[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well, rap is not music for one thing. I mean, it isn't music,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1502774470721.jpg (62KB, 242x320px) Image search: [Google]
1502774470721.jpg
62KB, 242x320px
Well, rap is not music for one thing. I mean, it isn't music, you know, it's talking. That's what is says "rap." "Rap" means "talking." It's not music, it's talking in meter, it's got rhyme, and it's got...it has meter, it has rhythm. It's not music. It's...you know, it's okay. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, I have no problem with it. It just isn't music, you know. And people who get to be great at rap are not great musicians, they're just great at rap, you know. There's no road from rapping into music, you know what I mean? And, music is something you can get better and better and better at. I don't know if you can do that with rap. I don't know if whether it has that kind of space in it or that it leads into infinite possibilities. Music does.
>>
>>74565434
he's not wrong
hip-hop =/= rap
>>
rapping = talking
sampling = stealing

very simple
>>
why are you writing like that?
>>
>first result on google is this thread
good to know that there isn't an actual famous musician who's actually that retarded
>>
>>74565460
Really the only thing niggers do
>>
>>74565508
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1RaBdSCjAY
>>
>>74565492
(See) >>74565547
>>
>>74565434
Rapping is a vocal style used in countless genres and existed for centuries in different forms, it is mostly applied now in hip hop over electronic music.
>>
>And people who get to be great at rap are not great musicians, they're just great at rap, you know. There's no road from rapping into music, you know what I mean? And, music is something you can get better and better and better at. I don't know if you can do that with rap. I don't know if whether it has that kind of space in it or that it leads into infinite possibilities.
this part is kind of true. if you practice and get really good at rapping you're not really getting good at music. whereas if you get really good at, say, rock or jazz, you can make music in other genres too. hip-hop artists are the least versatile and flexible probably.
>>
I wonder if Jerry thinks electronic music is music.
>>
>>74565760
You post like all hip hop is acapella. There is music behind it just like there is music behind ''sing''.
>>
>>74565801
i wasn't referring to instruments, and I wasn't saying hip hop isn't music. I disagree with his statement that rap is music, I was just highlighting that specific part.

singing and rapping are both musical even if they have no instrumental accompaniment
I just think being good at hip-hop is a specialty, and people who are great at it aren't necessarily good at music "in general"
>>
>>74565838
>I disagree with his statement that rap is music
FUCK
I meant to type
>I disagree with his statement that rap isn't music
>>
>>74565760
>hip-hop artists are the least versatile and flexible probably.
there are so many electronic genres a hip hop producer could slip into, I don't know why you would say this
>>
>>74565838
I feel like rapping is more related to poetry reading over music than it is to singing. Although a lot or rappers incorporate soul elements into their performance, singing is still more dynamic.
>>
>>74565868
It comes from the mindset that electronic=one genre. Of course not true at all, but a lot of people see it that way and find more variation in other types of music with instruments.
>>
>>74565889
''Electronic'' isn't even just one instrument which makes it so dumb.
>>
>>74565870

Poetry being read over music is still part of the music. Ivor Cutler was a songwriter/musician as well as a poet.
>>
>>74565914
Exactly, but most people think it's just a computer that's used.
>>
>>74565760
>>74565434
>>74565434

No this is one of the most ignorant ways to think. Any rapper is paying constant mind to timing and rhythm same as any person playing instruments.

Music at its most base is vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony. Not rhythm, melody, and harmony but rather having at least one of these attributes.
A musician is one who performs music.
This statement becomes a musician is one who performs vocal, instrumental, or mechanical sounds having rhythm, melody, or harmony.
So does rap qualify in any of these regards.
Vocals sound. Check.
Okay so it makes a noise now does it have rhythm?
Check.
Holy shit rap is music!!
So rappers are musicians.
Rap flows can be represented in musical metre.
And if theres an infinite amount of possibilities within metre then there is within rap flow.
Thats just on the sound end of it but it actually has a double punch since....
rap has roots in linguistics. In wordplay so you have alliterations, homonyms, oronyms, not to mention being culturally relevant with pop reference and the ability to literally put a rap over any form of organized sound makes it dope.

6/10.
I wasted the best part of my high on this shit.
>>
File: 1491493921061.gif (200KB, 300x243px) Image search: [Google]
1491493921061.gif
200KB, 300x243px
>>74566241
>>
>>74566241
plus there is music behind it, thats what makes it hip hop and not just vocals
>>
>>74566241
>Any rapper is paying constant mind to timing and rhythm same as any person playing instruments.

Meter is not the only quality of music. And just because someone talks in meter, does not make it music. that's called "poetry"
>>
>>74566241
I didn't say rap isn't music or that rappers aren't musicians
>>74566333
even if it was just vocals it would still be music
>>
>>74566333
Well I was just debating his argument which was rap and not hip hop.

>>74566355
Holy shit. Are you illiterate? Are you old enough to be on here because I don't think you have an adult level reading comprehension. Go back and read what was defined as music in my original post fuckwad.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.