in this thread already, I would add that Wikipedia is a great site for getting overviews of genres and what characterizes them, discovering more related genres, and getting an idea of the notable artists of particular genres.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.